Braiding a leather fob and installing a bead

You guys are welcome, had an inquiry about these so I thought I'd bump this up again,
G2

Thank you Gary, for great information. I always have scrap leather left from very soft and supple English goatskins used for bookbinding. Now I have a use for those pieces. If this thread had not been bumped up, I might not have found it.

Welcome sir, a long time ago, a fellow leathersmith told me that you can always find use for 'scrap' pieces of leather, he said he was at a crafts fair and was making a belt when this fellow stopped by and saw the punched out round cylinders of leather where he was making the holes for the belt buckle. The guy asked if he could have those? My friend Tom said 'well sure, I guess, but what good are they?'
The guy told him that he repaired old clocks and those small cylinders of leather, when glued down onto the hammer, worked great for striking that clocks bell ;)

From then on Tom said he always kept and found use for most all his 'scraps'
G2

For those looking for cheap but very thin, soft and strong leather, take a look at eBay for 'chamois' used car washing. You can get a square foot of very thin but strong goatskin for a dollar or two. I use it as lining leather for a lot of projects as it's exceptionally soft.

Stitchawl

It's been three years ago since the last time I had a David Boye folder, got one yesterday and right away made a nice braided leather fob and slid on a Viking rune bead for decoration and aid in drawing the knife;

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

making the first slit and then pulling the one side through and tight against the bail helps keep things snug

G2

yxELVip.jpg

XRC7aoe.jpg

Thanks sir, updated the images that photobucket gobbled up and put them into my flickr account, took a bit of time to wrangle all that around, but at least now folks can get a sense of how to make something like that.
G2

We see what we want to see, I have dyslexia a bit so numbers can be treacherous so I rely on copy and paste a great deal back in my office work days, lessens the chance of me making an error. I can stare right at a set of numbers and still not read them right every time, it's pretty frustrating.

And, do you know what DNA stands for?

National Dyslexia Association

;)
G2

Now thats funny! Ya know you are really right we do see what we want to see! This is not the first thread that I have missed interpreted into cowboyese.

Back