Broke my tinker scale!!!

I have to agree again with you Carl, and repeat what has been said by most here. Today my Swisschamp fell from 4 ft height onto the pavement, and the scales broke and split irreversibly.

20170501_133805_zpsq7pih2mn.jpg

and it's the fourth SAK that suffers this in my lifetime. That's enough times for me to consider an alternative material if it were available!

20170501_133812_zpsstededcs.jpg

it really wasn't that strong of an impact, but they cracked and as soon as I put the SAK in my pocket twice they fell off, now there's a big chunk missing.

20170501_133852_zpstgeon1ng.jpg

It's a no brainer that Vic hasn't addressed this yet, it's more than a century that they're the king in business and they sure receive hundreds if not thousands of critics on this very subject each year

THAT, is exactly what happen to my tinker! Broke the same way, same place, but your scale actually looks thicker than what was on my tinker. Your's looks like it is older and has more solid material. I was pretty shocked when a whole section of my tinker scale bounced away on the bathroom floor, and when I looked under the remaining part of the scale it was holed out eggshell thin. Victorinox needs to address this issue badly. I've lost faith in the cellidor scales as this has happened too often for me. The old solid cellidor was some rugged stuff and very rarely broke. This new stuff not at all.

Alox or nothing for me from now on!!!!!!

Last edited:
A few weeks ago I was paying at the register of a Barnes and Noble, and as I pulled out my wallet, the Alox Pioneer that I've been carrying next to it slipped out and landed on the hard, tiled floor. I picked it up and put it back in my pocket. Later in the car, I checked the scales to see if I could find the impact point. I found a very small, VERY slight impression or dent near the top corner of one scale. I mean, I had to look for it. No damage whatsoever. Had that been my Spartan, things might have been different.

Jim

THAT, is exactly what happen to my tinker! Broke the same way, same place, but your scale actually looks thicker than what was on my tinker. Your's looks like it is older and has more solid material. I was pretty shocked when a whole section of my tinker scale bounced away on the bathroom floor, and when I looked under the remaining part of the scale it was holed out eggshell thin. Victorinox needs to address this issue badly. I've lost faith in the cellidor scales as this has happened too often for me. The old solid cellidor was some rugged stuff and very rarely broke. This new stuff not at all.

Alox or nothing for me from now on!!!!!!

I have several cellidor-scaled SAKs (Swisschamp, Tinker, Climber), which have been dropped or otherwise abused at one time or another, and none have broken like the ones on this thread. But all of them were acquired @ 20 years ago, and maybe the scales were made then of sterner stuff. When did Victorinox make changes in their cellidor?

I have several cellidor-scaled SAKs (Swisschamp, Tinker, Climber), which have been dropped or otherwise abused at one time or another, and none have broken like the ones on this thread. But all of them were acquired @ 20 years ago, and maybe the scales were made then of sterner stuff. When did Victorinox make changes in their cellidor?

They went to a hollowed out thinner cellidor about the same time they went to thinner blades and had to make a blister on one of the liners to compensate for the thinner material. If Vic keeps cheapening their product, I can see my loyalty fading. The thinner blade stock I can tolerate, the thin blades cut great. But the modern cheap cellidor is not to be tolerated when it affects the product. This is the third one since they changed the material thickness/design that has broken on me. No more!

I have an old Spartan that didn't have the toothpick/tweezers, bought in a hardware store in 1981, that was dropped on cement a few times, and only has a hair line of a crack on one scale. But it has never threatened to fall apart. The blades are the same thickness as the ones today. I carried that as my sole knife for over a decade overseas.

The new cellidor ones, including my new standard Spartan, has more fragile-feeling scales. I can detect this when I tap the scales with my fingernail.

Personally, I will never lose my loyalty for Victorinox. I had decided to switch out my newer Spartan for my Alox Pioneer as an EDC. Problem solved.

Jim

Back