Broke another one.

Handle scale that is.

This is the third one in a couple year period that got dropped from about waist hight onto a hard floor. In this case the kitchen floor which is tile. And of all the SAK's, it was a friggin classic. The lightest weight SAK there is. And it broke the exact same place that the tinker did, the back side scale and about a third of the scale broke off clean on a line where the material changes to paper thin. The hollowed out cellidor crap that Victorinox is saving a few cents on by making the stuff with thinner cavities.

I super glued the broken off piece back, but my feelings for Victoriox is never going to be the same. I have enough alox models that I will never again bother with the cellidor, if I even stay with Victorinox. My Leatherman squirt is capable of taking over any duties the small SAK's do and I'm getting really pissed at how Victorinox is shaving pennies by cheapening the product. Heck, in the old days I got by very well with a Buck stockman in my pocket, a Sear's 4-way keychain screw driver on my keyring, and P-38 in my wallet. My old Wenger SI saw me through the last years of my army time and a few decades of being Harry homeowner and soccer dad. It got beat up pretty good over the years with no ill effects.

Victorinox needs to either go back to the solid cellidor or abandon that crap entirely and go to FRN or delrin, or some other better plastic that isomer durable.

Sorry to hear that.
It's hard to believe this happened to a classic, I'm sure it did but I'd never expect it. It had to hit just right or something I'm guessing because they really do weight just about nothing.
Hasn't happened to me so I don't mind the stuff, but I'm sure if it did I'd feel the same way as you.

Sorry to hear that.
It's hard to believe this happened to a classic, I'm sure it did but I'd never expect it. It had to hit just right or something I'm guessing because they really do weight just about nothing.
Hasn't happened to me so I don't mind the stuff, but I'm sure if it did I'd feel the same way as you.

I know its not just me, as a couple years ago my son in law got a hiker. Last time we were in California for a visit, I saw it laying in the tray where he keeps his keys, change, and general pocket stuff when he comes home from work. I saw the hiker laying there and it was missing the top of the scale. Broken clean off right where I've had mine break. He had filled the opening with epoxy to seal it up. I guess thats one way to deal with it. But theres a problem there and Victorinox needs to deal with it. If its happened to me and John both, I highly doubt that we're the only ones. I'm not sure I like the corporate mentality that is represented here.

In the 5 or 6 years now that I've been carrying the Leatherman squirt, I've beat the ever lovin dog snot out of it, and it took all in stride. The one thing that broke was the scissors spring, and Leatherman has a new one to me in two weeks from when I sent it in. And the squirt does everything the small SAK's do and more.

Google Remade scales. I bought a set for my deluxe Tinker and couldn’t be happier. Relatively cheap, scratch/scuff resistant, easy to install, and aren’t bad looking either.

*mine are black nylon, but they now offer them in G-10 and micarta as well

I've had one crack but not actually break to date, happens I'm sure I just have yet to be so unfortunate.
In my opinion they should probably just switch to the " economy line " nylon scales across the board.
Theyre not so slick they look just as good, and its definitely a tougher material.

Economy scales are 10x better ,i had translucent ones break when dropping the knife,translucent ones are the worst in my experience,then celidor,alox and nylon are very good.

Reactions: sv4
Carl, sorry you have suffered another broken Vic scale and I agree, with this occurring to your three and yours son's, it appears to be a defect which I hope is (someday) corrected. It's not much comfort that they come with a life time warranty but I was wondering, have you contacted Victorinox about this? Seems they could just ship you a set of scales of your choice. I'll almost bet they are aware of this situation, but the more they hear of it, the more likely they may change. It's possible for every 1 customer who wants them to use a different material there are 100 that want them to remain the same. I'm not defending them as I too would prefer a more durable material be used but, I still enjoy the Vics I have, while waiting for them to be improved.

Carl, sorry you have suffered another broken Vic scale and I agree, with this occurring to your three and yours son's, it appears to be a defect which I hope is (someday) corrected. It's not much comfort that they come with a life time warranty but I was wondering, have you contacted Victorinox about this? Seems they could just ship you a set of scales of your choice. I'll almost bet they are aware of this situation, but the more they hear of it, the more likely they may change. It's possible for every 1 customer who wants them to use a different material there are 100 that want them to remain the same. I'm not defending them as I too would prefer a more durable material be used but, I still enjoy the Vics I have, while waiting for them to be improved.

yeah, I'm going to call them in the morning and let them know. With all three breaking in the exact same spot after a fall on a hard floor, theres a design defect in there. I'm going back to an alox fan from now on. But I will talk to Vic customer service.

I and I'm sure others, would greatly appreciate hearing what Vic's rep. has to say. Please keep us posted and best of luck. -James

That's a pile of poo my good sir. Bummer. I made the decision not too long ago that any SAK I get will be either have alox or nylon scales UNLESS it's a Classic. But if my Classic had a scale break (I have one blue one currently) I might rethink that as well.
Handle scale that is.

This is the third one in a couple year period that got dropped from about waist hight onto a hard floor. In this case the kitchen floor which is tile. And of all the SAK's, it was a friggin classic. The lightest weight SAK there is. And it broke the exact same place that the tinker did, the back side scale and about a third of the scale broke off clean on a line where the material changes to paper thin. The hollowed out cellidor crap that Victorinox is saving a few cents on by making the stuff with thinner cavities.

I super glued the broken off piece back, but my feelings for Victoriox is never going to be the same. I have enough alox models that I will never again bother with the cellidor, if I even stay with Victorinox. My Leatherman squirt is capable of taking over any duties the small SAK's do and I'm getting really pissed at how Victorinox is shaving pennies by cheapening the product. Heck, in the old days I got by very well with a Buck stockman in my pocket, a Sear's 4-way keychain screw driver on my keyring, and P-38 in my wallet. My old Wenger SI saw me through the last years of my army time and a few decades of being Harry homeowner and soccer dad. It got beat up pretty good over the years with no ill effects.

Victorinox needs to either go back to the solid cellidor or abandon that crap entirely and go to FRN or delrin, or some other better plastic that isomer durable.

First all my users have nylon scales because I don't like the durability of Cellidor, as they just look like hell after awhile. I own only one Classic that I carried on my key ring for years and the only problem I had with it was the loss off the tweezers twice. I finally realized I carried it but never used it. So now it sits unused in a desk drawer. Put Nylon or G10 on your users and you will never have a breakage problem again.

I'm pretty sure when the failure rate gets to a tenth of a percent of the total production they'll decide to address the "issue".

Throw it away and buy a new one. That's what the Victorinox target market would do. Face it, Vic Mass produces the cheapest products they can make a buck on.

The new(er) cellidor scales is my only complaint about Victorinox. The old(er) cellidor scales weren't so thinned out, and were fairly durable. I'm always a bit worried about dropping my Spartan (not so much my Executive, for some reason). I have dropped my alox Pioneer more than once, and on hard tile floors, and nothing happened, except one time a very small dent in a scale near the pivot end that isn't even noticeable unless you look for it very closely.

One would have to believe that broken cellidor scales is a fairly common occurrence, and that Victorinox is aware of it. These knives are made for work and outdoor use, etc., so I'm certain that dropping them is a very common occurrence. Hopefully they'll do something to address the matter.

Jim

Last edited:
Stop being Butterfingers.

Problem solved.
Pretty much what I think, but they are cheap enough that I don't worry about the current cellidor scales breaking. Stuff happens. I wouldn't call Vic about a broken scale from dropping. But I understand your concern about the pattern of breaking.

I honestly have never broken any of mine in the 30 years I have carried one. The only scale I have ever broken was the bone on a Case Barlow that I had as a kid. The knife was wore out anyway, so I wasn't too worried about it. It is in my tool box somewhere at the moment.

At least you didn't crack the floor tiles. ;)

I do continue to carry my Squirt on my key ring all the time.

My suggestion would be to carry an alox cadet as a substitute but not on a key ring. Put the Squirt on the key ring. I believe you said at one point that the Corolla has keyless ignition. My wife's Toyota has keyless ignition. Mine doesn't.

Last edited:
I bought this little gem and sharpened it with a wet stone. Pretty slick. Build a lean to or make dinner, kind of indestructible.

Last edited by a moderator:
The new(er) cellidor scales is my only complaint about Victorinox. The old(er) cellidor scales weren't so thinned out, and were fairly durable. I'm always a bit worried about dropping my Spartan (not so much my Executive, for some reason). I have dropped my alox Pioneer more than once, and on hard tile floors, and nothing happened, except one time a very small dent in a scale near the pivot end that isn't even noticeable unless you look for it very closely.

One would have to believe that broken cellidor scales is a fairly common occurrence, and that Victorinox is aware of it. These knives are made for work and outdoor use, etc., so I'm certain that dropping them is a very common occurrence. Hopefully they'll do something to address the matter.

Jim

They make 45,000 knives a day. That's 90,000 scales every day of the week. Do you really think one broken scale a day is worth their time to look at, much less one in six months?

Back