Bradford USA: Guardian 4, 5, 5.5, 6

Not sure except it would be a 6" blade of course, but right now his website just indicates a teaser photo that it is coming soon.

The G4 that I have is exceptional, love that rascal feels just right blade length for me at least and I've not felt the need for a full flat grind on this one at all since it's such a high grind.

G2

The G5's and G6's are nearly complete, I am just finishing the sharpening now. Here are some specs:
●CPM-3V @ .200 +.001/-.000
●59-60 Rc, double temper all and cyro
●Sabre grind on 90%, just a couple FFG in this batch.
●Stonewash and Black DLC blades.
●Experimental "Nimbus" finish on about 10% of the blades.
●G5 is 5.5" blade length, 5" cutting edge
●G6 is 6.5" blade length, 6" cutting edge
●All blades come with standard David Brown custom kydex.
●Trying to make these "officially" available late next week :) 5/7/15 ish

Thank you all for your continued support!
-Brad

uploadfromtaptalk1430283770744.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1430283799074.jpg

Last edited:
Brad, those look terrific -- and glad to see that they all come with Kydex sheaths -- that's a big improvement.

Couple of questions, please:

Why 3v steel on the larger models, compared to say, S30v?

Why so few FFG?

What is your "Nimbus" finish?

Thanks -- and congrats on your new models!

Brad, those look terrific -- and glad to see that they all come with Kydex sheaths -- that's a big improvement.

Couple of questions, please:

Why 3v steel on the larger models, compared to say, S30v?

Why so few FFG?

What is your "Nimbus" finish?

Thanks -- and congrats on your new models!
Great questions, the 3V is really the undisputed champion in terms of toughness, much more critical for the larger blades which are most likely woods and survival carries. S30V is a great all around steel, 3V is tougher.
The FFG are quite few because I believe a Sabre grind makes more sense for this application. The FFG's are significantly lighter weight, more than you would expect. The more bush craft type tasks like battoning really demand a slightly heavier blade, therefore most of the run is Sabre grind.
The Nimbus finish was determined during a Facebook contest in which I called upon the wisdom of people to name the new "accidental" finish. I was extremely pleased with all the suggestions and ended up choosing Nimbus. It means dark cloud in Latin which is not only reminiscent of the finish that was created but also the weather here in the NW for 8 months of the year :)
Very excited about this run of knives and to hear your feedback!
Thanks,
Brad

Great questions, the 3V is really the undisputed champion in terms of toughness, much more critical for the larger blades which are most likely woods and survival carries. S30V is a great all around steel, 3V is tougher.
The FFG are quite few because I believe a Sabre grind makes more sense for this application. The FFG's are significantly lighter weight, more than you would expect. The more bush craft type tasks like battoning really demand a slightly heavier blade, therefore most of the run is Sabre grind.
The Nimbus finish was determined during a Facebook contest in which I called upon the wisdom of people to name the new "accidental" finish. I was extremely pleased with all the suggestions and ended up choosing Nimbus. It means dark cloud in Latin which is not only reminiscent of the finish that was created but also the weather here in the NW for 8 months of the year :)
Very excited about this run of knives and to hear your feedback!
Thanks,
Brad

Very excited about these! 3v! Heck yes Man!

uploadfromtaptalk1430359841119.jpg
Quick shot of the FFG Nimbus G6 I've been carrying for the last couple days. This G6 is wearing Red G10 scales.

I agree, 3v is some powerful stuff, had a small folder with that steel and it took an incredible edge and was ground down very thin, very impressed by that steel.
G2

ps that one knife is almost the size of that bridge ! :D

I agree, 3v is some powerful stuff, had a small folder with that steel and it took an incredible edge and was ground down very thin, very impressed by that steel.
G2

ps that one knife is almost the size of that bridge ! :D

Gary, I bet it will take you a long time to put your super edge on that knife:).
Brad you need to do videos on the G5 and G6.

haha indeed it might take me a bit longer to sharpen one as big as a bridge !

And yes, a few more videos would be great, they look to be some fierce creatures right there! I can't imagine needing more than the Guardian 4 right now though, that is a very well made and solid knife!

G2

Mail man arrived today, poor truck, it was listing to one side, I found out why, there was a box from Bradford USA knives to be delivered, one for me, two for my friend Raj, just took some photos of these beauties, so, fair warning guys/gals, break out your wallet, these are very cool, I thought the Guardian 4 was sizeable enough but both the 5 and 6 are really nice too. Now the 5 and 6 that showed up are Full Flat Ground, which Brad made only a few, these are also in CPM3v and let me tell ya, they are ground down nice and thin, all arrived razor sharp!!! Nice work Brad on these and the edges. I LOVE the Nimbus finish as Brad has named it, I instinctively called it a 'Storm' finish, when holding it, you felt like it was the day after the apocalypse, my youngest daughter couldn't stop grinning when she was looking them over, she said 'Now THIS I could take out a Zombie easily! ' hehe, kids, whaddya gonna do with them eh?

Guardian 6 full flat grind with Nimbus finish

BradfordG6 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

BradfordG6_crop by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Guardian 6 full flat grind with DLC finish
Guardian6_DLC by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Guardian 5 full flat grind with Nimbus finish

Guardian5 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

and a few comparison shots;

Guardian 6 and 5

Guardian6_5 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Guardian 6, 5 and 4

Guardian6_5_4 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Guardian 6, 5, 4 and 3 Wharnie

Guardian6_5_4_3 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Enjoy folks !!!
G2

edited to add this group shot, Guardian 6, 5 and 4, in DLC coating, Nimbus and stonewash

Guardian_Group- by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Last edited:
Sorry to be the bearer of such news...but they are pretty cool eh? :) I really like that Nimbus finish on there too, I think that will be a definite identifier of these in the coming months.

I'll try to capture a profile that shows how thin these are ground down to.

G2

The bad news is that they come in 3v, which has quickly become my favorite steel. I have it in a Bravo Necker II, an Aurora, and in the Spyderco Tuff. Absolutely love the stuff. It sharpens up surprisingly well. I'll have to either sell some knives or save up but eventually a Guardian5 in 3v will be mine! Or maybe a 6. Or maybe a 4. Oh hell, I don't know.

That's a plan, but I am not sure if the Guardian 4 will be available in 3v, right now it's just the 5 and 6..the 5 is pretty nice size, the 6 is a do all kinda think, have a small neck knife and one of those in your kit and you're good to go ;)
G2

Back