Bradford USA: Guardian 4, 5, 5.5, 6

While Raj got these with the really nice clips for the sheath, I thought I'd try my hand at making an in the waist band strap thingy, so you can wear it cross draw or on your right side vertical in the waist band with these keeping them tethered to your belt. While the snap allows you to unsnap in order to remove without taking your belt off, seems to work fine, first time trying to do something with a carry like that. Here's a couple photos of one on the Guardian 5 sheath;

IWB_Closed.jpg~original

IWB_Open.jpg~original

G2

Wow Gary, that is very nice.I like that.
Looks like you can use it like an inside the waist carry if one wants to do that with such a knife.
I need to talk to a friend about this, 'waist band strap thingy".:)

Thanks RJ, probably made them a little longer than needed, but that gives you some leeway in the carry, as your body/pants do the actual retention of the sheath, the strap is mainly a tether to it doesn't run off with out you. And the one in the photo is on your sheath for your Guardian 5, your Guardian 6 has a similar one as well and my Guardian 6, thanks again by the way for that rascal! has one too, seems a little easier to manage than the tek lok.

G2

I forgot one important fact here, while the knives are made by Bradford USA, Brad has David Brown making his kydex sheaths, David is also a Maker/Service provider here on Bladeforums, nice job on all of those sheaths, thanks David!
G2

I borrowed a digital mic from work, and measured the edge thickness on my Guardian 6, at the shoulder of the edge bevel, it's about 18 thousandths so it's pretty thin to win ;)
G2

The handles should be good, they would be a bit coarse possibly for bare hands but you'd not lose your grip I think, but overall the blades are not a chopper style knife, would do in a pinch possibly? but not a heavy bladed knife, wouldn't immediately think of chopping with it since getting it.

G2

Thanks, Gary. Every now and again your next knife purchase kinda hangs in mid-air while you ponder things like your needs, your finances, and your options. And often after that pondering, you still haven't made up your mind.

Your review here has been that catalyst that makes up my mind.

I've been kicking around a Bradford piece for some time. I like his design, materials, and the fact that he's up here in Washington definitely helps. But narrowing down the size of what I wanted still was a bit of a mystery. Having you post one of your fabulous photos of all of these pieces side-by-each, as well as your educated commentary, has made this very easy for me.

Thank you for taking the time and producing an inspired and inspiring review thread for these knives.

As always you are most welcome! And yes these are very nice knives, I have a request in for a Guardian 3 full flat grind in CPM3v and Nimbus blade finish and toxi green/black scales...of course ;) and a kydex sheath for neck carry.

G2

uploadfromtaptalk1437194420527.jpg. Just a quick update. The G4 M390 batch is just wrapping up and we will make them available next week on a first come first served basis. You asked for it, we made it :). Thank you for all the support, we are very blessed.
-Brad

Nice Brad !
G2

and for those that have a Guardian 3 and wondered about the difference between that and the Guardian 6, here's a comparison shot, while my 6 is DLC on the blade, maybe over the years it'll attain a Nimbus like finish.

I've chopped through some branches with the 6 and it cuts amazingly well for as light a blade that it is, due to it's thin edge grind, it just whispers through the branch ;)

Bradford_6_3 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

Last edited:
Very nice!
G2

Finally got the 3D Carbon Fiber scales all done, and they are insane. Machined, buffed then polished aircraft grade tight weave CF.
Enjoy!
uploadfromtaptalk1447460543672.jpg

Nice Brad need a shot looking down on the spine
G2

Wow, comfy looking right there :)
G2

I know this is an old thread but I'm bumping it anyway (don't you hate that). It's still relevant and the pictures are great.

Gary,
Do you have any updates on the 4, 5, and/or 6 after having used them for a bit? Have you had a chance to try the 3D scales yet? I'm thinking about trying a 4 or 5 for a general camp knife. I really like the blade shape on the 4 but it's expensive for a S30V knife especially when you add a kydex sheath.

Thanks, as to my take on them, I do like the 4 pretty well, the 6 for me, might have been handier with a saber grind, while I love flat grinds, a knife that large that you might try and chop with, could use a little heft as well as helping it to baton better too, but, being thin edged it did chop pretty well, so I may be all wet about that, but I know I felt like I would have liked a little more weight forward for that.

I've not had a chance to try the contoured scales yet, they do look great, while the original have a strong tactile feedback with all the cnc'd peaks.

G2

Back