Broke down and got a Recon 1.

Well I been wanting a blade of this steel, but I wanted good decent folder, as usual with one of the strongest lock back type form I could find, and I wanted a 4" blade. Well lots of research later brought me to the Recon 1 for all of them, oh and decent price as well. I got tired of waiting for sales and saw the sale price was only 20 bucks cheaper IF it was available so I went to Knife Center and ordered one. Oh heh for got to say I wanted a Drop Point to. :D

I looked at the Code 4 but I wanted the 4" blade so maybe later Code 4.

Well...after the postoffice holding it hostage for a week by not putting it in one of the lockers for after hours...finally Got it!

Well...never having a cold steel folder before it seems pretty goodly.

Lock up of the blade is SUPER SECURE. Its one of the things I look for in folders now after being bitten to many times by other folder locking mechanisms. Not to get in a lock up war, but for me some how they disengage at the most not so good times, the few I still have, I use them expecting the lock to slip has saved me some bad cuts. And I wasn't doing rock prying with them either, don't know if some thing got loose or just some odd harmonic in its operation made the lock up fail. Well moving along...

The knife is a good 4" long, S35N (don't know if that's pass'e yester year super steel or not) but dang super sharp! The relief cut/swdge on the top part near the tip made me think it was a clip point first looking at it. Well you know good dang blade of a decent length I was looking for. I was looking for mostly non coated but it was all I could grab before some thing else grabbed my money so I didn't play the wait to get the one I want till the money was gone to get it game.

Handle, black G-10, shape fits good in the hand, makes the handle thin and cuts weight, don't see any liners but I suppose the G-10 and the triad locking system makes the knife tough enough at this lower price point of us masses with the great steel used. The jimping on the G-10 handle first I thought was for tacti-coolio look-ticool, but it actually works for light non invasive traction for the thumb. Lanyard hole? Well that's a dang good plus. I first was getting this knife as a over researched compromise knife for light carry/ohshititsmyonlyknifeandI'mstuckouthere!?! knife that can go in the pocket. I found the finger grooves when held in a reverse grip give extra length protection for when cutting up in something like a deer, not as good like a buck 110 but with the finger grooves it feels there would be a less chance of a slip up the blade. My state has a 4" knife blade length so I can pocket carry it. Pocket Clip works...I think they went with "keeping it light and thin" when they put it on. Oh also got it for hunting as well.

Check out Eytan (Ethan) K's review of Recon 1 to American Lawman. It helped me find the Recon 1 and why for this choice it was the best for me.

Ok a few questions.
1. Can one get a larger pocket clip for it?
2. Can one get a belt sheath for when its folded to carry it?
3. What would be best for sharpening or touch ups when needed. I'm assuming the knife won't need it for a while.
4. Does the knife make me look fat with it so thin?

Well to day I needed a real knife fix blade at work out side, it was a warm 9 degrees out where the melted snow made it freezing so I had to put on gloves. The Recon 1 in my pocket did the type of job I kept running in to what I needed it for. The gloves and "slim" frame made a great fit with out gloves and it worked well with the gloves on as well. Its handle is long enough and keeps your fingers safe from the blade when handling in bad weather conditions. Yep just as I saw the knife was going to work for me. Its strong lock made it a good solid lock that made me not have to worry to much about the blade disengaging some how.

Now I have to get a few more, at least a tanto besides another drop point.

Well to day I needed a real knife fix blade at work out side, it was a warm 9 degrees out where the melted snow made it freezing so I had to put on gloves. The Recon 1 in my pocket did the type of job I kept running in to what I needed it for. The gloves and "slim" frame made a great fit with out gloves and it worked well with the gloves on as well. Its handle is long enough and keeps your fingers safe from the blade when handling in bad weather conditions. Yep just as I saw the knife was going to work for me. Its strong lock made it a good solid lock that made me not have to worry to much about the blade disengaging some how.

Now I have to get a few more, at least a tanto besides another drop point.

The recon is one of the best knives money can buy, it walks the talk. Bought one when the first tri-ad models came out, now i own about 8 of them in every flavour you can think of.

Yeah, it seems a great EDC knife for that great uber duber super state it seems your from. :D

I wanted some thing with the best locking mechanism and 4" blade length. I still carry my buck 110 lite but for when going out side the Recon 1 goes along.

The recon is one of the best knives money can buy, it walks the talk. Bought one when the first tri-ad models came out, now i own about 8 of them in every flavour you can think of.
I agree. The Recon1 is a great knife , and for the money it s a steal. I have a clip point and a spear point and a back up for each. I was waiting for the cts xhp blade Recon 1 to come out in an uncoated blade in cts xhp. When I heard the xhp was being discontinued in the Recon, I went ahead and got the uncoated s35vn bladed spear point and clip point. But now after using the Cold Steel dlc knives, I don t mind coated blades. Neither, apparently, do bystanders
Getting the Recon with the xhp while it s still available was a great idea.

This summer I was able to find a Recon 1 Tanto in CTS-XHP but I really wanted a mini so I kept it in the box and finally found a Recon 1 Mini Tanto in CTS-XHP. I don't need both and will likely sell the Recon 1. I have an SRK for outdoors use and use the Recon 1 mini for EDC.

Well my experience is have a main knife and a folder that can take over or replace the main knife in capabilities if you loose the main one.

From my way over the top research the CTS-XHP steel would be a usable "super steel" for using it for main use. The Tri-Lock also makes it one of the safest folder around to use it for such a thing. That Recon 1 you have sounds perfect for carrying around for that reason even if a special sharpener is needed.

I use my "super steel" knives for EDC my going on long excursions I grab some things that can be sharpened on a rock in case that's all I got after loosing most of every thing. (canoe goihng over stuff like that) The CTS-XHP steel seems to be able to be able to be a good main wilderness steel class steel. But then a light diamond rod is well worth the "weight" for the "super steel" blades on the other hand. :D

Congrats. I thought of buying a Recon 1, but decided in the end I'd rather have a Voyager. Half the price and almost as good blade steel.

I've wanted a Voyager for decades, but just never pulled the trigger on account of how big they are. I haven't carried it yet, as it will be too abrasive on the pocket until I sand down some of the traction on the handle under the clip.

Anyone know where to obtain a deep carry clip for the recon 1? I just purchased the knife - would like a deep carry. thank you.

Back