Bradford USA: Guardian 3 and 3.5 Variations: Saber, Flat, Wharncliff, G-Necker, Sheepsfoot

Thanks, as to comparison shots to the BK or Izula, I've neither of those, for fixed blades I've sold all and settled on the Guardian series by Bradford USA, while some may say the handles need more contour, maybe on the larger 6" one might be nice for chopping with, but otherwise the texture they do by the machining of the G10 works out great and provides a very solid grip.

But there are other folks that may have the knives you mentioned and could post up a photo, they are more than welcome to add to this thread.
G2

also a note on the leather sheath, the sheath they provide works fine and is very functional as she sits, I only embellished since that's something I do and may give other people an idea of things they can also modify to their sheath as well. The embossing on the sheath could have been deeper but since it was already assembled it made it harder to make that impression, I inserted some wood inside the sheath so it didn't compress the sheath as I was making the embossing, but with that it wasn't as hard a surface as you need when getting leather to take an embossing, but, it does add some elegance to the sheath, at least I feel that it does. Those celtic embossings sure are nice!

i was wondering,wandering in my head, is there any chance of a 3.5? to somewhat fill the size gap between the 3 and 4? not that it needs filling or couldn't be called the 4 minus?(tee-hee) but seriously, lovin' this thread and movin' closer to a bradford all the time. i hope that's not a permanent decision on no more wharnies, as i love the shape but couldn't/can't get one right now. howe's knife shop does still have several for those looking. (hope that's okay to post).has anyone tried the n690 or cpm-s30v versions? if so, what are your impressions? too many question marks?????????? nah, too many questions. sorry long but good weekend.:thumbup:

I've had the N690 blade and it takes a very nice edge, I haven't tried their S30v but imagine there shouldn't be any problems with that. They're mostly known for using M390 which is amazing steel too, but the 3v is my fav ;)

G2

Gary, thanks for this thread, you've definitely cost me the price of a Bradford. Your latest one does make me curious though- I've always thought of 3V as more of a chopper type of steel, may I ask what makes you like it for a small knife, especially over M390? Also, if you order the kydex sheath do you still get the leather one?

MVF, you're welcome, glad to help!

As to the 3v, yes it's very good as a chopper steel since it can take impacts better than most any other steel, but also it allows it to be ground down thinner and still be a strong edge. I'm sure the M390 would compare about as good for most things we would use them for, but I've owned a few 3v blades and always loved the edge they took. I kept badgering poor Brad to keep grinding these Guardian 3's thinner, this one came out great!

As to the leather sheath, Brad can answer that better, but since the leather is part of the Guardian3 package and the kydex is an option you can also purchase, I would say you would get a box with both sheaths inside.

G2

Yes sir, our standard procedure is to always ship both sheaths when a kydex is added with the ordered.
Thank you all for the support! So glad to hear that everyone is enjoying the knives.
-Brad

Thanks for the responses. It's great to see Bradford's involvement in this forum and interest in their customers.

Took a couple more shots of my 3v one;

Guardian3_sun by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G3_sheath by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

I have both this leather sheath and a kydex setup for neck carry, today I wore it in the leather with the vertical adapter, made it handy to unsnap quickly and drop it in the side door of my car as we went into a store that would most likely frown on it being worn.

Very handy size this one!
G2

Last edited:
Are those glow scales? Does he offer that?
Took a couple more shots of my 3v one;

Guardian3_sun.jpg~original

G3_sheath.jpg~original

I have both this leather sheath and a kydex setup for neck carry, today I wore it in the leather with the vertical adapter, made it handy to unsnap quickly and drop it in the side door of my car as we went into a store that would most likely frown on it being worn.

Very handy size this one!
G2

Thanks Drew, it is a very cool knife...

And shinyedges, no, they are not glow scales, I don't think he has that option yet, but since you made mention and he does frequent these threads, I'm sure you just placed a seed there :)

G2

That would be nice, thanks Gary for the fast response.
Thanks Drew, it is a very cool knife...

And shinyedges, no, they are not glow scales, I don't think he has that option yet, but since you made mention and he does frequent these threads, I'm sure you just placed a seed there :)

G2

Yep, I imagine he's thinking about them now, he already has a slew of options to choose from though so it may be a while before you see something like that come about.

And the one shot I took, the light above the knife I pictured that as being a scorching sun beating down, without mercy onto that Guardian3 with it's Nimbus finish, seemed fitting ;)
G2

Very nice thread, reviews and pics! You all talked me into getting the FFG/Satin CF version (really like the black/blue G-10 version, but CF wins every time) straight from Brad's website. I went ahead and ordered the kydex sheath to have more carry options. I am really looking forward to giving this little guy a try!

Thanks enjoy, it's a great small fixed blade, the G10 is pretty grippy, some have smoothed it down a little, but I like the grip as is.
G2

Nice pick, this is a great combo, unfortunately it's the last for a while. We are out of Carbon Fiber for the G3. I will find some more soon, but this is the last for a bit. Thanks
917222040648c24f753a69d85e3917e4.jpg

Enjoy! Heading your way tomorrow!

Nice one Brad!

The tool seen in your photo is that a bit that is available elsewhere?
G2

Nice pick, this is a great combo, unfortunately it's the last for a while. We are out of Carbon Fiber for the G3. I will find some more soon, but this is the last for a bit. Thanks
917222040648c24f753a69d85e3917e4.jpg

Enjoy! Heading your way tomorrow!

It was almost mine. At least I got to see a pic of one with the CF scales...lol

I had a long day with the in-laws today and I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived home and found my christmas present to myself sitting by the door :)

My G3 finally arrived and I am super amazed with the F&F on this little knife. I am a very, very, harsh critic when it comes to F&F on knives (and I’m no stranger to sending back a knife when I feel the end product was not 100% there). I spent some time critiquing the knife and I can honestly say that I can’t find anything wrong with this knife.

The carbon fiber feels great (not rough, and very grippy due to the pattern) and the 18-20 degree edge is SCARY sharp.. There is factory sharp, and then there is custom sharp.. This little knife is custom sharp. You can tell someone spent the time making the edge as perfect as possible. Thank you for that. Overall, Bradford’s knives are top notch :thumbup: Great design, and I look forward to acquiring more variations!

Here are some pics, sorry for the lighting quality (nighttime right now, so there’s no natural light). Notice how the 810 dwarfs this little blade lol, this thing will be a perfect fixed for EDC IMO. More pics soon!

b7b2b32e-4ab9-4891-aa84-9edfc0fdb566_zpsgcie8ydx.jpg

92ca9a65-0fd9-44af-ac69-eafba313ecbe_zps8zdnl2a6.jpg

421da7a8-9dc2-4aad-b51f-9902369ee2fa_zps0hocdnzz.jpg

a92336ae-706b-45a7-8da5-f8a52407cb5f_zpsppikjkqb.jpg

1208f4a8-0a47-4224-82eb-35b28a5608d5_zpsluvsiahu.jpg

cfa2dd65-58ae-4f56-89c2-edbd0a887102_zpsivzqukre.jpg

fb0c3236-06ce-4b8a-a38b-ef880498f978_zpswsujqjwt.jpg

dc58b226-6a86-4373-b457-e3b9c12804ab_zpssthfhty7.jpg

Last edited:
Back