Bradford USA is worthy of attention

I got a Guardian 3 (in m390) back in April. It is on my hip unless I am in a jurisdiction that does not allow fixed blades.
I just got back from a long weekend cabin "camping" trip where we did a good bit of hiking. I used it for everything from fire prep (including hand batoning small chunks of wood) to food prep. It was there when I needed it, and disappears when I didn't.
View media item 2135Brad also took care of me when I had an issue with one of the leather sheaths. Great guy, great company. Will definitely buy from them again. I'm looking at a G3 Wharnie and either a G4 or G5 in the next year (or sooner if I can free up more "fun" funds).

Enjoy

That looks delicious......

That looks delicious......

It was: grilled steak, sweet potato cooked in the coals, fresh cucumber, carrots, and bell peppers, and a short glass of whiskey. The Guardian 3 sliced everything easily, and the stainless steel plate did not fold or dull the edge.
With the Olympic mountains in the background, and the kids running around, it was fantastic -- if a touch chilly.

Here are a few more notes about the Guardian 3 that came to mind:
  • My wife will happily use it, even if she is a bit more careful than usual since it is kept sharp. She appreciates having a pocket knife, but does not like carrying fixed blades herself.
  • My mom, who is not a knife person, saw it over the summer and her comment was "Wow, that is beautiful"
  • My uncle, who I found out used to make knives long ago, was impressed with it.
  • I have used the G3 in public places where people can be very skittish about knives, and have never had a negative reaction. That may be due to demeanor more than the knife though.
  • Getting used to a fixed blade, especially sheathing it, was interesting. I only jabbed myself once (just a pinprick) and only cut one shirt during the learning curve. :oops: Now, I have built the necessary muscle memory.

Enjoy

I really like FB the size of the G 3, It's at the top of my list. This thread might push me over the edge.

I really like FB the size of the G 3, It's at the top of my list. This thread might push me over the edge.
Do it. I have 3 G3's and have carried one everyday since 2015. It is the only knife that I own multiples of, and I am not a crazy collector either! As everyone else has said, Brad is a great dude, and will take care of you!

I have two G3's (3V and M390) an M390 G4 and four M390 Gatsby steak knives. Needless to say, I'm a Bradley man.

Is there any option for a skeletonized G3 for custom scales? I live in a jurisdiction where 3 inches is the limit. The G3 is listed as 3.5 but I bet covering the bare choil up a bit more with the scales would fix that issue.

Have any of you ever used a Guardian with the black coating?

I really like the coating for aesthetic reasons, but I wonder how well it holds up.

^I haven't done the DLC coating that they provide. One interesting option they have, which can avoid some of the downsides of coatings, is their "Nimbus" finish. This is like a black colored stonewash, it's a finish process but not actually a coating on the blade. Looks cool, reduces glare/shine on the blade. If I get another Bradford, like the upcoming new G3.5 or whatever they call it, I'll get the Nimbus finish again.

^Interesting. I'll see if I can find some good pictures of that nimbus finish. Sure sounds good.

On the other hand, if the DLC coating is as good as Benchmade's BK1 I think we should be good, haha.

^Check out my G4 review, linked earlier in this thread. It has pics of the black Nimbus finish. I dunno if my cell phone pics do it justice, but it looks really cool in person--and avoid the things that I don't like about finishes.

I have often looked at the G3 and G4 but never pulled the trigger. A YouTube video I viewed stated that the tips are extremely fine. Is this a concern?

^Check out my G4 review, linked earlier in this thread. It has pics of the black Nimbus finish. I dunno if my cell phone pics do it justice, but it looks really cool in person--and avoid the things that I don't like about finishes.

That finish actually looks really good.. Might even like that better than the dlc coating. Thanks for mentioning it!

I have often looked at the G3 and G4 but never pulled the trigger. A YouTube video I viewed stated that the tips are extremely fine. Is this a concern?

I believe the tip is finer when you go with the false edge option. I don't expect it to be a concern with either the sabre or full height edge, however. But then again, never handled one myself.

I have the full flat grind version of the G3 in m390, and I have not had any problems with the tip. It does not seem overly thin, and it has stood up to what I have done with the knife. However, I treat my knives like cutting tools, and not pry bars, so others may have different experiences.

Good luck

Ok so I have a Bradford G3 Flipper with the DLC coating that brad does and it is amazing. It is the strongest DLC i have ever found have put it into several pop cans just to see if it would scratch and it hasn't yet.

I feel like it need to inform people that I noticed a new Guardian 3 in SG2 which is even better edge retention than M390.
here is a pic of one i snagged. I just need to save up and buy one
cBNQGPZ.jpg

Brad's great to deal with. When I wanted a G3, I didn't see the exact steel/handle/color combo that I was looking for on any of the usual on-line knife sites. I called him & told him what I was looking for. He said that he didn't have any made up at the time, but to go ahead & order it & he'd make one that day. Sure enough, I got an e-mail with tracking info that afternoon.

I was wondering if you guys could tell me how well the Nimbus finish has held up for you so far? Have you done any batoning with it, for example?
I am thinking of also going with the Nimbus finish combined with the black micarta scales, so I'm curious how well it holds up.

By the way, Maximus, I can't quite tell from the pictures in the review you did of your G4, but did you go with the black or green micarta handles on yours? I feel they're the green ones, but they're quite dark in some of the pictures.

Thanks guys! Super stoked about finally getting a guardian.

No batoning so far, otherwise just regular use around home, garden, and property and it holds up fine. It's a finish not a coating, so should be pretty durable. The handles are OD green.

I haven't done any batoning with mine. Just normal everyday use. The finish has held up well.

I have a 3V G-3 with DLC. a homemade kydex scratched it pretty easily. It kinda upset me, but eh....I bought it to use anyway. I think I already posted above that I think the G-3 is amazing. It would be my #1 EDC if it were legal where I live.

Back