Brother 1602 Knife Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few months back I came across a great user knife that just spoke volumes to me.No folder has absolute perfection but for how inexpensive it was? awfully darn close.I'd say it's flaws are weight(6.25oz) and no reversible pocket clip design to accommodate the lefties.Also the name 'Wonton' as the designer who for some reason wants to remain anonymous.

So what's to praise about a knife that's 'Made in China'? well here's my thoughts...

*As a kid I grew up on a slipjoint knife and from that use have always had a deep love for the versatility of a clip-point.You name it-hunting,fishing,camping,yardwork,cutting in spots with little space to work in the clip-point is champion in my book.Some beautiful clip-points have came around on modern knives but the 1602 model's is rather nice.A very thick and flat ground clip-point with a generous amount of sweep on the spine.Well swedged but not too much steel ground off to risk being brittle at the tip.It's a pretty thick blade and came reasonably sharp with about 3.5" in cutting edge.A good amount of factory bevel width brought it to razor sharp in no time.

*On one note I'll say on comfort it could use some jimping machined through the bolster back and liner right behind the Wave style opener.I'm used to gradual ramping style jimping so this this takes a little used to...beyond that? very comfortable.This knife blends the ability to clutch up and have the finger guard/flipper for protection with thumb rested on the Wave's jimping.You can feel that jimping on the liner lock and flipper flow together and give more traction on your index finger.Or you can choke up on the deep choil and thumb up on the Wave's jimping to do some skinning and precision cutting work.The wooden scales are flat but scalloped at the sides to reduce a squared off feel in your grip.Shortly put it's built for those who want more comfort and cutting options.

*You can deploy this knife via thumb,flipper/finger guard deployment,or a Wave-style opener.Aside from that this knife has a ball-bearing system and dual pivot screws that grants slick as lubricant action.The Emerson Wave has always had mixed outcomes on deployment due to varying pocket shapes from work pants to blue jeans on my end.This Wave inspired design though is just fantastic and has not disappointed...always deploys with every kind of pants pocket style when I want it to.Great flipper deployment action.Different thumb-studs as they're dome like.Probably won't be your favorite for some reason the domed thumb-stud feeling 'fits' manually opening this knife and feeling those ball bearings roll on the steel liners.

The '440C' Stainless Steel(is it any good)?:
You know darn good and well China is not buying 440C from Carpenter or Latrobe and having it shipped from the USA and paying import taxes...there's another way...the Camillus route.Camillus has their blades crafted in Taiwan as a source for Japanese steel then their sent to China for assembly.Taiwan will also use German sources like Thyssen-Krupp for identical steels of the 420/440 Series because they're local and once again import taxes.Sandvik is another story for Chinese acquisition because they sell steel worldwide.Either the Brother 1602 be in German or Chinese steel? who knows...at cost what matters is it if performs as stated.From using it yes it's no soft razor quality/fine blanking steel.It is dense and provides better than average edge retention at response to coarse materials and takes more passes to sharpen up than common cutlery steels...it reflects 440C in my opinion.

*It weighs a good bit because the steel liners aren't milled.It has stainless steel bolsters and a thick blade to boot.All this in a 5" long handle.You get used to the weight though-you'll pick up a 4oz. knife and feel something is missing or off.

I can't say there's a future for the knife brand known as Brother.The slogan 'One Knife One Life' of the Brother brand is a reverse of the slogan developed by TOPS.The Brother line was apparently started as a project by some company called Ming Hong Tools and Hardware(stamped on box label)..originally under the brand called Navy.Basically the Navy/Brother brand appears to be a Spyderco clone line except for the 1602 model.Judging by the fit and finish though most likely contracted to be made under Enlan/Ganzo/Sanrenmu.It's just so well designed you'll even notice the slanted bolster lines up with the flat grind with the blade closed in the handle.The Brother 1602 knife will probably never be a collectible.But I actually ordered a second one because I felt it was a stellar folder and something this nice at the price won't be around for a long time.That it unless the designer 'Wonton' (laughing) plans on cranking some more designs in the future.On that note they seemed to be made in only 1000 pieces,every blade is serial numbered on the reverse side.I highly recommend if you're wanting to drop under $30 for a folder with an awful lot of work put into it...the Brother 1602 is worth checking out.

You could have started the review with that. Would have made the rest of the review academic. Deal breaker.

So, we have an apparent "clone" line and a new guy says it's quality...

You know you can but an actual Spyderco line (Byrd) for under $30 and actually support a legit company instead of a thieving one, right?

(Laughing) for starters I don't know why you're calling me NEW(check when I joined BladeForums versus yourself)I post when I have something to say.Secondly....not a Spyderco fan.Third- you are aware that Byrd knives are made by the Sanrenmu/Enlan/Ganzo bunch right? despite original designs by Byrd you're technically give money to a factory that produces clones.Fourth-show me a picture of the knife that the Brother 1602 model obviously replicates.

Oh come on.The Spyderco Manix line itself borrowed it's ideas from Pat Crawford's Carnivore handle design and altered it a little to accommodate the Native style blade.It's no surprise these two models share tip-up only carry and a hi-tech lock design..the Carnivore was discontinued in 2000.One of Spyderco's most popular USA made is not 100% authentic.

Last edited:
Cool looking knife, gotta say. How is it a clone of the Spyderco Byrd? I see no resemblance o_O

Just because you joined at an earlier date, doesn't mean your part of the community, hence the "New" comment. Try comparing post content and amount... (edit to add: Signing up 3.5 months prior to me isn't worth bragging over. Are you a paid member? I have been near the whole time.)

As far as which company is more likely to use anothers designs without consent, let's take the 4+ companies you stated and see which are more prone to cloning others knives.
- sanrenmu/enlan/ganzo/brother/navy
Very likely to just assume they can use another brands design and/or lock.

-Spyderco
Not near as likely to do so, and in fact Spyderco said that their early Byrd models were made by ganzo but their current iterations are not due to Ganzo cloning them without consent.
I hope you don't mind me doing your homework for you.

Please don't bother responding to me as I am going to have you in ignore.

The way I look at it, if you attempt to refute the info I have stated, it would just be a lame attempt at trying to justify where the line between honesty and dishonesty is. I'll spell it out for you, It is either stolen or not, honorable or not, there is no grey area.

Looks to me like they made a folding version of a nick wheeler Bowie, and while it's kind of cool looking I don't like that stupid ass hook on the spine of the blade.

Now the 1502 that I saw when I googled this knife really speaks to me, it's a drop point traditional lockback with black linen micarta scales and brass hardware.

Looks to me like they made a folding version of a nick wheeler Bowie, and while it's kind of cool looking I don't like that stupid ass hook on the spine of the blade.

Now the 1502 that I saw when I googled this knife really speaks to me, it's a drop point traditional lockback with black linen micarta scales and brass hardware.

Haven't checked out the 1502 yet but I will.The hook is a self-opening function like the Emerson Wave (but doesn't use the name).As I mentioned in the review strangely in works better in different pants pockets than the Emerson Wave itself.

Warning for insults
Just because you joined at an earlier date, doesn't mean your part of the community, hence the "New" comment. Try comparing post content and amount... (edit to add: Signing up 3.5 months prior to me isn't worth bragging over. Are you a paid member? I have been near the whole time.)

As far as which company is more likely to use anothers designs without consent, let's take the 4+ companies you stated and see which are more prone to cloning others knives.
- sanrenmu/enlan/ganzo/brother/navy
Very likely to just assume they can use another brands design and/or lock.

-Spyderco
Not near as likely to do so, and in fact Spyderco said that their early Byrd models were made by ganzo but their current iterations are not due to Ganzo cloning them without consent.
I hope you don't mind me doing your homework for you.

Please don't bother responding to me as I am going to have you in ignore.

The way I look at it, if you attempt to refute the info I have stated, it would just be a lame attempt at trying to justify where the line between honesty and dishonesty is. I'll spell it out for you, It is either stolen or not, honorable or not, there is no grey area.

Actually I will reply to you because you'll read it and I know you'll read it.You can't help it...you were acting ugly the moment you posted and we're not talking about a Spyderco knife in the thread...

*No I haven't done my 'homework' on Spyderco from noticing on the Manix 2's 'originality' you turned the cheek to.I don't like their knives...why would I take interest in them?Though I do recall them trying to patent to their thumb-hole so they could sue anyone who dared to drill a hole in a blade for deployment.And the first to start doing that were Schrade and Buck...American manufacturers.

*You've posted 6,360 times...I don't have that kind of free time.I like to post something meaningful though and hope it sticks to benefit others and put perspectives out there.Just because you paid for a gold membership doesn't mean you're more educated than anyone else or hold some water in the knife community or the businesses around it...get over yourself.Here's twenty bucks (chucks it at NJBiLLK) and you can get me a 12-pack...I prefer Miller Lite.But keep the change for the next revision of your membership because I want you to feel superior in the end.

Last edited:
Haven't checked out the 1502 yet but I will.The hook is a self-opening function like the Emerson Wave (but doesn't use the name).As I mentioned in the review strangely in works better in different pants pockets than the Emerson Wave itself.
I know, I don't like pocket snaggers.

Hey, look folks, he is still posting false information.

A) The Spyderco hole is a trademark, not a patent. It is even on their fixed blades and smaller versions on the Mantra 2. It is a trademark so you can note quickly that it is a Spyderco, like talon holes for Busse.

B) The handles look rather different on the Carnivore and Manix 2. See photo.
2017-06-21 20.26.04.jpg
I love the ergos of the Manix, not so much with the Carnivore. It is too fat by the pinky/ring finger. Maybe that is why it was discontinued?

C) I know you must have some free time, look how much time you are dedicating to me. That alone says you haven't been so busy that you can only post (on average) once a week over the last 4 years... Leaders of countries wouldn't be that busy, and I doubt you are some big "mover and shaker".

D) I am admitting that I am also wrong in this, but since you have been here so long, you should know by now...
Discuss the knives, not the posters.

I have primarily been discussing the knives, but you are trying to make this a personal affront (plus you drink bad beer), and both net my not bothering to prove you wrong once again.

Please stop, you are embarrassing yourself.

I know, I don't like pocket snaggers.

That is the one downfall I can say about any kind of Wave design or modification to open by pocket liner catching.You can't just take it out to retire for the night and set it on the nightstand like any other knife and expect the blade to be closed.A little maneuvering can be done to prevent it from self-deploying.But every deployment method has it's mixture of up's and down's.

why can't we keep discussion of interesting knives on topic without getting the self righteous moral police out of the wood works?

#1 Byrd is made by Navy, so same company

#2 Brother 1602 is a fantastic knife which I have two, despite all the high end knives I have with super steels this is my new favorite knife bar none, the fit and finish could be better, it's a little sharp around the edges and have some sharp corners, I took a file to it and it feels much better

#3 this knife is an original design, the double guard which works as a flipper is more similar to Viper knife's double guard that also happens to function as a wave and not in the shape of emerson wave

#4 most knife nuts are also into guns, if you have so many issues with knife shape/design/feel similarities between companies then how do you justify all the 1911 pistols you have that are not made by Colt? Ideas are shared throughout human history, when someone come up or discover a new idea or technology it is copied and shared be it fire/wheel/iron/bow/sword/gun powder(which Europeans stole from the Chinese who invented it, don't see any firearms companies or western militaries paying royalties to China do you?) so case in point, unless it's a blatant fake/forgery which tries to pass itself up as the original there's no issue, otherwise you really naive and don't have an understanding of human society, history and evolution (at least not a practical one ingrained in reality anyways)

Don't encourage him, he thinks he is right about enough falsehoods already...

Well hi there Bill! You come back with the beer?...no? well I guess you can't trust some people.In case you haven't noticed you haven't even engaged on the topic of the Brother 1602 knife at all...just bursting in and going on and on about Spyderco clones.In fact you burst in on the thread like a drunk person at a formal dinner...which might explain why my beer is still MIA.

My point being is if you don't want to talk about the Brother 1602 Knife then don't converse on an unrelated topic and make an actual embarrassment of YOURSELF.

The blade looks small in comparison to the handle.

The handle closed is 5" long.The amount of cutting edge is 3.5" but keep in mind that choil and finger guard/flipper adding to that and giving more extension to the clip-point.Something about the Brother 1602 strikes me as a fresh kind of approach to someone building a folding yet hi-tech version of a Sharpfinger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back