Photos Brand NEWBIE and ADDICTED

Looks like an an intact full-size Collins Legitimus - that is a neat find!

Initially I thought Connecticut pattern but it might be something else from when they had a wiiiiider variety of patterns available. Someone here will be better versed in the pattern id but it is cool.

up1fawTWGlrb74Y7jlVdN86c8bEPT_2dO4hX2z1z4_urlFeGeGHY7BAYsAh3uS1LGnZhJUXmrSBQqHv6dskoci9Niee0w0yAjVfncL0aR3MlQBj2AR-v-5wBJy7e9Q_YnSqbqa5QwN5D-awvs1XWrFMENQQUMXwtG9BRfEkBDZiiLefbXsaOUMk-rbZ6iGpws5YX9g2Cf6CFVq_VTnMrIjcS4j943zIuM9XCPvIbXPtkdtZ8z0XtxAMCOiDgQqqwGddxA0H0Ea5rs5HVQroUeXtGL_qpryMHzi_a-4SogjtCPVyN_ycZN41CjfdgZ9Wlsh9BdkxmAd_dbkqGe0G1-ntailu1e8egF_DR8kQ0fmg5LUagUQPoYKXoW2pIuyOY_OYLsQfd6qyQu40EeNQUX0Kr2p_iRUC6cSQWpjBS6Macci41AMG9RvPYNcw4ZD3i17dvN53y1ypETAFI9wuMU2F4KPiipnIfMWRLzakca98JqG_3GZCvDhmm2k3Ib72BUNCqQyTn32Y4-MGmQ6gGvzlCpna_EznU7lI_GvSt76-Gt8wSvR1u1--mVMppF9eJ6G7blBx1GZGQyY6DW-1OVSjJqd_Yjpug4yGyi64r7RhlDfslxem_3xwuqg9aSw7ym-iEurJn6vXG4RMTrMdUISTMRI15tS4Q2EV9pDfc2DdfIOc=w434-h770-no

You realize that if, at some point, you seek help in quitting this addiction you won't find help here lol ;)
a little judicious sanding and the rust nodules will be gone from the surface of the Plumb.

a little judicious sanding and the rust nodules will be gone from the surface of the Plumb.

Thank you Markv

I sanded the Eastwing (find from the garage)a little and like that process and result so far.
Here is the Plumb I found and mentioned...

https://goo.gl/photos/wgsYDrgrabh2fLbt7

I have had to slow down, take a step back before I go at this Plumb or the Collins...
https://goo.gl/photos/bwdsRvZiw9GVq8Mk9
I want to use them, but not cause to much harm in the learning curve process LOL!!

I found this ax here in the corner of the basement when we moved in and before the other day never gave it much thought.

https://goo.gl/photos/hkWdHt1omqzhSrjs8

I have just started today, slowly taking a Nicholson flat bastard file and a little WD to it, want to get some experience before I hit the Collins or the Plumb.

Already this no name AX is my favorite!!! Must be the short time already spent with the file in my hands running over the bit...what a relaxing and meditative process. Addicted YES! Obsessed YES!

Headed to Brimfield this year for sure!!

Miller

Thank you Markv

I sanded the Eastwing (find from the garage)a little and like that process and result so far.
Here is the Plumb I found and mentioned...

https://goo.gl/photos/wgsYDrgrabh2fLbt7

I have had to slow down, take a step back before I go at this Plumb or the Collins...
https://goo.gl/photos/bwdsRvZiw9GVq8Mk9
I want to use them, but not cause to much harm in the learning curve process LOL!!

I found this ax here in the corner of the basement when we moved in and before the other day never gave it much thought.

https://goo.gl/photos/hkWdHt1omqzhSrjs8

I have just started today, slowly taking a Nicholson flat bastard file and a little WD to it, want to get some experience before I hit the Collins or the Plumb.

Already this no name AX is my favorite!!! Must be the short time already spent with the file in my hands running over the bit...what a relaxing and meditative process. Addicted YES! Obsessed YES!

Headed to Brimfield this year for sure!!

Miller
I believe this last axe should be a Kelly woodslasher, the red paint and eye ridges are a dead giveaway. The reason it's not marked is because they produced a lot of them for various hardware chains and it was cheaper to glue a paper label on the head than to have to make them with a different stamp for each hardware chain.

I believe this last axe should be a Kelly woodslasher, the red paint and eye ridges are a dead giveaway. The reason it's not marked is because they produced a lot of them for various hardware chains and it was cheaper to glue a paper label on the head than to have to make them with a different stamp for each hardware chain.

Amazing! I am most grateful for the information regarding the Ax I call The Necker. Its a Kelly Woodslasher!! So Cool!!
I had wondered/hoped the remnants of red paint would lead me toward an identification, and I will most definitely be looking more closely for the eye ridges!!

So much to learn and loving it!!

Thank you Hickory and Steel!!!
Such a wealth of information you have provided that will send me down the path of The Kelly brand!!
Very Cool!!

Thank you!!

Miller

Amazing! I am most grateful for the information regarding the Ax I call The Necker. Its a Kelly Woodslasher!! So Cool!!
I had wondered/hoped the remnants of red paint would lead me toward an identification, and I will most definitely be looking more closely for the eye ridges!!

So much to learn and loving it!!

Thank you Hickory and Steel!!!
Such a wealth of information you have provided that will send me down the path of The Kelly brand!!
Very Cool!!

Thank you!!

Miller
Don't thank me, thank the fine members of this forum which I picked this info up from along the way.

I appreciate the direction and hope I can contribute to the forum as much as I am already learning from it's many knowledgeable and experienced members along the way!

Just getting started:D

Careful! You'll poke your eye out! :p

I happened upon these while cleaning out a section of my basement! We purchased and live in the house my grandfather built, 1935.
G0GHMtr.jpg

...and not to hijack the Rogers Very Best thread started by Cooper... I think this is the original handle on the r MFG Co very best I scored last week...
dRAkVSi.jpg

28" handle
pYIVOCb.jpg

3&1/4" pole
9YloLq9.jpg

Pounded and rolling pole
V1nGFBy.jpg

And advice and suggestions or just opinions on how, what, if anything needs to be done with this pole?
The bit looks heavily ground down with a bench grinder maybe..?
Thank you!

I love the old handle on that axe. Those old knob end handles feel great in the hand.

Thanks for taking notice and filling in that blank for me!!
I knew it was different from what I have seen and use to, and I too think it feels great in my hand!!
I was guessing that it may be original.

If not original at least old. If it can be saved (many coats BLO) I would save it. Old axes survive. Old handles don't.

The other reason I mention it is that even a newbie knows not to throw away an axe but even many seasoned collectors have thrown away good vintage handles.

Good advice and a good reminder.
Being of limited budget, skill and experience I have been planning to try to save, rehabilitate and reuse any of the handles I have and or come across, if not for the simple reason, if it's not broke...but more accurately because every bit of the tool, handle included, tells a story that I am always drawn to.
Thanks squarepeg!

Could this Plumb Genuine be a National Axe? NOT the National Boys Axe.
It's weight is just under 1&3/4lbs. 1.665lbs I think.

Any input/opinions always welcome...regarding the Plumb ;)
N6AKow7.jpg

Z0qane3.jpg

YM6CLCr.jpg

Rbb8qG5.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Miller

It's definitely what Plumb patented or copyrighted as 'National' pattern. Interesting that this one says 'genuine' Plumb with a hatched (lots of lines) stamp on the starboard side. How many different weights these came in I do not know. The one I have (perfect match for illustrated ads for one of these dating from 1951) is not hatched, is not epoxy bedded and merely has a solid Plumb stamp and 3 2. Was there any evidence of red or black epoxy type material in the eye of yours?
I'm educated-guessing here but your's is not as finely finished (kinda of a crude curve at the back of the eye down towards the blade compared to the usual Plumb standard of quality) and I'm wondering if this coincides with when Ames took over ownership of Plumb in 1971. It's fairly certain that Nationals are a post WWII phenomenon with a patent date of Sept 10 1948 and numerous examples of 'Victory'-stamped models, as well as examples with 'patent applied for' stamped on them, have surfaced on this forum. As to whether Nationals survived (and for how long) the Ames takeover has not been established, at least not that I'm aware of.

It's definitely what Plumb patented or copyrighted as 'National' pattern. Interesting that this one says 'genuine' Plumb with a hatched (lots of lines) stamp on the starboard side. How many different weights these came in I do not know. The one I have (perfect match for illustrated ads for one of these dating from 1951) is not hatched, is not epoxy bedded and merely has a solid Plumb stamp and 3 2. Was there any evidence of red or black epoxy type material in the eye of yours?
I'm educated-guessing here but your's is not as finely finished (kinda of a crude curve at the back of the eye down towards the blade compared to the usual Plumb standard of quality) and I'm wondering if this coincides with when Ames took over ownership of Plumb in 1971. It's fairly certain that Nationals are a post WWII phenomenon with a patent date of Sept 10 1948 and numerous examples of 'Victory'-stamped models, as well as examples with 'patent applied for' stamped on them, have surfaced on this forum. As to whether Nationals survived (and for how long) the Ames takeover has not been established, at least not that I'm aware of.

Some of the photo is shadow, some of it is a sit in vinegar- National pattern. Correct the grind and hang it on a straight handle?

Guys! Great info and input...I don't know who to quote and reply to first LOL!

I only guessed before posting about the Plumb that it may date in the 60's up to the later 70's (being that it was my grandfather's and he passed at 91 years old back in '94)...not knowing if they were made into the 80's.

300Six
I unfortunately found it without handle, basically as is in the basement of my grandparents house. I did not know enough to take notice for any epoxy, but it seemed to me the head had been less handle for a long time.
AgentH
Yes the 24 hour vinegar soak. I didn't know enough about what I would prefer before my excitement took hold...newbie mistake of jumping in with both feet, I just prefer the look and process of cleaning by hand as it turns out. This Plumb soaked almost two days.
I have been reading posts and threads and I watched The Axeman in An Axe To Grind twice now...man that's great information shared by a man that makes me feel like he's talking to me as I watch him work and or explain.
I hope to find a good straight handle, no Heartwood, straight grain, at one of the local hardware stores for it. I may need a practice head and handle before I am ready to hang and post any pictures, but will definitely try, try again and use the wood wedge and follow the axe mans video and the forest service manual, I downloaded, as my guide.
SteveTall
Amazing, I didn't even think to try a search for and thru an archived section of threads, great information on that price sheet.
I have come across some of the other/similar pages but that one I probably looked over not yet focusing enough on some other possible ways to cross reference for an identification, aging, general historical research. Thank you.
It will be fun if I come across a red 16" handle for it in one of the local garage and estate sales I can sneak away to every now and then LOL!

I am looking forward to more garage time to get to the point of hanging this Plumb, as well as the Collins Legitimus and Kelly Registered Axe I am lucky to have, in my opinion.

Thanks again.

Miller from CT

Back