Brass is back on the menu... GEC #44

It's obvious, as I've already said, that they can do this type of higher quality work, from some of their bin pics shown, it appears that either a new person is at the polishing helm/table or something else is different. Anyway, just one of my pet peeves about the whole hafting process that I know they're capable of, and why sometimes it turns out like that, then other times, they're able to nail it, just baffles me. Hence the recent and beautifully done Boys Bar shielded Knife of Charlie's SFO. It is possible and here's the proof.

It's obvious, as I've already said, that they can do this type of higher quality work, from some of their bin pics shown, it appears that either a new person is at the polishing helm/table or something else is different. Anyway, just one of my pet peeves about the whole hafting process that I know they're capable of, and why sometimes it turns out like that, then other times, they're able to nail it, just baffles me. Hence the recent and beautifully done Boys Bar shielded Knife of Charlie's SFO. It is possible and here's the proof.

That example is one of gec's best attempts at scrade peachseed, which is the best jig known to man.

As far as the 44's I think the ebony may be the best one. I like the rat tail and stamped rear bolster better as it's such a classy touch that is seen on old knives, but the brass is really not my thing. However it is neat how they are really going with a gun theme with the pattern type, bullet shield and brass. Maybe I'll try one, but not sure. I did order the ebony as I suspect they will be gone fairly quick and I hear the snap is stout.

Last edited:
I don’t understand the concerns over the bone and jigging. That Tidioute 44 looks pretty nice to me.

Personally, I prefer a small smooth area near bolsters that shows good color, and then strong jigging lower.

The dents in the edge of the top bolster is ok, if not too widespread. Just a hallmark of a good fit.

My biggest issue with GEC bone is that they often color it so dark that you lose the color and it looks muddy brown.

Again, everyone is different and that's what makes it fun around here. I'm simply stating my preferences, not saying others won't like it or it won't sell well, just stating my personal likes concerning it. Some like the more orange color, some like me, prefer the darker approach, it's all relative and BTW, I do have one of these Golden Jigs reserved, so it's not going to change my mind, whether or not I'm getting one, I am! These are still the best made pocket knives on the planet today and that has always been my feeling about GEC, since 2006!

My Ebony shows a ETA of Monday !!
I’m really excited to get this one in my Hands :thumbsup: Thanks to Gunstock Jack :)

Last edited:
You guys are killing me with all this hype and anticipation. The more I read the more I get excited and, therefore, the more I spend :) I am genuinely stoked to get my Cocobolo (and now an Ebony) 44. I cant read through this post again or I might order another one.

You guys are killing me with all this hype and anticipation. The more I read the more I get excited and, therefore, the more I spend :) I am genuinely stoked to get my Cocobolo (and now an Ebony) 44. I cant read through this post again or I might order another one.

Lol! I’m on the same boat. I reserved a cocobolo last week because I kept reading this thread. And just when I thought I was happy with what I got, I returned to this thread which made me want to look at GEC’s website. Long story short, I want the od green micarta version too!:confused:

Well I guess I'm an anomaly. Only ordering one because one's all I want of this pattern.

Here's a photo comparison with a Queen model purchased about 15 years ago and edc'd for awhile:

cosCodl.jpg

MSCaOPs.jpg

lmjIJcM.jpg

fWd5kEg.jpg

They look similar, but the GEC is quite a bit more substantial. The Tidioute has a medium stout spring (5-7) and half-stops, the Queen's springs are lighter, about a 4-5 also with half stops. Other major differences include the pen blades size and location, as well as frame width. Fit and finish is good on both, but the Queen has a glued-on shield while the GEC is pinned, of course. One feature the Queen has are its D2 tool steel blades.

Last edited:
Returning to the debate about jigging, I'd like to add a few words. I'm certainly in the camp of those who like the jigging to run into the bolster as much as possible with little to no ground off flat areas. The pictures of some- I don't know if they are all like this - Goldenrod makes me think of contemporary CASE knives . Nearly all have the jigging ground smooth near the bolster, just don't admire it personally. Whereas, taking a quick look through some GECs they have the jigging running into the bolster Eureka, 38 models, 73s 68, 33 et al. The Black Box Winchester knives certainly have their wonderful jigging going into the bolsters. It COULD of course be that the 44's square caps force this but I'm not so sure. Hope they're not taking the CASE option...

Here's a 35 with superb deep claw jigging running to both bolsters and some fine pins, no sink-holes here either ;):D I know what I like and what I perceive quality to be, others will not always share this:)

zj6jhlP.jpg

Last edited:
Great comparison, Barry. I remember when Queen made those. I do prefer the overall look of the GEC to the Queen. I like the more defined or deeper shaping GEC did for the handles. Also prefer the nail nicks on the Mark side, rather than on opposite sides.

Barry it’s all your fault that I’m looking forward to a Ebony Monday :D
Any word on when the cocobolo might hit as I’m looking forward to that one to :thumbsup:

Returning to the debate about jigging, I'd like to add a few words. I'm certainly in the camp of those who like the jigging to run into the bolster as much as possible with little to no ground off flat areas. The pictures of some- I don't know if they are all like this - Goldenrod makes me think of contemporary CASE knives . Nearly all have the jigging ground smooth near the bolster, just don't admire it personally. Whereas, taking a quick look through some GECs they have the jigging running into the bolster Eureka, 38 models, 73s 68, 33 et al. The Black Box Winchester knives certainly have their wonderful jigging going into the bolsters. It COULD of course be that the 44's square caps force this but I'm not so sure. Hope they're not taking the CASE option...

Here's a 36 with superb deep claw jigging running to both bolsters and some fine pins, no sink-holes here either ;):D I know what I like and what I perceive quality to be, others will not always share this:)

zj6jhlP.jpg

You mean 35. And it is funny that is the one you choose. Because as much as I like jigging to the bolsters when feasible, the hot spot and obtrusive view that uncovered side of that bolster leaves would have me opting out. It is a great thing when so many people can love the same things specifically for their variations.

Back