Broke my klvuk

speadymeady

Gold Member
Welp, was precessing some unknown knotty wood this weekend while camping. Ran into a knot I could not baton through so I went with a overhead super chop and ended with a broken kuk :-/ not bad for about 3 years of use. Bummer :-(
iJFPAL4.jpg

AbD99gc.jpg

Last edited:
Bummer all right, but its seen honest use and I can appreciate that.

Looks like a stick tang, Id save heavy chopping like that for a full tang.

...a knot I could not baton through so I went with a overhead super chop and ended with a broken kuk ...

Was this from (1) holding the handle while swinging the blade to hit the log, or from (2) holding the handle while swinging the log and blade (with blade stuck in log), slamming it down to complete the split, or from (3) something else?

Took a lot of force to make that happen. Lucky nobody was hurt very seriously.

A stick tang is very tough, they are more of a rat tail, lots of metal back there in the handle but the KLVUK is way underpowered/undersized for this type of work.

Big AK or perhaps even better as suggested an CAK with full tang.

I'm glad you got three years use out of the KLVUK, so you don't feel too bad about the blade failure. Bawanna is right, though. The KLVUK isn't designed for that kind of heavy chopping. HI blades often punch above their weight, but evidently after three years this one decided enough is enough.

I don't think the type of tang is the issue. Stick tangs are the norm in Nepal and historically. You should do very well with an AK or CAK, or a Bonecutter or M43, regardless of tang.

I'm glad you got three years use out of the KLVUK, so you don't feel too bad about the blade failure. Bawanna is right, though. The KLVUK isn't designed for that kind of heavy chopping. HI blades often punch above their weight, but evidently after three years this one decided enough is enough.

I don't think the type of tang is the issue. Stick tangs are the norm in Nepal and historically. You should do very well with an AK or CAK, or a Bonecutter or M43, regardless of tang.

The KLVUK is a little undersized for the kind of work you are describing. If that is the kind of work it was seeing for 3 years, I am extremely impressed at the duration of use! For the task described, like others have said, a CAK, M43, Bonecutter, or other blade better suited to heavy chopping would've been a better choice.

That's a heckova lotta force being put on the blade. I'm impressed!

A thicker khuk would work a bit better for that sort of thing. The KLVUK excels at snap cuts and utility work over massive chopping/splitting.

It's my beater kukri but still sad to see it in 2 pieces. You know I lent it out twice since I've used it last. I'm wondering if it didn't get abused a bit by my coworkers (dang mechanics). None the less I was abusing it a bit. It broke with the blade stuck in the log, I lifted the log up by the handle of the kukri, raised both above head level and power slammed that log back down to earth. I heard a very loud snap, and suddenly my kukri became a bit less blade heavy.
I may have to swim around a bit for the right cak or m43 to come along. Plus I need some allowance from the wife to step up to a kukri of that status. Baby boy is due in 19 weeks :)

It's my beater kukri but still sad to see it in 2 pieces. You know I lent it out twice since I've used it last. I'm wondering if it didn't get abused a bit by my coworkers (dang mechanics). None the less I was abusing it a bit. It broke with the blade stuck in the log, I lifted the log up by the handle of the kukri, raised both above head level and power slammed that log back down to earth. I heard a very loud snap, and suddenly my kukri became a bit less blade heavy.
I may have to swim around a bit for the right cak or m43 to come along. Plus I need some allowance from the wife to step up to a kukri of that status. Baby boy is due in 19 weeks :)

How about I make you a deal?
I bet I could scrounge up a used but loved chiruwa something-or-other from my own collection. I'll send it to you free of charge.

I only ask that once your son comes along and you catch up on your bills (and catch your breath), that you buy a proper khuk from Yangdu for him. A boy deserves an heirloom, right?;)

Shoot me a PM if you like.
Congrats to you and the Mrs:)

....It broke with the blade stuck in the log, I lifted the log up by the handle of the kukri, raised both above head level and power slammed that log back down to earth. I heard a very loud snap, and suddenly my kukri became a bit less blade heavy....

I recall Hulk Hogan doing something like that to another wrestler a few years ago. Luckily, there was not "a very loud snap."

I was handling an HI Bonecutter the other day, 15" overall length and 31 oz. I can't imagine it breaking from the kind of usage that you describe. There are several HI models that can stand up to extreme punishment, and they don't even have to be 18" long.

Was this from (1) holding the handle while swinging the blade to hit the log, or from (2) holding the handle while swinging the log and blade (with blade stuck in log), slamming it down to complete the split, or from (3) something else?

#2 is what finished her off

How about I make you a deal?
I bet I could scrounge up a used but loved chiruwa something-or-other from my own collection. I'll send it to you free of charge.

I only ask that once your son comes along and you catch up on your bills (and catch your breath), that you buy a proper khuk from Yangdu for him. A boy deserves an heirloom, right?;)

Shoot me a PM if you like.
Congrats to you and the Mrs:)

Thank you very much, it is our first and we could not be more excited. I just found the gender out while camping this weekend actually. My Mother performed a ultrasound at her community college (its what she teaches) so she knew the sex. She then planned the camping weekend with both our families for a gender reveal camping party. My wife and I were both hoping for a boy so it was a pretty great weekend(aside from breaking the kukri). It would be a honor to rehome a well loved blade from your collection. Mr. Gunz, I will not hesitate to get a grail piece or two after the baby bills clear up.

The support from the guys in this forum is incredible, a true group of gentlemen!!

#2 is what finished her off

Thank you very much, it is our first and we could not be more excited. I just found the gender out while camping this weekend actually. My Mother performed a ultrasound at her community college (its what she teaches) so she knew the sex. She then planned the camping weekend with both our families for a gender reveal camping party. My wife and I were both hoping for a boy so it was a pretty great weekend(aside from breaking the kukri). It would be a honor to rehome a well loved blade from your collection. Mr. Gunz, I will not hesitate to get a grail piece or two after the baby bills clear up.

The support from the guys in this forum is incredible, a true group of gentlemen!!

Awesome:) Just PM your address. I'll see what I can scrounge up. It make take me a few days. I'm pouring concrete tomorrow, but I'm sure I can get something out to you by weeks end.

I am sorry hear that your KLVUK broke. This knife is not design for heavy use just a general use.
If want another one for general use then I will happy send you one for free of cost.
Be safe!

I am sorry hear that your KLVUK broke. This knife is not design for heavy use just a general use.
If want another one for general use then I will happy send you one for free of cost.
Be safe!
I didnt want to stick my neck out too far but I knew that was coming! How Khul is that! Somewhere in the readme stickie files says you aint post to do that tho. You must not be the first one.
btw: Pic's not showing up? Id kinda like to see what happened.

Back