Bring Back The Slysz Bowie?

It won’t come back into production, but I’ll gladly take one of his new Fat Bowie’s as a collab. And still can’t wait for that Swayback!

Slysz posted some pictures of his Spydiechef 2 prototype on Instagram a while back - there are links to it on the forum. It has a longer blade with a more conventional (read: useful) shape. It might just be that Spyderco will consolidate the Bowie and Spydiechef models into one knife. I'd hope so, anyway - that prototype in LC200N would be sweet.

I never get the hype about this knife, given its retail price. It looks bland and fat. I would choose a PM2 with aftermarket ti scales over it any day of the week. Heck, fluted ti military at 200$ is a much better buy. There is a good reason why it is discontinued.

Slysz posted some pictures of his Spydiechef 2 prototype on Instagram a while back - there are links to it on the forum. It has a longer blade with a more conventional (read: useful) shape. It might just be that Spyderco will consolidate the Bowie and Spydiechef models into one knife. I'd hope so, anyway - that prototype in LC200N would be sweet.
Gotta disagree about the shape. The whole point is a kit hen knife. For that use it's shape is fantastic. Get a Carribean if you want a different "useful" shape. I ask please make it a larger version of what it is, a folding kitchen knife.

I never get the hype about this knife, given its retail price. It looks bland and fat. I would choose a PM2 with aftermarket ti scales over it any day of the week. Heck, fluted ti military at 200$ is a much better buy. There is a good reason why it is discontinued.
Kinda necro but I somewhat agree with you. I get the knife may be fantastic in many ways but just never could see what made people rather fanatical about it.

Kinda necro but I somewhat agree with you. I get the knife may be fantastic in many ways but just never could see what made people rather fanatical about it.
The quality and fit and finish was above most knives. It was like a more affordable sebenza with higher quality, better blade steel and unique bowie blade. Not to mention a slyz design. Amazing action for a manual open.

So, if it is so highly demanded, why discontinued it in the first place? I could be wrong but $280+ range does not seem to work well for Spyderco. I would like to see Spyderco stay at the $240- range.

So, if it is so highly demanded, why discontinued it in the first place? I could be wrong but $280+ range does not seem to work well for Spyderco. I would like to see Spyderco stay at the $240- range.
That's the normal life cycle of a niche product like that. It's not around forever. What I see with the small makers that partner with Sypderco is that they want to make new stuff. Maybe a spin on one of their custom knives but they want to take advantage of reaching a larger audience with something new and take advantage of a larger manufacturing base to make something a big different. Not many of them want to make that very same knife year in and year out regardless of it's popularity.

Held one at a show last year and got it offered to me at a great price. It was a little larger than I like to EDC and I was determined to spend my money on a local maker (which I did). But, the quality of it was apparent. It seems expensive for a Spyderco but when you hold it you get why. I think it would easily be at $400-500 knife as a mid-tech.

It's the nature of mist of the collabs. eventually everyone who wants/can afford it has it. I just wish the Chef was as nice as far as the lock went.

Like most Spydies these days, the Slysz was too much money for me to pull the trigger on. No thanks.

Remake in Merika with something like M390 or something else high end. I would look at one maybe. Price isn’t a factor with me when it comes to Spyderco because they don’t make anything I would call expensive.

I have one in my pocket every day. It's a great knife with an excellent steel.
I've had three but sold two. I'm not liable to sell this one.
It has ONE flaw. The ti scales are ergonomic, but slippery as heck. That is BAAAAD. Can't hang onto it.
I will have to mod the scales one of these days.

The SB is probably my favorite Spyderco knife. It's so simple yet perfectly executed. The size makes it ideal for carry and when you're holding it in hand engaging the lock it just screams absolute quality.

My egoistical self wouldn't care for reintroduction as I already own 2 perfectly good samples. I'd prefer a new Slysz design like the Swayback instead for collection purposes.

I put mine up for sale on ebay for about seven hours, couldnt sell it.

Im funding a new interest, and ill move stuff from other hobbies to make way and room between the hobbies and interests.

Selling my emerson instead, starkly opposite knives and i was suprised how much i like the emerson. Initially i posted the slysz because the amound of funding it will generate is a bit more than the emerson. I cant do it, its a knife id likely never rebuy due to the inflated cost and its just an amazing knife. So im selling the emerson and some silver collectible coins.

Trimed out a watch leaving me with two and i was pondering moving one of the remaining two but theyre both just too excellent for me to get rid of.

I love the Slysz Bowie. Great feel in hand, my favorite Spyderco blade shape, perfect size, just amazing quality. I think the price puts it out of the range of anybody except hard core knife knuts. I have to say I don't think I could resist buying another if they put it out in a different steel. Sign me up
im so glad they didnt do sprints of the SB

Back