1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Bradford Guardian - Micarta or GWood?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Iron Lung, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Iron Lung

Iron Lung

Dec 13, 2020
    I'm planning to buy a Guardian 3, but I can't seem to find alot of opinion regarding the gwood scales. Everyone seems to love the micarta - and I'm leaning in that direction - but I was hoping to get some insight before I choose. If anyone has experience with both, I'd love to hear which you think is better. Aside from that, any other thoughts on the knife in general would be welcomed. Thanks

2. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Guardian 3 - Yes
    3D scales - Yes
    Micarta - Yes

Lee D and jfk1110 like this.
  3. Ironbut

Ironbut Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Micarta 3D. This is the camo. It's darkened a little with use, but I like it.
    [​IMG]

4. G-Wood is G10 with some sort of stabilized/processed wood added to the layers (hence the name).
    It should be pretty much the same, performance-wise, as Micarta or G10.
    Bradford's Micarta is fairly polished anyway, so if you like the look of the G-Wood, you won't be sacrificing anything in terms of grip.

5. Thunderpants

Thunderpants

May 21, 2020
    Micarta is my default answer to almost every question.
    "What do you want for breakfast?" - Micarta
    "What should we call our baby?" - Micarta
    "What's your favourite handle material?" Frn. No, just kidding. Micarta.

6. stevekolt

stevekolt Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Micarta, it is my favorite handle material in general.

jaypopsti likes this.
  7. KraZeeInTheNW

KraZeeInTheNW Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 25, 2020
    Have you ruled out the textured G10 scales? I prefer them to the 3D because they're thinner and easier to conceal (0.59 vs. 0.9) for scout/horizontal carry.

8. Iron Lung

Iron Lung

Dec 13, 2020
    I do prefer the look and the thickness of the 3D. Is it really a huge difference in profile when concealed?

9. Iron Lung

Iron Lung

Dec 13, 2020
    Beautiful knife! Thanks for the pic - it's exactly the one I'm leaning toward

Ironbut likes this.
  10. KraZeeInTheNW

KraZeeInTheNW Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 25, 2020
    The 3D is almost twice the thickness and was enough for me to go with the textured G10, but I'm also used to mostly thin handles/scales like Doziers. The 3D looks really nice. I'm sure it's personal preference that swayed me to the textured G10.

11. NMK85

NMK85

Nov 10, 2015
    Just received my G3 today. Unfortunately, it landed in my mailbox about 5 minutes before I had to head out of the house for work, so I haven't really checked it out yet, but it's a really nice, small blade. Ridiculously sharp right out of the box.

I got M390, green micarta 3D scales, black oxide fasteners, and a sabre grind. Lookin forward to givin it a test run.

I HAVE noticed my hands are a bit large for the handle. Everything fits and is relatively comfortable, but the finger choil runs up so close to the bottom of the blade, I'll have to be very mindful of how I use it. I doubt it will cause any issues, but It IS a very small knife (I wear L-XL gloves).
    Regardless, I'm happy with it so far, and I'll most likely be getting a 4 as well.