Broken Clasp knife transformation.

I picked up this old (1944) Richards clasp knife from a flea market a year or so ago for next to nothing as it was in such bad shape. Worn & dirty with a broken blade spring.

CwwniCG.jpg

I toyed with the idea of making something from it for a while but felt it was wrong to destroy something with history, even if I didn't know what that history was.
But I eventually thought I might as well do something with it as it's useless as it is, & besides they were produced in such huge numbers there are always going to be good examples so what harm in using a broken one?
After looking at it I decided the only hope for the worn blade was a Lambsfoot shape..........

1I7A6ot.jpg

So this is what it looked like in bits.

3DHh7Qu.jpg

These are the bits I used, the spring is from the can opener which is the same as the (broken) blade spring.

qUJpIwA.jpg

The parts shaped & the spring worked on to (1) not make it so bloody stiff! (2) take away the uneven thin stress point (3) remove a mark in that thin stress point that would be a stress riser & explain why so many of these knives have broken springs as Jack Black Jack Black will tell you ;)

vJZbdBp.jpg

Held together loosely to try, the spring also doesn't now have an anchor pin right behind it's fixing pin, instead the but end rests on the brass end spacer letting it pivot on its fixing pin relieving the spring even more.

DYEoohu.jpg

:)

Riveted up & wood for covers. A few ways to do this, I chose to cover the rivets & only show cover rivets.

EeTLXVb.jpg

lcuU4kQ.jpg

I decided (after I thought it was finished!) to bend & add the original bail as well.

SqQpxKN.jpg

xeo8Bsz.jpg

I cut up the can opener which had the date & maker mark, it can be used on a lanyard.

D7kQHz6.jpg

That hole is round! It's the shadow.

azXOvcr.jpg

ihAsQRy.jpg

SY4wyDK.jpg

Left hand nail nick due to the blade & can opener orientation.

Tq8vyCQ.jpg

I wanted it to look old & so tried to keep as much of the original patina as possible.

Hope you like it, thanks for reading.

That's fantastic! I really like it.
You should do something with the marlinspike, too. Maybe it would be useful on a keychain?

That really cool! I love your resourcefulness.

In the Guardians thread, I admitted I didn't understand what you had done to this knife, and requested more details. This is more than I ever hoped for! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Superb reclamation project!

- GT

I like how you aged the covers to go with the rest of the knife. What species of wood did you use?

Good on ya man! Way cool.
Nice outcome.
I applaud your vision, your attitude :thumbsup:, and your workmanship.

I'm inspired by your post, thanks.

You are pretty sharp :)

Michael

What a great revival and transformation of an old workhorse!:thumbsup:

Excellent work - I like the aged look of the timber covers as well.:cool:

Back