Bradford Guardian 4 ...choice of blade steel and grind

To be fair, I probably wouldn't worry much about any knives coming out of the Larkin shop regard less of the steel used.
very true, but 3V vs m390 is a big difference based on the tasks some will use it for. 3V has a large impact rating so its great for chopping and blowin bricks in half. while m390 has great edge retention and stainless properties it doesnt have a large impact rating like 3V does. and if you want longer edge retention for cutting you would want m390.

but either would do... but really tehy are purpose chosen imho. im not sure some people would really see a difference but thats debatable.

very true, but 3V vs m390 is a big difference based on the tasks some will use it for. 3V has a large impact rating so its great for chopping and blowin bricks in half. while m390 has great edge retention and stainless properties it doesnt have a large impact rating like 3V does. and if you want longer edge retention for cutting you would want m390.

but either would do... but really tehy are purpose chosen imho. im not sure some people would really see a difference but thats debatable.
Like I said, on smaller blades the benefit of 3V is fine edge stability similar to say W2, 52100 or AEB-L.

Reactions: Mo2
M390, Full flat grind, Nimbus coating.

M390 has excellent edge retention and corrosion resistance, which may come in handy if the blade is often exposed to blood (especially if not washed off for a while) or weather. I have not sharpened mine yet (it came true scary sharp) so can't say about ease of sharpening.

Nimbus coating should do nothing but add to the corrosion protection, though to be honest, I got it on mine mostly because I like the way it looks. I don't think creates any drag on the blade at all).

The saber grind is really high, so you would probably be fine with either. I went saber just for a little added strength (or so I think) in case for some unexpected reason I have to push the knife into harder use than I ever anticipate doing. If I was to use it more as a slicer than all around, I'd go FFG.

Overall, I love everything about mine. I did sand down a bit of the back edge of the micarta handle (angle was a little sharper than I wanted) to smooth it out. Now, in my usual saber grip, it's the most comfortable knive I've ever owned. I feel like I could work with it forever.

Reactions: vba
Back