broken skull steel

:D yeah I thought of that too. my first thought actually was that this knife is what the voyager series should have turned into

I don’t look at the billboard/lettering except once to check if the steel is correct ;)

Did not buy the Voyager Large because having already this knife. As good as AUS-10 is, I think XHP in this series holds it longer while not that difficult to sharpen, and I haven’t found chipping issues having reprofiled two of them.:thumbsup:

The blade shape can do better if it’s wider following Voyager clip point with gentle curving belly rather than abruptly at the last part of long stretch of straight edge.

^^^^that's what I thought too, but ultimately I think it would be hard for them to keep the price point. Voyagers have lower-end steel and zytel handles (albeit with steel liners). G10 and XHP/S35VN are more costly. I don't think steel liners have any place in a voyager. For this alone, I prefer the old Japanese models. Been trying to get my hands on a few mint ones lately.

^^^^that's what I thought too, but ultimately I think it would be hard for them to keep the price point. Voyagers have lower-end steel and zytel handles (albeit with steel liners). G10 and XHP/S35VN are more costly. I don't think steel liners have any place in a voyager. For this alone, I prefer the old Japanese models. Been trying to get my hands on a few mint ones lately.
If they kept the aus10, triad lock and gave the voyagers thin g10 handles, they could design a nice voyager series that is more in line with the older generations.

If they kept the aus10, triad lock and gave the voyagers thin g10 handles, they could design a nice voyager series that is more in line with the older generations.

I’d buy multiples of most if they did this.

When Cold Steel knives you on sale I tend to buy multiples. I have there XL Recon 1s, three XL Talwars, one Frenzy and one Broken Skull, all with CTS,XHP steel. Of all of them, I like the Recon 1 tantos the best, followed by the Frenzy. I carried the Broken Skull for four days and went back to my AUS8A Large Voyager. I've never felt any need for anything more than my AUS8A knives except people on YouTube telling me I needed something better, and when I use my knife on any given day, a few swipes on my ceramic rods brings them back to shaving sharp.

We live in a world where we are sold things we seldom need. When I was a kid, one Alka-Seltzer was enough to settle one's stomach. Then we watched TV and what did we hear? "Plop, plop, fizz, fizz, oh what a relief it is." Then s suddenly everyone was taking two of them! Then we had two blades in our razors instead of one. We started buying everything in multiples of twos (and paying for them!).

Some people need more cutting power and better steel, but I ain't one of them. I like my Recon 1 because of its looks and the feel. The DLC is great, too. But I don't need the steel, though I like having it. If someone sneaked into my room and swapped steels on me, I doubt I'd notice. For opening packages, cutting up boxes, and slicing nylon cord, and using the knife for self defense, AUS8A actually works better. If a knife cuts 212 cuts on heavy rope with XHP and half that with AUS8A, I'm better off sharpening the blade more often because I can keep it hair-popping sharp. And my ceramic sharpener is already set up on my dresser.

So each person has to honestly assess his own needs. I'd rather have two Large XHP Recon 1 knives in my collection, because then I'd have two knives, each of them better than a Chris Reeve Sebenza! Cold Steel makes great knives, and its steel now makes them better than Spyderco, in my view (and I love Spyderco!). It's just that Spyderco has gotten to be a bit hard on the wallet. For collecting, Spyderco is still super; however, for buying a single knife for use day in and day out, Cold Steel is now the better knife in my view.

But to each his own. If I could only have and carry one small knife, I'd still find it hard to beat an Endura, but for the price I'd have to choose a Recon 1 with S35V and a Tri-Ad lock. Sorry, Spyderco!

Back