• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Brand new handle material!! {Thunderstorm Kevlar} more sizes added.

BenR.T.

Tanto grinder & High performance blade peddler
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I thought I would let you all know that I am now selling a new handle material, I am calling it Thunderstorm Kevlar.
It is an industrial made Kevlar composite, with brass fibers running through it.
For finishing, it will have the small brass wires that can stick out and will need buffed off. I find polishing with a terry cloth rag does a good job of grabbing and breaking off the fibers and leaves a nice finish. It takes a very good polish.

The other cool aspect of this material is high heat resistance. It is rated up to 600 degress F, more than twice that of Canvas micarta!

I have been working with the manufacturer, and have a small qty available to ship right now. I will be selling it in 10"x10" squares, and currently have 1/8",3/16", and 1/4". Here are the prices, and shipping will be in a USPS med flat rate box at $13. I can fit quite a few sheets in one box.

15 pcs-1/8" 10x10" - $60 each
8 pcs-3/16" 10x10" - $72 each
4 pcs-1/4" 10x10" - $96 each
7 pcs-3/8" 10x10" - $112 each

Please PM or email me to make a purchase. Paypal works best for me.

The material comes flat/smooth sanded(about 120grit finish), not glossy like Micarta comes. The nice thing about that, is that it is ready for glue up with little or no prep to the back.
I have included pics of the a finished knife I used it on, and also a pic of what the material will look like when you receive it.

Take care!!
Here it is when finished

As it ships

Last edited:
If I had the funds right now I would grab some of this. I was lucky enough to get some early on from Ben and it is on my personal EDC: (Photo does not do it justice)
RyanWEDCHighUinta_zps77819767.jpg

That's interesting looking stuff. Are all the fibres brass, or are there other materials in the mix?
And what is the designed purpose of this stuff? Have you created it specially, or have you found a new use for an existent product?

It is mainly Kevlar, with a tiny bit of fiberglass and brass fiber throughout. It is an industrial material that works great for handles. G10, micarta, carbon fiber were all designed for other high tech industries and trickled down to the knife industry, this is the same kind of deal.

Kydex too. I don't see it as a negative, just interested. I think every material in knifemaking, except cutlers rivets, is used in other fields. What is it used for?

I tell you what, I can't wait to try it out. Been admiring it since I first saw it. Should look sweet on a slipjoint. ;)

Yours is in the mail Jared. I honestly can't wait to see what you come up with, I think it will fit your style very nicely!

I will keep this thread active, and update it as I get material and sell material. I plan on getting more 1/8" in a couple weeks and possibly 3/8" as well.

I will monitor this for sure. I would love to pick some up from you but just dumped my gear budget for the month today. Went to my first ever hammer in, spent my first two days ever pounding on steel, and left with a new propane forge.

I have not run any in my mill, and I am definitly not a machinest. But the manufacturer says it is machinable.

Thanks, it really is good looking stuff, and the pics don't do it justice. I just ordered some more sheets of 1/8" and also a sheet of 3/8", if anyone needs certain thicknesses just let me know!

Thats actually a very good price too..You can get six sets of 1 1/2" x 5" scales from one 10x10 piece..Ill definitely be ordering some in the next week or so..

Ben could I get a sheet of .1875? I will send payment once availability is confirmed.

PS did i miss the payment info?

I got it and it looks like great stuff, very cool. I'll post a pic here after the knife is done.

Yours is in the mail Jared. I honestly can't wait to see what you come up with, I think it will fit your style very nicely!

I will keep this thread active, and update it as I get material and sell material. I plan on getting more 1/8" in a couple weeks and possibly 3/8" as well.

I milled it and it seems to mill very similar to canvas micarta. No chipping or issues to speak of. It milled better than LSCF which is what I tend to compare it to most.

How does it mill?

Thanks for the update Jared!

HI, if you dont mind me asking what grit did you take that handle too to get that look? Its awsome stuff:thumbup: Thanks

I would take it to at least 1500 grit, I think I went to 2000 on that one. I don't have a buffer, so my handles are all hand finished. You may be able to power buff it from a lower grit.

Here are some pics of one I just finished. It is not a high gloss polish material. I took it to 2000 grit soaked it with some mineral oil and buffed it lightly to get this finish. It is very grippy and looks super cool in person. I really like it. Very similar to burlap I have used.

Back