Broken BK7

so far as i know, the only time ESEE refused to replace a broken knife, they refunded the owner's $$ after making him promise in writing that he would never buy one of their knives again. they also called him a lot of names and insulted his ancestry in detail to help make him mad enough to stick to his promise.

I would have liked to have seen that written exchange. Although dragging someone's lineage into it seems a bit over the line. Seems to me they could have gotten the result they wanted by questioning the intelligence and character of the perpetrator only, and leaving his folks out of it.

First of all I would like to extend sympathies on a broken blade..... I have made that mistake more than once but, not for many years.... Throwers are for throwing and knives are for cutting, chopping, carving, etc.... Making this mistake is, some ways,a rite of knife passage...... Listening to my friend Jeff Randall about the throwing of knives is entertaining but, not for the faint of language and I have only heard him on this subject second hand.... if you would like a kinder, gentler discussion of this and other knifery please email me a good time to call you and a phone number....I look forward to it.....

Ethan

Beckerkt@gmail.com

The BK9 and BK15 are my favorite Beckers, but not for throwing.

Ethan Becker and KaBar are a class act and show it again and again.

Maybe BK should design a softer throwing blade so they can gently nudge people towards the purpose designed thrower?!

LOL Some guy (with poor English) on Facebook is saying this is his knife.

I noticed in the pic that the break is right along the long portion of the impressed “7” hence I wonder if the roll stamp also contributed to the fracture in this case?!?

I noticed in the pic that the break is right along the long portion of the impressed “7” hence I wonder if the roll stamp also contributed to the fracture in this case?!?
Yes.
That's part of why KaBar switched to the laser etch.

My .02 cents: A knife is a tool. Tools sometimes break. But if I am honest here, I feel that only 4x in my lifetime of 57 yrs & working on vehicles since I was about 10 yrs old, & being a knife guy since about 40 ,did a tool break that honestly was not my fault. I attributed all to bad heat treat. You learn & move forward. I have broken 3 bayonets & a Gerber Mk 2 survival while in the Army & a Torx socket a few years back. In the end, all were replaced at no cost to me.

Moral of the story is: if you break a knife doing something that you consider normal , you need a different tool. I baton the living snot out of mine & have not broken a BK&T yet. But I do not throw them. I recently found my throwing knife I bought when I was 14 ! Lol

It's a bummer it broke on you though. No doubt. If I ever did break a BK&T blade, I would not hesitate to buy another. I think that they are a quality product that is still made in the USA at a working persons wages. That is no easy feat anymore these days.

Back