Brass is back on the menu... GEC #44

We were driving down our country road going to church Wednesday night and about 1 1/2 mile from the house my wife said "look at that tennis shoe on the reflector (culvert)"; to which I said "very observant of you babe, but it has been there 3 years". So, as you see, I crack wise to all that I love. But the point is that it is funny how things that we come in the presence of often, don't really become the topic of conversation until someone else brings it up or we just happen to notice them for the first time.

GE782217GB-1.jpg

GEML488217PG-1.jpg

GEML153216BGA-1.jpg

I realize for some the conversation is simply one preference over the other. But it is not brand new with the #44. It is not brand new in the last few years. Although they typically do seem to try and run the jigging as far as they can; there are examples back several years where they chose to finish them differently.

We were driving down our country road going to church Wednesday night and about 1 1/2 mile from the house my wife said "look at that tennis shoe on the reflector (culvert)"; to which I said "very observant of you babe, but it has been there 3 years". So, as you see, I crack wise to all that I love. But the point is that it is funny how things that we come in the presence of often, don't really become the topic of conversation until someone else brings it up or we just happen to notice them for the first time.

GE782217GB-1.jpg

GEML488217PG-1.jpg

GEML153216BGA-1.jpg

I realize for some the conversation is simply one preference over the other. But it is not brand new with the #44. It is not brand new in the last few years. Although they typically do seem to try and run the jigging as far as they can; there are examples back several years where they chose to finish them differently.

Man do I love the green bone on those #48s! Some of the best I've seen... Don't know why I don't have one.

No it is not brand new, and I have waxed about it before, but of course nobody remembers it, but maybe a few, in years past.

No it is not brand new, and I have waxed about it before, but of course nobody remembers it, but maybe a few, in years past.

I didn't recall anyone "waxing" about it before; but I'm surprised I can find my way home from town sometimes. To be honest I bet we can go find a thread or two about it jigged to the bolster; not jigged to the bolster; chamfer jigged; radius jigged; end capped; not end capped; jigged too deep; jigged too shallow..... The only thing I don't ever remember anyone "waxing" about are the countersunk pins. :D

GE782217GB-1.jpg

GEML488217PG-1.jpg

GEML153216BGA-1.jpg

Mike, this is what we saw today after getting home from church. :eek:

3h6Hl52.jpg

Suddenly, the jig pattern on the #44 was less important! ;)

U4K5I76.jpg

That's right, you better run! :D

LOL, that's a moot point, you and I both know that, Mike. BTW, I would wax my car, if I could find it! Also I've lost my keys!!!:D:D

Here's a photo comparison with a Queen model purchased about 15 years ago and edc'd for awhile:

cosCodl.jpg

MSCaOPs.jpg

lmjIJcM.jpg

fWd5kEg.jpg

They look similar, but the GEC is quite a bit more substantial. The Tidioute has a medium stout spring (5-7) and half-stops, the Queen's springs are lighter, about a 4-5 also with half stops. Other major differences include the pen blades size and location, as well as frame width. Fit and finish is good on both, but the Queen has a glued-on shield while the GEC is pinned, of course. One feature the Queen has are its D2 tool steel blades.

I kinda like the curves of the Queen, although it deviates from a traditional gunstock shape. What's interesting is that both companies chose not to use a blade setup that the gunstock pattern was designed to accommodate: clip main blade with a short pen secondary with nail nick on the same side recessed further into the "grip" part of the gunstock (which allows you to get at the nail nick on the pen). I'm not complaining though. I'm not a big fan of really short secondary blades.

You mean 35. And it is funny that is the one you choose. Because as much as I like jigging to the bolsters when feasible, the hot spot and obtrusive view that uncovered side of that bolster leaves would have me opting out. It is a great thing when so many people can love the same things specifically for their variations.

Right you are about the number :):thumbsup:

But not about the hotspots :cool: :D Not found any problem with this particular one at all as the front bolster despite that groove is still radiused in so tightly that there's no ridge or lip to annoy the thumb. Not so on the rear bolster mark side but that doesn't matter as the Sheepfoot opens on the pile side and its bolster is tight and smooth despite grooves. The person fitting it must have given it a good handling before sending it from the bench, the shield is inlet magnificently too:thumbsup:

Yes it is all about aesthetics and preferences, I'm sure there are other rounded off jigging examples in addition to the ones you show, but not in my collection fortunately :D;) I just hope it's not going to be a growing tendency that's all. The Gunstocks do look good in Ebony, very smooth and sleek:cool: Is there going to be a Smooth Bone version? Think it would particularly suit this frame, think Ivory Bone all steel construction...not too bad on any front:cool:

Thanks, Will

Just picked up my ebony gunstock at the post. Wowza, the quality of the walk and talk is no issue on this one. Strong pull and very snappy.

But not about the hotspots :cool: :D Not found any problem with this particular one at all as the front bolster despite that groove is still radiused in so tightly that there's no ridge or lip to annoy the thumb. Not so on the rear bolster mark side but that doesn't matter as the Sheepfoot opens on the pile side and its bolster is tight and smooth despite grooves. The person fitting it must have given it a good handling before sending it from the bench, the shield is inlet magnificently too:thumbsup:

I don't know if it's just me, but pretty much any multi blade knife will have hot spots, so additional ones make very little difference to me. Hot spots are just kind of the way it is unless you go with a single blade.

My Buffalo came in today, and I have to say it's about as nice as any GEC I've received in the last few years. Perfect pulls (6+), no sunk pins, great F&F and W&T, pure black ebony, and nice grinds. I put it with three of my other gunstocks, two with spear main (Solingen) and two with clip main (Pennsylvania). All great knives, but the Tidioute is gonna get some pocket time for a while.

mhBDRXQ.jpg

Just received a new 44 in ebony, nice action and size. Unfortunately, out of the tube and wrapping paper the knife has some type of black deposit spots on the main blade, thought it might be buffing compound. I cleaned it off with a paper towel and some oil, much to my disappointment there was some pitting under the deposit. Guess I'll have to buff this one out. Hope our friends at GEC pay a little more attention to quality and wipe the blades off before packing.
buffalo.jpg

Odd that, looks like water drops - or sweat...:D - might've got on the blade somehow?o_O

Just received a new 44 in ebony, nice action and size. Unfortunately, out of the tube and wrapping paper the knife has some type of black deposit spots on the main blade, thought it might be buffing compound. I cleaned it off with a paper towel and some oil, much to my disappointment there was some pitting under the deposit. Guess I'll have to buff this one out. Hope our friends at GEC pay a little more attention to quality and wipe the blades off before packing.
View attachment 947173
Maybe you can flitz it off stough works great !

My Buffalo came in today, and I have to say it's about as nice as any GEC I've received in the last few years. Perfect pulls (6+), no sunk pins, great F&F and W&T, pure black ebony, and nice grinds. I put it with three of my other gunstocks, two with spear main (Solingen) and two with clip main (Pennsylvania). All great knives, but the Tidioute is gonna get some pocket time for a while.

mhBDRXQ.jpg
Looking Good Jeff !! Good to hear and much looking forward to mine when I get home :thumbsup:

Flitz took some of it off but it's deeper that flitz can clean.

Back