British blacksmith

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Just saw this video and wanted to share, Fred Harriss was or possibly is, still at work, this video shows him at 84 still working the forge ;)

I tried searching to see if he is still around, as this is a few years old now. As he said when asked if he would retire : "I shall live tired, but I shan't retire..."

G2

Last edited:
My thoughts as well Matt, should be an inspiration not just for blacksmithing, but for anything worth doing.
G2

Great! Thanks for sharing.
Makes me want to pack up and move to Oxfordshire to give him someone to pass on his craft.

Great! Thanks for sharing.
Makes me want to pack up and move to Oxfordshire to give him someone to pass on his craft.

a good thought for sure would be a gift to spend time with a fellow like that
G2

AND.... look how high his anvil is. I keep raising my anvil and it's only getting easier to forge for longer periods of time.

I am just starting to forge. My anvil arrives tomorrow and I have a lot of 3/16 inch steel. What tongs do you recommend for that size of steel?

I like Z-box and U-box tongs. Blacksmith Depot (Kayne and Sons) has a great selection of tongs. I would get them in 1/4" box size. You also need a pick-up tongs and some general use tongs like a flat jaw or a wolf's jaw.

3/16 is a tad thin for forging ... not a lot of metal to move. Next batch of steel you get, try 1/4" or 3/8".

Eventually, you will want several sizes of box jaw tongs and other assorted styles. It is a rabbit hole once you start "needing" more and more tongs.

Also, learning to make your own tongs is a good idea. There is a video about a fellow who has a very good method.,https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...2101385782B252EA14542101385782B252E&FORM=VIRE

Last edited:
Back