Brass on the 119

Wolverine666

Gold Member
I love my standard 119. So much , in fact , that I’d like to get some other variations. The cocobolo handle with brass guard and pommel looks beautiful. My only concern is the brass. Does it tarnish easily and require much upkeep? I have no experience with brass at all.

Definitely a beautiful knife and combination of materials.

Brass does indeed tarnish relatively easily. Once you handle it a few times it will start developing a patina. In some cases if left moist it will create green corrosion.

That said, a few minutes with a clean polishing cloth and Flitz will bring back the shine quickly.

That is actually a characteristic I like in brass. It can achieve a weathered look easily which looks great in my personal opinion.

But you can take it to a high shined polish very easily.

Pretty neat stuff.

I think it depends on what your personal taste are. If you want shiney, then it will take some time and up keep on your part. I have had this 118 for several years and prefer a dull tarnished surface on the brass so I have not done anything except wash it with soap and water. HTH
iSmCz18.jpg

yes on both, if ya want it looking gold yellow and shiny. if you don't care and like the patina brownish color then no and no.

I like the shiny look of new brass. And if just some minor polishing now and then will keep it looking that way then that’s fine with me.

I just find the cocobolo/brass combo too attractive to resist. It’s settled. The knife shall be mine.

I also like the red micarta/S30V variation but I can’t seem to find any place that has them in stock. Perhaps I should look at the custom shop on the Buck website. I’m not thrilled about having to wait 4-6 weeks but such is life.

it won't be once in awhile more like every week or every other week if touched and used. it tarnishes very very quickly..just so you are aware.

To remove tarnish, rub in some ketchup with your finger, wash off. However, Renaissance wax will give you 2-3 weeks more shine.

Last edited:
After polishing I apply a coat of Renaissance Wax (Johnson paste wax works too), it only delays the inevitable, at least I'm not needing to re-polish things weekly. Keep the knife separated from the leather sheath, the tanning acids in the leather facilitates the oxidation.

Brass is like steel, you either embrace the patina or go crazy trying to stop it.

I don’t like green verdigris on brass or red rust on steel. But appreciate a nice honest patina.

I also appreciate polished aluminum and stainless steel for always looking nice even if somewhat neglected.

I haven’t had any trouble with the brass on my knives. I usually just keep them clean and wipe them down with a oil gun cloth or a tuff cloth. And I don’t store them in the leather sheath, the residual tanning chemicals in the leather can cause green corrosion. We don’t have much humidity out here on the high plains but sweat can sure cause problems. The few times I have seen some odd discoloration I use some flitz or a metal polish and it looks new again.

Brass is like "carbon" steel, you either embrace the patina or go crazy trying to stop it.

I don’t like green verdigris on brass or red rust on steel. But appreciate a nice honest patina.

I also appreciate polished aluminum and stainless steel for always looking nice even if somewhat neglected.

yep. I always preferred the bright gold brass but after years of carrying a zippo in brass and Buck 110s, battles to keep looking like new.........ive learned to accept and like the brown patina. I've also learned brass doesn't have to be polished to be kept in good condition. just have to clean occasionally to remove harmful corrosive contaiments. doesn't take away the patina but keeps it in good shape.

I think environment plays a part in how metals patina. Here it is dry, my brass bucks don't patina like those from a moist area. For example...
In the photo below I have the 118(on the right) from my previous post, a 192(middle) that I bought off the exchange a few weeks ago from NC and a 192(left) that I bought a couple of years ago here and have not touched it. The dark spots on the left one are reflections...my poor photographic skills!
Qgbsgvy.jpg

I've grown to like the patina on brass and copper.

Here's a copper roof we installed awhile back.
They patina pretty quick. But man they sure are pretty.

View attachment 1462967
Copper is a whole different ball game than brass. Tried to EDC the Randall mini copper model 27 and love the look, but just could not stand the quick dullness of the copper. Brass is a little more forgiving, but not much. Brass is my favorite, love nickel silver, admire copper but stays in the display case.

I like the look of copper and brass that get handled a lot. Door knobs and such. They patina differently than knives do, that are just sitting on a shelf. They seem to get a protective coating from people’s hands and the constant rubbing.

knives are the same way. One that is used will patina differently than one that is on a shelf or in a box. These are the ones with real beauty to my eyes.

for the ultimate copper patina, look to the Statue of Liberty. Covered in verdigris but they say it’s stable.

Last edited:
Back