Bring out your SHBM! Bring out your SHBM!

Where they G10 or micarta or both?

I remember there being a thread about this, but I also remember Jerry saying that the tubes can take massive pressure. But I have to say that I have thrown a few of my SHBM's (slotted bolt) thousands of times with no ill effect. But I also remember throwing my tube SHBM with no ill effect either.

I’m not a fan of g10, so they were all micarta.

It is also possible that the scales on the shbm are more protected from impact by the handle shape than other models. The fusion handle was one that was particularly prone to shifting when thrown or batonned.

I’m not a fan of g10, so they were all micarta.

It is also possible that the scales on the shbm are more protected from impact by the handle shape than other models. The fusion handle was one that was particularly prone to shifting when thrown or batonned.

Very interesting stuff. I did throw one of my FBM's, but probably not more than 20-30 times. The batoning part is interesting. Remember when knifetest did the video on the FBM. He beat that thing to death and it wasn't till the very end that the handle started to come off. But there are so many things it could be. Tube flares not being as large, softer metal? who knows. I typically prefer micarta, but I love Orange G10 and Blue G10.

This FBM's handles survived what has to the most abusive tree batonning attempt ever, LOL. I have never ever seen anyone baton such a large stump. They beat that knife from every angle, lol. So who knows what conditions during install creat the perfect storm to loosen handles.

This FBM's handles survived what has to the most abusive tree batonning attempt ever, LOL. I have never ever seen anyone baton such a large stump. They beat that knife from every angle, lol. So who knows what conditions during install creat the perfect storm to loosen handles.

That’s a straight handle. :cool:

Great video. I batonned a similar log using my AK47. Damn near died doing it. Lol!

With a normal sized knife though, the trick in batonning larger diameter stuff is to avoid going dead center and instead go around the circumference, splitting off manageable planks until the diameter is more reasonable. Random info dump.

That’s a straight handle. :cool:

Great video. I batonned a similar log using my AK47. Damn near died doing it. Lol!

With a normal sized knife though, the trick in batonning larger diameter stuff is to avoid going dead center and instead go around the circumference, splitting off manageable planks until the diameter is more reasonable. Random info dump.

It looks like an ASHBM.

I'm more about what's up front then the back. Say, where's that bouncy GIF of yours?

I upgraded

jTScXju.gif
Tf9BVtk.gif

Last edited:
Don’t know if this is the latest thread or not with shbm’s shining. But I just Took a pic for it. I Love the ones I still Have wish I didnt Have to sell so many. They don’t make em like this anymore. Sorry about first pic. It doesn’t belong in shbm thread but it’s still cool Infi!! A5EB0643-97AB-4F49-B699-490CEDF469A4.jpeg A573D94A-BBB1-4CC8-894A-948F35210BBC.jpeg 998D1346-CF16-488F-B29C-33F7A99A1B1D.jpeg

Last edited:
Back