Bradford Guardian 3: Viable EDC Option for Skinny Suckers?

Hi all,

For a while now I've had my eyes on the Bradford Guardian 3 as a replacement option for my EDC folder. In my eyes it's just the perfect fixed blade. I love it.

However, the one thing that has kept me from buying this knife is the overall length of 6.75" (according to the Bradfor Knives website), which, I assume, is the total length of the blade when sheathed.

The reason why this makes me a little reluctant to buy it is because I'm quite the skinny sucker with not a whole lot hip width to speak of...
Speaking of just width (so not circumference), I'd say I only have about 12 inches to work with. Meaning that when I'd carry the Guardian 3 horizontally on my belt, it would take up more than half of that. And that has me a little worried.

Because what attracts me to the Guardian 3, aside from its beautiful aesthetics, is that it's a fixed blade that should be small enough to carry it on your person on an every day basis without it becoming cumbersome. Without you even really noticing that it's there. And I'm afraid this might not be the case for me. I'm afraid it might still be too big for me.

I have looked at most pictures on the internet of people carrying it on their belt, but it's always difficult to accurately judge their proportions in close-up pictures.
And sadly I also live in Europe so I don't really see any way for me to try it out first before making my purchase.

So my first question is; would any of you that own the Guardian 3 confirm that the overall length of the blade when sheathed is indeed 6.75"? And second; would you say that this knife would indeed be a little too cumbersome and unpractical for someone of my stature?

Perhaps someone here with a similar build like me (about 5'8"/5'9", 130lbs) that owns a Guardian 3 could give me some input on that?

Of course any valuable information and input on this matter will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

I'm 6', 180lbs, so I can't say wether a G3 in it's horizontal sheath would be too cumbersome or not. My only advice would be to try it. If the horizontal leather sheath doesn't work for you, Brad offers a taco style kydex sheath. When combined with a C-clip, it can be worn cross-draw diagonally, horizontal, vertical, inside the waistband, or take the clip off & carry it in your hip pocket.

There are other carry options to consider...
You could opt for the kydex sheath, which would allow for vertical carry; or just stick the standard leather sheath in your pocket.
Have you contacted Bradford to ask about the possibility of getting a leather G3 sheath with a vertical carry option?

I am about the same height as you, but 35 to 40 pounds heavier. That being said, I have a 30" waist.
I like to carry the G3 on a 45 degree angle on my weak side, or in a pocket sheath.
You could easily modify the leather sheath to ride on a different angle, or get a different sheath.
The G3 is definitely worth solving a carry issue.

The G3 fits beautifully in a Bark River Mini Fox River sheath. I have one & prefer it over the horozontal sheath. The BRK sheath can be carried vertically, or cross draw diagonally, which is how I prefer to carry it since I always carry a firearm strong side.

I don't think overall length includes the sheath, it's usually from blade tip to handle butt. The sheath will add a bit of length. But as you can see it's a cross draw sheath, so it's not sitting horizontal. You could always get a slimmer kydex sheath made, you could try front pocket carry, you have a few options.

I don't have a Bradford Guardian 3. I've never handled one. I have looked at them quite a bit though. My main issue is the stock handles. They're way too blocky. They do have some handle scales that are rounded and contured, but I don't know if they're available except as an accessory and not as stock.

I'm pretty skinny myself - my size 32 shorts fall down if I don't wear a belt. The fixed blade I carry is a Spyderco Street Beat, 45° backwards cant, IWB at about 3-4 O'clock. This is not ideal for EDC use. If I carried for that, I'd go horizontal at 11 O'clock, or vertical at 3 O'clock. I carry the way I do so it doesn't get noticed.

The Guardian 3 is about the same proportions as the Street Beat, except for being wider. I don't know about the sheaths Bradford offers, but most stock sheaths from companies are made for versatility, which means that they're not necessarily optimal for your preferred method of carry. A custom Kydex sheath could be quite a bit lower profile than a sheath with a Tek-lock or similar attachment to the belt.

6 3/4" total length of knife; 7 1/4" when sheathed. I wear a size 34 jeans, and the knife is perfect under my "outside" t-shirt. I never know I'm carrying a knife until I need it. I've owned six of these, AFAIK.

The OAL of my knife and sheath, using Brad's leather sheath is 7.5 inches (191 mm). But I don't use the leather sheath so it's still pretty new. The OAL of the knife and the Armatus kydex sheath that I use is 7.3 inches (189 mm).
The BRKT mini-Fox River or Essential sheath is a nice option for angled carry. I've used several different knives with them and they work very well.

I don't have a Bradford Guardian 3. I've never handled one. I have looked at them quite a bit though. My main issue is the stock handles. They're way too blocky. They do have some handle scales that are rounded and contured, but I don't know if they're available except as an accessory and not as stock...

The 3D handles are available as the default config if you want it that way. Brad will build you a G3 just about any way you want it.

Hi all,

For a while now I've had my eyes on the Bradford Guardian 3 as a replacement option for my EDC folder. In my eyes it's just the perfect fixed blade. I love it.

However, the one thing that has kept me from buying this knife is the overall length of 6.75" (according to the Bradfor Knives website), which, I assume, is the total length of the blade when sheathed.

The reason why this makes me a little reluctant to buy it is because I'm quite the skinny sucker with not a whole lot hip width to speak of...
Speaking of just width (so not circumference), I'd say I only have about 12 inches to work with. Meaning that when I'd carry the Guardian 3 horizontally on my belt, it would take up more than half of that. And that has me a little worried.

Because what attracts me to the Guardian 3, aside from its beautiful aesthetics, is that it's a fixed blade that should be small enough to carry it on your person on an every day basis without it becoming cumbersome. Without you even really noticing that it's there. And I'm afraid this might not be the case for me. I'm afraid it might still be too big for me.

I have looked at most pictures on the internet of people carrying it on their belt, but it's always difficult to accurately judge their proportions in close-up pictures.
And sadly I also live in Europe so I don't really see any way for me to try it out first before making my purchase.

So my first question is; would any of you that own the Guardian 3 confirm that the overall length of the blade when sheathed is indeed 6.75"? And second; would you say that this knife would indeed be a little too cumbersome and unpractical for someone of my stature?

Perhaps someone here with a similar build like me (about 5'8"/5'9", 130lbs) that owns a Guardian 3 could give me some input on that?

Of course any valuable information and input on this matter will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

You could also get the kydex sheath and just static cord carry it. That way it can move around on your beltline however you want to place it. I think static cord carry is one of the best methods for carrying these smaller edc fixed blades, especially if you have a body shape that might make having a fixed sheath on your belt uncomfortable.

(Here is a picture incase you don't know what static cord carry is)
knife-static-line.jpg

(Drawing the knife the cord pulls the sheath off which then hangs from your belt)

That said have you looked at some other options? The Spyderco Street Beat is a good little knife around the same soze as the Bradford G3. I find it very comfortable to carry even using the Spyderco G-clip. Or the Spartan Enyo comes with a little rubber snap loop loop that makes carry very comfortable. Although it is a smaller knife, I don't know how big your hands are.
enyoblack1.jpg

You can buy those rubber snap loops individually to make sheaths more comfortable to carry.

The Bradford Guardian 3 is such a great little knife though. Perfect for edc, if you can figure out a way to make its sheath work I don't think you will be disappointed.

I want to thank you all for your kind and helpful responses! It really is greatly appreciated.

After having taken all of your suggestions into consideration, I think I'm currently leaning towards going for a kydex sheath instead of the leather. Because I get the impression that this would take the overall length, width and thickness of the total package down the most. Am I right in saying this? (Thanks for the exact dimensions by the way, Dalefuller & TortugaNH)

I have been looking at the Armatus Carry sheath, which I think looks rather beautiful and really compliments the blade in general.

The reason why I was initially attracted to the horizontal carry option was because of its easy concealment. Even when wearing just a t-shirt it should be fairly easy to conceal without anybody noticing it's there. Because unfortunately in my country it's not exactly common to carry a knife on you, so even carrying just a simple folder is quite frowned upon - let alone a fixed blade.
Concealment is therefore an important factor for me and I feel that horizontal carry would be best for that - which is why it'd still be my preferred carry option. Although, admittedly, I'm warming up to carrying it a little diagonally. I don't see that really being an issue either in terms of concealment, especially when carried IWB.

What are you guys' experiences with the different carrying options and sheaths in terms of concealment? I feel like the leather sheaths are bound to be a little bulkier and therefore harder to conceal compared to most kydex sheaths. Would you agree?
And please let me know if you have any other recommendations for sheaths and carry options. I'm afraid I still have to find my way in the fixed blade market. The Spyderco G Clip looks interesting too.

I'm also very intrigued by the static cord carry option, Lapedog. Although, judging from the photos, I'd be a little worried about it (sheath and blade) disappearing down my trouser leg... Though I'm not sure how likely that is to happen.

Thanks again, guys! You have been of tremendous help.

The G3 fits beautifully in a Bark River Mini Fox River sheath. I have one & prefer it over the horozontal sheath. . . .
. . .
The BRKT mini-Fox River or Essential sheath is a nice option for angled carry. I've used several different knives with them and they work very well.

Anyone know where to get the Bark River sheaths without the knife?

And here are the Bradford provided leather and kydex sheaths side by side for comparison. The overall length difference is about 1/8th inch with the knife sheathed, the kydex being a smidge longer with my sheaths.
View media item 2140Sorry about the awful shadows.

Enjoy

Reactions: vba
I have the Bradford Guardian 3 Wharnie M390 and an LT Wright Frontier valley.
If you think the Bradford 3 is too big the look at LT Wright line. They have quite a few that are sub 3.5" and some that are sub 3". they make oustanding knives at very reasonable prices.

Back