Recommendation? Bradford or L.T. Wright?

DavidZ

Gold Member
Bradford knives or L.T. Wright knives? Which do you prefer?
Anyone have and use both? They both have some similar styles.
I would love to hear from my Blade Forums brothers!
My search function here failed me.
Thanks
Dave

IMO they're quite different, actually:
  • Bradford tends to use higher-end steels - for them, 3V is a basic steel, while for LTWK, 3V is the highest end they use
  • Bradford handles are removable and tend to have "rougher" finishes - as in, not smooth or polished, leading to better grip. LTWK handles tend to be fancier, with liners and such, and polished - even their micarta
  • LTWK only offers one type of leather sheath, which is quite nice. Bradford leather sheaths are very basic, and they offer kydex and nylon, as well
  • LTWK has a much broader range of sizes and shapes of knives. Bradford focuses on a few specific shapes, in different sizes
For a pure user, I'd go with Bradford. I prefer rougher handles, removable scales (for cleaning purposes), and kydex sheaths. LTWK are usable, sure, but I feel like they're going for looks much more so than Bradford is.

That being said, if you need a bushcraft knife in scandi, you need to go with LTWK - Bradford doesn't have scandi grinds. In this case, though, I'd recommend checking out Casstrom knives, as well - they make nice bushcraft scandis, for less.

Check out the Cedric and Ada channel on YouTube - Pete's reviewed a Bradford, and at least one LTWK.

And, one last point - I'm of the opinion that if you're looking for higher-end fixed blade knives (in the $200+ range), you might want to look at customs. There are makers on here that make excellent custom fixed blades in that price range. They'll be every bit as good as Bradford or LTWK, but you can customize them to your choice of size, shape, steel, handle material, etc. I'd recommend checking out @Robert Erickson and @Alex Dron before buying either a Bradford or an LTWK.

Last edited:
IMO they're quite different, actually:
  • Bradford tends to use higher-end steels - for them, 3V is a basic steel, while for LTWK, 3V is the highest end they use
  • Bradford handles are removable and tend to have "rougher" finishes - as in, not smooth or polished, leading to better grip. LTWK handles tend to be fancier, with liners and such, and polished - even their micarta
  • LTWK only offers on type of leather sheath, which is quite nice. Bradford leather sheaths are very basic, and they offer kydex and nylon, as well
  • LTWK has a much broader range of sizes and shapes of knives. Bradford focuses on a few specific shapes, in different sizes
For a pure user, I'd go with Bradford. I prefer rougher handles, removable scales (for cleaning purposes), and kydex sheaths. LTWK are usable, sure, but I feel like they're going for looks much more so than Bradford is.

That being said, if you need a bushcraft knife in scandi, you need to go with LTWK.

Check out the Cedric and Ada channel on YouTube - Pete's reviewed a Bradford, and at least one LTWK.

And, one last point - I'm of the opinion that if you're looking for higher-end fixed blade knives (in the $200+ range), you might want to look at customs. There are makers on here that make excellent custom fixed blades in that price range. They'll be every bit as good as Bradford or LTWK, but you can customize them to your choice of size, shape, steel, handle material, etc. I'd recommend checking out @Robert Erickson and @Alex Dron before buying either a Bradford or an LTWK.
Thanks for the great insight! I will definitely check them out!

Great advise from tyyreaun tyyreaun on looking at the custom maker's market. I shop there often these days.

Between LT and Bradford, I like LT Wright's stuff better. It has a little more of a traditional look, or maybe it's a "bushcraft" look. It's a different character, overall. I don't like their polished wood or micarta handles but there are plenty of offerings with good grip, just don't get the ones with shiny handles if you want the grip.

To be nit-picky on some of the comments above, if you shop on LT's website there are kydex sheaths available and some stores will have them (the one I'm thinking of isn't a supporter so I won't post a link, but he likes Kershaws a lot). Taking off the Bradford scales requires a tool I don't have and LT epoxies the handles on along with corby bolts so nothing is getting in there and they shouldn't be coming off without some major abuse.

And completely against what tyyreaun tyyreaun , LT's are completely made to be used and are built very well. I think they're built better than Bradford knives, but both are really good in the quality department. I'm honestly not sure why LT's knives would be viewed at as a "for looks" as I think they are pretty purpose built and you only pay the extra for looks if you want fancy handle materials. I think LT's designs are function first and they happen to get the looks most of the time as well, which is why they cost a bit, because you get both. I honestly think they are some of the best knives available until you start getting into the stuff from other knifemakers, and I prefer them for knives under 5", when I can afford it. Over 5", usually Busse and kin, knife maker's again, or becker (after some upgraded handles).

Again, nothing against Bradford, I like LT's more, but it's probably more a design thing. Both are very good quality and both would be great choices if the blade and handle suits your needs.

DavidZ DavidZ , if you have a particular model in mind, that might be helpful as well. I've read reports that some of the bigger guardians are less comfortable in hand for hard use (at least the non-3D handles are) but I've only used the smaller ones. Besides general sizes and superb quality, I think they're very different knives, knife brands, and generally cater to a different overall crowd, with some overlap.

Great advise from tyyreaun tyyreaun on looking at the custom maker's market. I shop there often these days.

Between LT and Bradford, I like LT Wright's stuff better. It has a little more of a traditional look, or maybe it's a "bushcraft" look. It's a different character, overall. I don't like their polished wood or micarta handles but there are plenty of offerings with good grip, just don't get the ones with shiny handles if you want the grip.

To be nit-picky on some of the comments above, if you shop on LT's website there are kydex sheaths available and some stores will have them (the one I'm thinking of isn't a supporter so I won't post a link, but he likes Kershaws a lot). Taking off the Bradford scales requires a tool I don't have and LT epoxies the handles on along with corby bolts so nothing is getting in there and they shouldn't be coming off without some major abuse.

And completely against what tyyreaun tyyreaun , LT's are completely made to be used and are built very well. I think they're built better than Bradford knives, but both are really good in the quality department. I'm honestly not sure why LT's knives would be viewed at as a "for looks" as I think they are pretty purpose built and you only pay the extra for looks if you want fancy handle materials. I think LT's designs are function first and they happen to get the looks most of the time as well, which is why they cost a bit, because you get both. I honestly think they are some of the best knives available until you start getting into the stuff from other knifemakers, and I prefer them for knives under 5", when I can afford it. Over 5", usually Busse and kin, knife maker's again, or becker (after some upgraded handles).

Again, nothing against Bradford, I like LT's more, but it's probably more a design thing. Both are very good quality and both would be great choices if the blade and handle suits your needs.

DavidZ DavidZ , if you have a particular model in mind, that might be helpful as well. I've read reports that some of the bigger guardians are less comfortable in hand for hard use (at least the non-3D handles are) but I've only used the smaller ones. Besides general sizes and superb quality, I think they're very different knives, knife brands, and generally cater to a different overall crowd, with some overlap.

Another great perspective. Just what I was looking for.

I was thinking of either the LT Wright Outback in 3V, or the Bradford Guardian 4.5 in Elmax.

And completely against what tyyreaun tyyreaun , LT's are completely made to be used and are built very well. I think they're built better than Bradford knives, but both are really good in the quality department. I'm honestly not sure why LT's knives would be viewed at as a "for looks" as I think they are pretty purpose built and you only pay the extra for looks if you want fancy handle materials.

Oh - don't get me wrong - I'm absolutely not saying that LTWK's aren't meant to be used, etc. They're great knives.

My point was, comparing the two, LTWK does add non-functional, aesthetic features, such as scale liners or polished handles. Bradford doesn't. In that sense, I believe LTWK is targeting people who care about aesthetics to some extent, while Bradford goes purely for usability.

You can, of course, get an LTWK with matte micarta scales and no liners - no fancy aesthetic touches. They just offer other options as well; Bradford doesn't. To the OP's question, comparing the two companies and their products, I think it is a difference worth mentioning - in short, if you care about how much your knife looks as well as how it functions, LTWK may be the better choice.

Also, as a point of comparison, this is the fixed blade I'm using now:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BxqlEpRnkbN/

Custom build from Robert Erickson - 5" blade in M4 steel @ 65HRC. It cost me about as much as a high-end LTWK would have. With a less expensive steel, and forgoing some of the excessive customization I requested, it would have cost about as much as a Bradford Guardian 4, or an LTWK Genesis.

I like both Bradford and LT Wright knives ... but for selection of styles and steels I have to give LT Wright a slight edge.

The Braford 4.5 is a favorite and the one Bradford that I kept and use regularly.

I have several LT Wrights of different models and steels ... I really like LT Wright's AEB-L offerings ...

and The Outback is one of my favorite knives of any brand ... great for an everyday belt knife and can hold up to almost any needs ... I also use the GNS in AEB-L often ... and the LT Bushcrafter is a handy knife ... their Forest Trail knife is great mid to a bit above sized knife that can be a camp knife because it is big enough for most anything ... yet very nimble for smaller tasks ...

the Bradford 4.5 has a slightly longer handle which fits me and is very comfortable compared to the Bradford 4 that has cut outs for the lanyard loops at the heel of the handle ... I hand sanded it down a bit because it can be a bit pointed if your hands are bigger than average and you grip it tight ...

here are some pictures ... top to bottom ... a GNS Maple and AEB-L ... a GNS OD Green Micarta in 01 ... a GNS OD Green Micarta in AEB-L ... a GNS OD Green w/orange liners in 01 ... an Outback Rustic Brown Micarta in 3V ... a Bushcrafter OD Green in 01 ... and a Rogue River Desert Irinwood in A2 ...
20190927_150745.jpg
the Bradford 4.5 and the Bradford 4 both 3V ... shows the handle differences ...
20190927_151450.jpg

and the LT Wrights are definitely made to be used ... they are great knives that hold up to pretty hard usage ... and are comfortable to use for extended periods ...

if you like LT Wright's designs ... you may want to look at Battle Horse Knives too ... they are the other half of Blindhorse Knives when they split into Battle Horse and LT ...

Last edited:
Depending on what you want you want in the knife ... and what you want to spend ... you may want to consider some of the makers on BF ...

Carothers knives are second to none ... Shannon Labs offers different steels and are well built ... Gollik knives uses Elmax in some of his work.

Last edited:
Oh - don't get me wrong - I'm absolutely not saying that LTWK's aren't meant to be used, etc. They're great knives.

My point was, comparing the two, LTWK does add non-functional, aesthetic features, such as scale liners or polished handles. Bradford doesn't. In that sense, I believe LTWK is targeting people who care about aesthetics to some extent, while Bradford goes purely for usability.

You can, of course, get an LTWK with matte micarta scales and no liners - no fancy aesthetic touches. They just offer other options as well; Bradford doesn't. To the OP's question, comparing the two companies and their products, I think it is a difference worth mentioning - in short, if you care about how much your knife looks as well as how it functions, LTWK may be the better choice.

Ah, my bad. I misinterpretted your comments and I see what you mean now.

I do tend to strongly favor yhe matt finiahed, no liner, A2 variants of LT's knives so they're more affordable and functial, compared to the polished micarta. I've come to really dislike the lack of grip on the polished micarta, it loses one of the best features of micarta and thay's the grip when wet.

I think LT's small knife offerings are a very good value, especially some of the older models in D2, and now more in AEB-L.

Another great perspective. Just what I was looking for.

I was thinking of either the LT Wright Outback in 3V, or the Bradford Guardian 4.5 in Elmax.

I've had a variant very similar to the outback and it's a very nice model. I found the handle very comfy and the blade shape very good, but it was polished micarta and when I deiscovered the difference that actual makes in a woods knife. The outback is pretty close to the gns handle on a genesis blade, both of which are considered gold standards in the bushcraft category.

The 4.5 seems like a winner as well, I just don't have experience with that one. Great size range, not much those 2 couldn't handle.

My current LT's (got rid of the rest but had 6 at one point).
a0yJ2Qyl.jpg

Last edited:
Also, as a point of comparison, this is the fixed blade I'm using now:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BxqlEpRnkbN/

Custom build from Robert Erickson - 5" blade in M4 steel @ 65HRC. It cost me about as much as a high-end LTWK would have. With a less expensive steel, and forgoing some of the excessive customization I requested, it would have cost about as much as a Bradford Guardian 4, or an LTWK Genesis.

I've noticed Robert's work lately also ... he has had some knives that not only look great but the fit and finish and materials have peaked my interest too ...

@Carl Colson is another I like a lot ...I have one of his blades a Pike County Skinner ... it's a 3 1/2" blade approximately ... a beautiful knife and was a sweet knife last hunting season ... his picture of it not mine ...
20190927_172753.jpg
20190927_173009.jpg

I've noticed Robert's work lately also ... he has had some knives that not only look great but the fit and finish and materials have peaked my interest too ...

@Carl Colson is another I like a lot ...I have one of his blades a Pike County Skinner ... it's a 3 1/2" blade approximately ... a beautiful knife and was a sweet knife last hunting season ... his picture of it not mine ...
View attachment 1203596
View attachment 1203599
That is sweet. I would just spend the day admiring it!

Back