Brass is back on the menu... GEC #44

Not sure, but that little bit of weight to me wouldn't be a deterent. I really like a wrap-around spring!
Great minds think a like :D
I actually like the heft and one of the things that has attracted me to this pattern . I like the feel in hand to and of course the looks :thumbsup:
My Tuna valley Gunstock really sold me on this pattern and couldn’t think of a better maker then Gec , without going to a custom of course .My Gec 77 Barlow Feels like it’s built like a tank and some of the best walk and talk out of any Gec I’ve ever owned and have owned some nice ones .
I have a feeling this 44 is going to share the above .

Last edited:
I like the knife just fine as a 2-blade though I imagine this would be quite nice as a single. The sheer heft/girth of it would probably still feel quite substantial with a blade delete.

The pen blade sits nice and low, in my opinion, and doesn't produce any discomfort for me. I've already put it to work and I haven't noticed the pen at all. I imagine one could drop the kick just a bit and have the nick still be accessible. For me though, it is unnecessary. A nice knife indeed, I think GEC did really well.

Oh boy! I think I see my knife over there....no, over there!

IMG_4890.jpg

And I see the UN-X-LD on the bottom bolster that many were worried about.:)

The jigging on this bone hasn’t turned out very well - with lots of the detail shaved off to meet the end cap. A consequence of the handle shape or the width of that end cap?
I guess that GEC has deliberately shown us this to let customers know in advance - which is good of them.

gbA9Fbh.jpg

Last edited:
What's this pattern like in the hand actually cutting stuff? I've always thought the Gunstock might be an awkward pattern to handle due to its shape especially when using the minor blade?

Regards, Will

The jigging on this bone hasn’t turned out very well - with lots of the detail shaved off to meet the end cap. A consequence of the handle shape or the width of that end cap?
I guess that GEC has deliberately shown us this to let customers know in advance - which is good of them.

gbA9Fbh.jpg
Yeah, I don’t like it when they do this! Kind of ruins the whole aesthetic.

Doesn’t look bad to me and just looks like it could be a natural wear pattern from 50 years or so of hard work you didn’t have to do :D
It could be the Ancient #44 ..

Reactions: HWF
What's this pattern like in the hand actually cutting stuff? I've always thought the Gunstock might be an awkward pattern to handle due to its shape especially when using the minor blade?

Regards, Will
I’ve been wondering this as well. If it feels like a dogleg that could make for s great small knife, but if the edges feel sharp, or the tang of the pen blade protrudes too much, I know it won’t be for me.

I’ve been wondering this as well. If it feels like a dogleg that could make for s great small knife, but if the edges feel sharp, or the tang of the pen blade protrudes too much, I know it won’t be for me.
I think your mileage will vary ;)
Everyone will have a different opinion on how it feels in hand . I remember the 2 Blade 77 Barlow folks were complaining about the secondary blade not being comfortable when closed and using the main blade . Some were even filing down the kick so it would Sit lower .
To me it felt great in hand with no modifications necessary.

I’ve got a Trestle Pine Topper, (I won’t go into it's issues here) should be roughly the same size as the 44’s. It is quite comfortable using the main, I did file the caplifters kick and took a little off the exposed side to make it moreso. Having a second implement does take away from the ergonomic shape the pattern gives without one. Using the lifter or as a driver is ok but I think using a second blade would be a touch awkward. I’ll wait till they release a single blade, (clip) on a future run.

Everybody's different, I know what old knife handle jigging looks like though and I prefer, (from a company that specializes in and HAS achieved old pocket knife jigging aesthetics), an older look, where the jigging meets the bolsters. Like this JBF Champlin SFO, they actually made these several years back. They are capable of this and can and have done it!

Last edited:
Here’s a short overview from another Reputable dealer Not a payed vender here so I can’t mention who and in respect to Mike since this is his thread .
Anyway this dealer like Mike will tell you like it is not what would help sales and I have much respect for this dealer as I do
Mike .

Heres what he wrote :thumbsup:
The Buffalo Jack`s are in! Another great GEC production with perfect quality. One of my personal favorites, the shape on this production is beautiful. Both blades have solid pulls and no blade wobble. Everything about this production says quality.

Everybody's different, I know what old knife handle jigging looks like though and I prefer, (from a company that specializes in and HAS achieved old pocket knife jigging aesthetics), an older look, where the jigging meets the bolsters. Like this JBF Champlin SFO, they actually made these several years back. They are capable of this and can and have done it!

Other than the coloration and the jig pattern - I don't really see a difference between this one and the one you don't like. Both have jigging that goes all the way to one end and just thins to the other.

If deep jigging is left to run into the bolster, when the knife is buffed the nickel silver buffs away faster than the bone - then customers return knives because "they have dents in the bolsters".

Well said. :thumbsup:

I've gone 80% plus with smooth bone and/or wood in my new GEC's.

Unique colors are the only exception when it comes to GEC jigged bone as of late.

Good grief, I've even made my very first micarta & acrylic GEC purchases in the last few months.

Jigged bone was always my first choice and now, not so much. :confused:

OmTCSwX.jpg

Back