Brand new ZT 0452 problem

ron finkbeiner jr

Gold Member
Hello folks, just got a new ZT 0452 from bladehq. When I first took it out of the box and tried the Flipper it was darn near impossible to flip. I was wondering if anyone else had similar issues with their knives and what suggestions said knife owners could offer? This is my first bearing Flipper so my knowledge on these are precious little. Thanks in advance for your help.

It'll break in.

Just keep flipping
rock.gif

Hello folks, just got a new ZT 0452 from bladehq. When I first took it out of the box and tried the Flipper it was darn near impossible to flip. I was wondering if anyone else had similar issues with their knives and what suggestions said knife owners could offer? This is my first bearing Flipper so my knowledge on these are precious little. Thanks in advance for your help.

You have two options here:

Option 1. Send it back and ask for a replacement. I've bought from Bladehq before, they are awesome!

Option 2. Disassemble (ZT = super easy) use KPL oil (or Nano oil or any other lubricant of your choice) for the pivot & bearings, put it back together (at first the frame torx screws - don't tighten them too hard, last one the pivot screw) and tighten the pivot screw to the point where you feel the flipping action is great + blade is centered well (not touching sides). Then tighten all the frame screws (do not use too much pressure or force). This should work - your knife should be well centered and flip well. If the problem still persists after these steps, then that means the knife's frame was not machined well or it's a factory defect. At this point please go back to Option 1.

I have the same problem with mine. Barman1 is correct, if you rest your fingers on the lockbar the knife is almost impossible to flip open.
But it does break in after awhile.

What do you mean by "impossible to flip"? If it is that the detent is too strong, like was already said, keep flipping and keep any pressure away from the lock bar. If it is that once you break the detent, it won't flip open all the way, send it back because the detent isn't strong enough or something else is impeding a smooth flipping action.

If either problem is more than you care to put up with, send it back. I wouldn't disassemble or mod a new knife. Once you doing anything like that to a knife, it is yours and the dealer is off the hook. Anything after that point is a warranty issue and is between you and the manufacturer.

I had a 452 with the same problem.The lock bar detent was a bit too strong.Make sure it's a keeper before you dissemble it and bend lock bar out from the blade.Make sure to not,go too far as to compromise the lockup.

For me this is a common thing with brand new knives in general. It resolves on its own with break in. I just got a new 452 recently too. Haven’t noticed the lockbar issue. Maybe it’s just the way I hold it.

You said this is your first bearing flipper so I'm willing to bet it's all about finger placement. Be mindful of where your middle finger rests when you try to open it. Like others have said, you're probably putting more pressure on the framelock than is necessary.

Here's a quick experiment to try, assuming you're right handed: simply try flipping the knife with your left hand. If it pops out easily then you are definitely digging that lockbar in.

Hope you figure it out regardless. The 0452 is a hell of a nice knife!

There's a way to tell if it's a problem with your hand placement or a problem with the knife.

Hold the closed knife with the spine of the blade facing you and the pivot toward the heel of your hand. Without touching the lock bar, open the knife by pinching the blade with thumb and index finger of your free hand. If this is difficult, then there's a possible problem with the detent. Shift your grip and put light pressure on the lock bar and pinch it open again. Repeat with heavier pressure on the lock bar. I don't have an 0452, but my 0450 is almost impossible to pry open with pressure on the lock bar.

Using this method you'll be able to see and feel exactly what impact lock bar pressure has on the detent strength. Let this test guide you in determining if the knife is defective or you need to train your hand.

Some early adopters of the 0450 and 0452 never could get the hang of gripping it correctly.

0452 is really sensitive to any pressure on the lock bar.
Keep fingers clear.

^^^^99.9% of the time this is the problem. Ive found that gripping the knife with the pinky and ring finger on the clip and keeping the pointer and middle off the knife completely will remedy this problem. It has become a habit for every frame lock I own. I could about guarantee this is your problem.

You can also (may make some cringe) purposefully push down on the lockbar, pinch the blade, and open and close multiple times until it lightens up some. This makes the break in process time considerably lower. My 0630 was "impossible to open" as well. I took off my pointer and ring and did the above method to break in. Now it opens with fingers on it or not. I went so far as to bet buddy's at my dealership $5 they couldn't open it for fun.

The 452 doesn’t have as much real estate to grip as some other knives. You may have to learn to hold the knife without putting too much pressure on the lock bar. Once. You learn this you won’t have any issues opening the knife. It’s ok to rest a finger on the lock bar, just don’t put pressure with the part of the finger that’s resting on the lock bar.
Try to stretch your grip. Put your middle finger on the lock bar cut out or just above it and the other two fingers on the clip. Stretch your index finger on the flipper tab.
You cannot put your middle too close to the lock bar steel insert/ where the screw is.

It happens that one slips through QC occasionally. I one got a ZT 0462 that was basically locked up and wouldn't flip with any amount of pressure. Sent it back to Blade HQ and they shipped out another that was perfect.

I'm sending mine back to bladehq. Will probably go another route as far as folders go. It's a bummer really but such is life. Thanks for the advice folks, I really do appreciate it.

My 0562 did the same thing when it was new. Hard to flip. Loosen the pivot and then snug it back down until it flips good with no blade play.

Back