Bridgeport BoyScout hatchet

My Father in Law found this among his things, belonged to his older brother, my wife's Uncle. He made it to Eagle Scout. Gave it to me as an Xmas present. Looks to be well used but with care. The slabs need to be tightened up a bit, new edge, new scabbard. My 6 yr old is in the Cubscouts now, if he stays with it this would make a nice heirloom present that is functionally in great shape - has a long life ahead of it. Close to 2lbs, is a bit on the heavy side but undoubtedly one tough hombre, nail puller is a nice extra. I saw the current issue branded ones at the regional store/offices, but am not sure who makes them. This one has the Bridgeport stamp and the BS logo. Most of the paint and other marks are 90% gone.

0101151311a_zps36f37529.jpg
0101151311_zps90d4d8c6.jpg
0101151311b_zps48e5ea69.jpg

It's definitely still in nice shape and hopefully not valuable enough to deny it's being put to the test by a third generation of 'eager beaver scouts'. I was in Scouts in the late 50s through to the mid 60s and don't recall ever having seen something like this.

Here's some information on Bridgeport scout "axes" previously posted by Alocksly. Looks to me like the 1934-1948 version.

So I finally dug out my Ed Holbrook Scout Blades book. Bridgeport made two similar hatchets to the one you have. One from 1934-1948 and one from '48 till '60. The older one had a squared off, flat poll while the newer one was slightly rounded. The edges of both blades differed similarly, with the newer one being more rounded. Yours looks like the older one. From what I can see in my book picture the stamps on yours also match the older model.

Here's the page from the book.

Very cool! Was in Boy Scouts as a kid, but by that time a lot of the camp tools were Made in Korea and Taiwan.

Very cool! Was in Boy Scouts as a kid, but by that time a lot of the camp tools were Made in Korea and Taiwan.

Oh for that ubiquitous Asian tag "World Famous" that was on cheap pots and pans, rain suits, back packs, tents etc etc. all through the 70 and 80s. Probably they proffered knives and hatchets too.

It's definitely still in nice shape and hopefully not valuable enough to deny it's being put to the test by a third generation of 'eager beaver scouts'. I was in Scouts in the late 50s through to the mid 60s and don't recall ever having seen something like this.

I did some snooping around EBAY and Etsy, examples can be listed anywhere from $45 to $125. Its a user for sure. Most of the wear appears to be from being carried.

Does anyone have advice for tightening up the slabs? I was planning to shape some small diameter round stock to match the rough contour of the rivets and hammering them some. My other thought (option #1 so far) was some clear 2-part epoxy squeezed in underneath with a furniture repair syringe.

...Does anyone have advice for tightening up the slabs?...

I've tightened up the slabs on an old cleaver just by hitting the rivets with the ball of a ball-pein hammer. Done carefully, of course, with the rivets well-supported on the other side (so the wood isn't damaged).

I've tightened up the slabs on an old cleaver just by hitting the rivets with the ball of a ball-pein hammer. Done carefully, of course, with the rivets well-supported on the other side (so the wood isn't damaged).

Exactly as you describe I have done this a few times with loose scales on knife handles. I've only ever had temporary luck with epoxy; the stuff sets rigid and does not allow for expansion or flex and consequently always comes loose. PL Premium adhesive which has some 'give' has worked like a proverbial charm on ceramics, paving stones and wood in the 20 years that I've used lots of it.

Alright, a few raps with a ball pein hammer it is. I'm not afraid to sharpen it up and use it, but I don't want to mess up the patina on the handle or ding up the rivets too bad. Will have to be more careful than my usual...

Just a thought, but if the scales are loose due to the wood drying out and shrinking over time, soaking the whole handle in BLO for a day or two might swell them back to their original size and tighten them up.

Just a thought, but if the scales are loose due to the wood drying out and shrinking over time, soaking the whole handle in BLO for a day or two might swell them back to their original size and tighten them up.

Good idea!

I'd go the handle soak route as well. Even warming the Linseed oil to 90* would help with penetrating deeper into the oak handle. Is there a area near a wood stove where you could allow it to stand and soak while warm? If that doesn't tighten it up, be very gentle with the peening. A fine family treasure. Worth preserving in it's original condition. DM

I took a look at the rivets and they were a lot more crudely done than my first impression. Clamped my #4 Williams ball pein in a vise to use as an anvil, and gently worked it with a light ball pein hammer. Turned out great and the slabs are nice and tight. You'd have to look real close to tell I did anything, didn't even scrape through the patina on the rivet heads.

Thanks all! Now to put a good edge on it and maybe make a new sheath.

Wow ... I've been looking for something this nice on ebay and this one is in the best shape I've seen for a Bridgeport wooden handle.

As a Cub Scout leader (and father) ... I'd recommend giving him something a little less sentimental to alleviate an elevated heart rate everytime he get's it out :) My scouts have taken some pretty nice stuff and turned them to garbage in one weekend of camping! Definitely encourage him to get his Wood Chip card (Totin' Chip) before carrying at least. Once he gets older and goes to Boy Scouts make sure he goes after the merit badges associated such as the Paul Bunyan Woodsman merit badge ... which I was pretty impressed with the qualifications:

1. Show that you have earned the Totin' Chip.
2. Help a Scout or patrol earn the Totin' Chip, and demonstrate to him (them) the value of proper woods-tools use on a troop camping trip.
3. With official approval and supervision, do one of the following:
-Clear trails or fire lanes for two hours.
-Trim a downed tree, cut into four-foot lengths, and stack; make a brush with branches.
-Build a natural retaining wall or irrigation way to aid in a planned conservation effort.

Awesome bit of tradition!! (okay, I'm jealous)

Wow ... I've been looking for something this nice on ebay and this one is in the best shape I've seen for a Bridgeport wooden handle.

As a Cub Scout leader (and father) ... I'd recommend giving him something a little less sentimental to alleviate an elevated heart rate everytime he get's it out :) My scouts have taken some pretty nice stuff and turned them to garbage in one weekend of camping! Definitely encourage him to get his Wood Chip card (Totin' Chip) before carrying at least. Once he gets older and goes to Boy Scouts make sure he goes after the merit badges associated such as the Paul Bunyan Woodsman merit badge ... which I was pretty impressed with the qualifications:

1. Show that you have earned the Totin' Chip.
2. Help a Scout or patrol earn the Totin' Chip, and demonstrate to him (them) the value of proper woods-tools use on a troop camping trip.
3. With official approval and supervision, do one of the following:
-Clear trails or fire lanes for two hours.
-Trim a downed tree, cut into four-foot lengths, and stack; make a brush with branches.
-Build a natural retaining wall or irrigation way to aid in a planned conservation effort.

Awesome bit of tradition!! (okay, I'm jealous)

It really is in great shape, I'm very fortunate.

That does sound like a pretty good merit badge to earn, for anybody!

He's only 6 now so not much chance he'll be getting his hands on it any time soon. Though he has been out on a bunch of overnights and even carries his own bag, pad and some of his food - he really enjoys backpacking and canoeing so far. And if anything, he's more conscientious than me - he has finished Lego kits he put together 10 months ago that are still in one piece!

Its from his side of the family, he'll come into it at some point no matter what - probably around 9 or 10. He'll have to put some time in with one of the Fiskars first...

Martin

He'll have to put some time in with one of the Fiskars first...

Martin

You could always pick up a Plumb BSA head on ebay for pretty cheap (I'm done bidding on them as I have enough of them!) and try him out with that. Oh - wait for the new program next year - I promise it will be even better as we're getting "back to actual scouting"!

Hey all, New member here.

I have this same axe but in not as good of condition. The axe has a decent amount of rust on it, and looks like it has some pitting. How would be a good way to clean this up (if I should)? My handle is also loose, but if I clean this up, I would like to try to remove the handle to clean all of it. Is there a good way to remove it?

Thanks,

-Nate

I have a few of those, ranging from very good shape to having the slabs half gone. The steel is still good so I keep meaning to try putting new scales on. As for value, only the ones in really very good condition are worth a good amount. I have sold a couple and in condition like yours are usually worth about $30. I see many more Plumb versions, but Bridgeports in good shape are different and interesting. I would soak the handles and tap the pins as suggested, then save it for when you judge the boy old enough to care for it. I like it.

I'd say that if you teach him.to use it properly, you won't have to worry ( about him or the sentimental tool )
It was meant to be used, and the lifetime of use that it has left in it is worth way more than anybody would pay for it 👍

Back