Review Brisa Trapper 95 Elmax steel blade

old4570

Banned By Request
This is a unboxing ! ( for now )
Yeah , I don't care for them either . but I thought it might be interesting .

Found some chipping on the edge .. Might explain the paper slice difficulty .
60HRC file bites / 55HRC file skates .
I will have to try and clean up those chips ...
Then slice rope !

Be nice to own a $1000 electronic microscope with camera .. ( Be real nice ) But this is a cheap N nasty one !

So I sharpened the 95 and cleaned up the edge , was relatively easy ..
Then stropped it .. Edge should be ok .. Slices paper like a champ .. ( Like it matters )

So this is a blade blank so to speak ! Ground and hardened ! Ready for some grip panels and a sheath ..
Should I have shelled out for the KIT ?
Anyways , ELMAX steel ... 60HRC file bites and 55HRC file skates !
I will slice some rope ASAP and see what this Scandi Grind can do ..
Mora kind of roll around 200 to 300 slices , so what will the 95 do ?

hmm? and edge roles at 200 slices...
MORA edges roll ( FOR ME ) From around 200 slices to 300 slices . ( Rope Slice Test )
As have other Scandi edges ( Brother 005 )
THe Brisa seems to have more angle on the bevel , so am looking forward to slicing rope with it .

So I sliced some rope !

A) There was FUBAR on the belly of the blade , which I cleaned up ( how well ? )
B) The price of the blade was some $140 Oz bananas to my door . The kit was around 200 and the knife 300 .
C) I don't like the idea of paying $1 a slice for a knife
D) Yeah , the Elmax failed at 300 slices .. So if you divide 140 by 300 you get some 46.6 cents per slice .. That's not good value for money .
E) Why I really hate shelling out $$ for a knife . Maybe some one is prepare to pay $1 per slice ( cost / performance index ) .. Why shell out 100 bananas or more when a 30 or 40 banana knife can do the same ?

I did clean up the factory edge that did have FUBAR on it .. So ? there is a chance the edge may perform better ! ( If there is any FUBAR left on the edge )
I didn't want to order grip panels till I knew how good or "Bad" the blade was .. I was thinking STAG grips , but maybe not !
Colour me disappointed . super steel ? There was nothing super about today !
I will slice more rope in the future , but for now .... I will build this as budget as possible . So far has not impressed !
So yeah , 300 fail and did not roll the edge .. Edge sort of just faded away !

ouch, betting it is not Elmax, send it to luvthemknives for steel test, or maybe someone local.

I have sent LTK a knife , a few years ago .. It was apparently D2 ( performed badly ) .
So , it could be Elmax , just maybe not Good Elmax ?
The belly may still have been a little FUBAR ?

I did hit it with a diamond lap , then stoned it , then stropped it ..
And did it again after slicing rope .
I don't know that it was the best factory scandi grind ever ( Not ) ..
And sharpening the knife , it does feel a little here and there .
Not ready to throw in the towel just yet , but at this point = Not very impressed !

I still haven't ordered grip panels ..

Sometimes the blades need a couple of sharpenings to get to some fresh steel, whereas the original may have lost temper during factory grinding.
Hope the blade improves.... it's always a pain ordering from overseas and getting disappointed!!

Sometimes the blades need a couple of sharpenings to get to some fresh steel, whereas the original may have lost temper during factory grinding.
I had a m390 Contigo that took 3 sharpenings before edge stabilized at 40 degrees inclusive. I am interested in Benchmade's new sharpening machines for their new "SelectEdge" but nothing detailed yet. Bet is they use water cooling and slow rpm's.

Currently just waiting on hardware for the grip panels ( screws ) ..
Once I have some grips on the knife , I will test a few more times .

Ok , been a while ! Cos I have been waiting - and waiting - and waiting - on hardware !
I wanted these grip screws so I could screw the grips together !

Problems !

The holes in the blade blank are supposedly 5mm ( Not )
They be 4.7mm actual !
Anyways the 5mm grip screws have not arrived ( The ones I wanted )
The ones I did not want to use are here , but the tube or female part is 5mm ...... Not 4.7mm ..
So I could not use them ..
I did order a 4mm brass pin .. I didn'y want to use this ..
Butt , push come to shove I had .. To finish the knife ! I mean , it's been a blade long enough !

Brisa & Ferro
Ok , well .... My sample of the Brisa was throwing Ferro at my face and all over the place ..
It kind of proved to NOT be the most ferro friendly knife .. And I gave up when a bit of Ferro came way too close to my face / eyes ..
Maybe sharpening the spine ? might help throw ferro in one direction ?

The wind kept putting the gum out .. Not sure how many times the gum started , but was quickly put out by the wind .
To put the gum to rest I had to resort to Fatwood ! ( Boo / hiss )

The Brisa Elmax blades are on the softer side. Elmax at 61-62 rockwell should perform better? Below 60 allows the steel to be tougher and a bit easier to sharpen? I made some knives with the hidden tang 85mm flat grind Elmax blanks and they are a bit softer. 61-62 rockwell Elmax definetly feels harder on my stones when sharpening and takes longer!

Back