Bring back the Dodo!

I love the Dodo. Would change the lock mechanism at all although I would go with stainless steel over the ceramic ball purely for asthetics.

I would also rework the blade to make it a little more EDC friendly and useful. Maybe more recurve and less reverse S shaped.

The cut outs are too small for my fingers to operate the ceramic ball. A caged lock like the Manix 2 would be easier, but then it would not be a Dodo.

What if the plastic on the caged lock were white??? (It would probably show dirt easier.)

A face only a mother could love, haha.

No seriously, as I'm truly curious. What's the allure of this knife? Not only is it ugly IMO, it looks like an absolute nightmare to keep sharpened.

I had one but ended up selling it because I did not enjoy the ball lock. As for the other features of the knife they were outstanding. It has possibly the best ergos in the hand of any knife from Spyderco. Zero hot spots, it feels like a dream. I would still have it if my hands were not XL and I could easily use the lock.

The cut outs are too small for my fingers to operate the ceramic ball. A caged lock like the Manix 2 would be easier, but then it would not be a Dodo.

What if the plastic on the caged lock were white??? (It would probably show dirt easier.)
I really enjoy the ball lock as is, but the caged ball lock on the manix seems to be preferred by many so I though it would be a good update due to the common complaint of ease of access with gloves or big fingers. I would buy multiples of a Blade HQ version in a tool steel too, M4 since it’s a Golden knife. Also I sharpened mine today on an edge pro with zero problem and it went super fast. You just happen to need narrow stones for recurves but I have multiple recurve blades so I have recurve stones to sharpen them.

Last edited:
The Dodo is becoming one of my all time, top 10 favorite Spyders ever. Yes I most definitely would like to see the return of the Dodo model. However this next go-around I also want to see the return of the Spyderedged Dodo model. Oh yes I dearly love my plain edged, blue circa 2003 Dodo model that I've had since their introduction>> but the Dodo in SE is truly wicked to say the least.

Not only do we need to see the return of the Spyderedged Dodo I very much would also like to see a larger scale/sized version as well. I would love to see a Dodo model with a wider and somewhat longer blade as well as a bigger scale handle too. To have a big and regular sized Dodo model would truly be cool.

Why the Dodo didn't become one of their permanent models like the Delica and Endura and Harpy I'll never know.

The Dodo is becoming one of my all time, top 10 favorite Spyders ever. Yes I most definitely would like to see the return of the Dodo model. However this next go-around I also want to see the return of the Spyderedged Dodo model. Oh yes I dearly love my plain edged, blue circa 2003 Dodo model that I've had since their introduction>> but the Dodo in SE is truly wicked to say the least.

Not only do we need to see the return of the Spyderedged Dodo I very much would also like to see a larger scale/sized version as well. I would love to see a Dodo model with a wider and somewhat longer blade as well as a bigger scale handle too. To have a big and regular sized Dodo model would truly be cool.

Why the Dodo didn't become one of their permanent models like the Delica and Endura and Harpy I'll never know.
Why doesn't sweet potato ice cream outsell chocolate? It's just a bit too weird for the bread and butter crowd.

Bread and butter pays the bills and weird keeps us happy. Go too weird and the bills don't get paid and you're closing up shop. You have to be able to make a menu with both.

No seriously, as I'm truly curious. What's the allure of this knife? Not only is it ugly IMO, it looks like an absolute nightmare to keep sharpened.

You'll never find out by looking at it. When you pick it up and flip open the blade, it locks into your hand like it was born there and drags you around the house looking for things to cut. Sharpening isn't bad if you have a SharpMaker. My only complaint is it needs a different steel, something like H-1, with the toughness to pull off that needle tip. My user has been reground like six or seven times from the tip breaking off in use.

It is ugly, but the ergonomics in hand are fantastic. The blade is easy to keep sharp using a Sharpmaker.

It is truly a knife that needs to be felt in hand before you can judge it.

Well, a high end spirit run maybe
As there's are have been far too many
cheap cloned PRC dodos going about for years now...

in my opinion the Dodo is an obsolete knife/gadget/tool,utterly useless and ugly!no more Dodo's please Sal,better design a usefull knife instead.

Nothing is for everyone. That's why they make different models. I'm a bit curious as to how much you've used one to be calling it "utterly useless". Or are you just passing judgement on the knife by its looks?

Eric son of Sal is credited as the designer of the Dodo
http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtopic.php?t=20694
From old threads,
it seems that Eric was into handle ergonomics.
Yeah, along with it's blade shape and locking mechanism,
made the dodo a highly unusual folder.
I dunno about standard general usage,
but it sure exhibits some features for martial applications...

yablanowitz,i didn't have to use it,i have a carbon and a blue in my collection and after taking the Dodo (carbon first) out of the box i knew instantly these are not for me as user(s)!

Like I said, nothing is for everyone, but the Dodo is one model that simply has to be used to be appreciated. I didn't think I'd like it either, until I started using it.

I can see where "beattheheat" is coming from because when I got my first Dodo way back around 2003 I was getting it simply as a novelty, collector's type blade to put away and hope that it's odd design would someday become a collector piece. However after talking to several Spyder-Friends I actually carried and EDCed a blue PE Dodo for about a week and I was really very pleasantly surprised at how ergonomic and useful of a folder it is. Now I don't EDC any of my Dodo models very often because mainly a bigger blade actually serves me better in the work I'm now doing. But I do carry it where a big folder might draw unwanted attention.

But if I ever had to go to where they have draconian knife laws not allowing me to carry my M390 Military model I'll have my Dodo models and my ZDP-189 Caly Jr for when it would not be legal for me to use a folder with a blade the size of my M390 Millie.

After giving the blue PE Dodo a fair trial it showed me that you truly can't judge a knife unless you actually try to use it. And it's like YAB said not every model suits everyone's needs. And I do hold out hope that they will make a bigger sized, bigger scale Dodo model. Because I believe a Dodo with a wider blade and bulkier handle would be a great work knife IMO.

Back