Brands to stay away from

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one's I avoid right now:

Zero Tolerance - Very suspect of how much of these products are USA made. We know the hardware and clips aren't. The price point is awfully suspicious to me and they share some telltale manufacturing cues with the Chinese made Kershaws. Unique grind striations etc.
So, you use a proof less, personal theory to disparage a brand? There’s a word for that...

Spyderco - Not because of anything to do with quality, I'm just unable to sharpen their edges to my liking with the way they terminate the edge against a hard, flat surface.
Might this be a matter of technique or expertise? “My Spyderco will not cut”: said no one ever.

WE Knives - Seen a few pics with clear porosity in the Ti, and I can't unsee that. One day some rich YouTube knife scientist will take the band saw to a dozen of their scales and see what's really going on there.
The first and only time I’ve heard of WEs having titanium porosity was when you made the claim in another thread. You posted a picture, but I’ve heard nothing more of anyone having the problem. After having 20some WEs pass through my hands, I’ve never personally experienced it. How many have you personally experienced it with?

Hinderer Gen 6 - He caved to the lockbar insert mafia. Sad. Wish we could have all the new features without that wart on the top of the lockbar.
So, this is a personal cosmetic thing? I guess I don’t get any of your reasoning to avoid some of the best brands in the industry.

Weasipoint Weasipoint , this is the problem with asking what brands to avoid; you’ll hear every bias or prejudice while not necessarily getting great advice. I can Whole-heartedly suggest staying away from brands that clone, counterfeit, steal, lie or demand full payment up front for a custom. It’s up to you to do the research to determine who those are. Fortunately, the resources are all here at BF.

Every manufacturer who doesn’t clone, counterfeit, steal or lie will have wins and failures. Some win more than others. It’s easier to pick a few brands known for their “wins”, like ZT, Spyderco, WE and Hinderer, and start there.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Why can't you use the corner of your wicked edge to install a sharpening choil? From images I can see of the tool online, I think it would take seconds (or so depending on edge steel and thickness).

I've cut a few with the corner of sharpmaker rod to good effect. There are just enough other great knives out there that I don't have to. If Sypderco released something I absolutely loved that still had the same edge philosophy I'd make an exception and put one in. But generally I don't want to put a crude choil into what is usually a beautifully finished blade.

Maybe I misunderstood the spirit of this conversation. I was giving the brands I stay away from and a brief description of why. Thinking the reasons might apply to other people. It's why I didn't just make a list, because what I consider a flaw might not be a problem at all to someone else.

, this is the problem with asking what brands to avoid; you’ll hear every bias or prejudice while not necessarily getting great advice. I can Whole-heartedly suggest staying away from brands that clone, counterfeit, steal, lie or demand payment up front for a custom. It’s up to you to do the research to determine who those are. Fortunately, the resources are all here at BF.

Every manufacturer who doesn’t clone, counterfeit, steal or lie will have wins and failures. Some win more than others. It’s easier to pick a few brands known for their “wins”, like ZT, Spyderco, WE and Hinderer, and start their.

Good luck!

Well of the brands I mentioned, only ZT and WE were condemnations and not just personal skill or preference things. I didn't even get to the lock failure problem that they still have not addressed.

What % of a knife should be made in USA to bear the "Made in USA" moniker?

Every manufacturer who doesn’t clone, counterfeit, steal or lie will have wins and failures. Some win more than others. It’s easier to pick a few brands known for their “wins”Good luck!

Well said.

Maybe I misunderstood the spirit of this conversation. I was giving the brands I stay away from and a brief description of why. Thinking the reasons might apply to other people.

Of course. And when those reasons are easily resolved issues, that also bears mentioning so that people are not needlessly steered away from great choices.

Well said.

Of course. And when those reasons are easily resolved issues, that also bears mentioning so that people are not needlessly steered away from great choices.

Well I think I've been pretty forthcoming about my Spyderco beef being "personal problems" and not objective condemnations. I think they make great stuff and one day hope to have the freehand skills to properly resharpen them to my liking.

Weasipoint Weasipoint , this is the problem with asking what brands to avoid; you’ll hear every bias or prejudice while not necessarily getting great advice. I can Whole-heartedly suggest staying away from brands that clone, counterfeit, steal, lie or demand full payment up front for a custom. It’s up to you to do the research to determine who those are. Fortunately, the resources are all here at BF.
It's a shame you didn't post this on page one ;), perfect response :thumbsup:

Don't listen to the seething minority here on BladeForums about Strider Knives. They're some of the best knives being made today. I don't know what inspires a grown man to audit another's military service in his spare time.

The one's I avoid right now:

Zero Tolerance - Very suspect of how much of these products are USA made. We know the hardware and clips aren't. The price point is awfully suspicious to me and they share some telltale manufacturing cues with the Chinese made Kershaws. Unique grind striations etc.

Spyderco - Not because of anything to do with quality, I'm just unable to sharpen their edges to my liking with the way they terminate the edge against a hard, flat surface.

WE Knives - Seen a few pics with clear porosity in the Ti, and I can't unsee that. One day some rich YouTube knife scientist will take the band saw to a dozen of their scales and see what's really going on there.

Hinderer Gen 6 - He caved to the lockbar insert mafia. Sad. Wish we could have all the new features without that wart on the top of the lockbar.
Your statement on ZT is WRONG. I've been to their factory and personally watch them mill Ti handles and laser cut and grind blades. They also make nearly all of their own hardware and screws in house too. Pocket clips maybe made in China if the same clip is used on a Chinese Kershaw. CAD file design will equal nearly the same grind marks no matter where it's made.

Your statement on ZT is WRONG. I've been to their factory and personally watch them mill Ti handles and laser cut and grind blades. They also make nearly all of their own hardware and screws in house too. Pocket clips maybe made in China if the same clip is used on a Chinese Kershaw. CAD file design will equal nearly the same grind marks no matter where it's made.

This is good to hear! There was a more fleshed out version of my theory posted on another popular knife board a while ago and after reading it I started drawing a lot of the same conclusions. If they're still giving factory tours I'd love to make a stop next time I'm in the PNW. I'm glad you were able to kind of see where I was coming from with the hardware and clips looking a lot like the Chinese models.

The finishes also got me. Take Benchmade for a good example of a grind finish that I've never seen replicated (not that I think it's especially attractive or think it should be replicated). Easiest way to tell a Benchmade clone is if the tumbling actually cleaned up the grind lines. But if they're using the exact same belts and tumbling media in the US facility and the China facility then I guess it's possible that Cryo's and 0562's look like they came from the same shop in subtle ways.

Well, this thread went south in a hurry.

This is an inevitable norm now. Even the Sebenza 31 thread collapsed eventually. Nobody matures past 16 now - adulthood is a lie man :eek:

In case you guys didn't notice, there is actually a perfectly mature and reasonable exchange of ideas and perspectives going on here and the only ones putting a downer on it are you two. Disagreeing on certain points is inevitable, but where do you see name calling, trolling and flaming as a result? Not here.

Okay, now that's the maturity we're looking. :rolleyes: ;)

In case you guys didn't notice, there is actually a perfectly mature and reasonable exchange of ideas and perspectives going on here and the only ones putting a downer on it are you two. Disagreeing on certain points is inevitable, but where do you see name calling, trolling and flaming as a result? Not here.
I guess you missed the attacks on the person who doesn't want to support the ChiComms (and neither do I). Called him names, etc. And look at what you posted! Sheesh. Oh, welcome to ignore. :D

I guess you missed the attacks on the person who doesn't want to support the ChiComms (and neither do I). Called him names, etc. And look at what you posted! Sheesh.

I must have missed the attacks you refer to. If that's true, I stand corrected, but the discussion I have seen today has been exactly as I described.

Oh, welcome to ignore. :D

What does that even mean?

I must have missed the attacks you refer to. If that's true, I stand corrected, but the discussion I have seen today has been exactly as I described.

What does that even mean?
I think he puts you in his ignore list. I can be wrong but that is what i interpreted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back