Brother is really hard on knives, looking for an inexpensive tough knife in a decent steel

Macchina

Gold Member
My brother really uses his pocket knives, sticking to the mentality of "every tool is a hammer". He typically carries at best a CRKT and usually a no name brand that lasts 6 months tops.

He wears out pivots and all his screws loosen as fast as his knife dulls. When I sharpen them I end up cleaning out a ton of gunk too.

I'm looking to get him a decent tough knife. Nothing too expensive but I'd like a thinner edge that'll cut after it dulls a bit in a decent steel that isn't as soft as his usual 440A knives.

I found the Kershaw Barge which would be great but it's 8Cr13MoV:

download.jpeg

Anything similar in a better steel?

I’m not sure of any that look like that one, but an Ontario RAT should be be a good fit. Your choice between AUS8 and D2. Cheap and expendable, while not lacking in quality and craftsmanship.

I have a Kershaw Barge, and it is a great tool. The steel works fine for working around the yard and garage, it takes an edge and holds it fine. The prybar at the back is fully functional, and if he bangs his knives up then it will save the blade a lot of grief. It makes a good hammer, too, in a pinch. Good 440 holds a better edge, but the Barge is a step up from 440A without a Buck heat treat. RATs are always an economical choice, as are Doziers, but a Cold Steel Voyager can take a lot of abuse and still keep going too.

Cold Steel AK-47 folder , good steel and bullet proof Tri-ad lock . Also one of very few folders with a real metal pommel ! But is gonna cost up near $100 , now .

Firebird F720 , very sturdy hard use folder . ~$20 .

Buy him a few Opinel in different sizes. Their stainless is great for a user. (So is rhs carbon, but the stainless holds an edge a bit better, and sharpens just as easy)

They outcut my much more expensive knives. And they are cheap!!
Also, if he is working with them... a mora or two might be perfect!!!

Ever wonder why people say not to strike or pry with a folding knife? It isn't just the blade steel you have to worry about. Pivots, scales, locking mechanisms, etc. can all be damaged. I'm tempted to recommend sticking with disposable cheapies if this is how he is going to treat them. Beyond that, this kind of rough use is much better suited to a fixed blade. Can he carry a fixed blade?

LOL! I have a brother who beats the living crap outta knives.

He throws folders for fun. Unbelievably tough on folders.

He "sounds" stumps by stabbing into them to ascertain their integrity. (He's a logger)

He's been through a buttload of knives. Currently he has a BM HK Mini Axis, which is holding up fine.

If he messes it up, he's getting this Kershaw Cryo, designed by Rick Hinderer. Best of luck, I guess.

The ka bar jarosz folder is a pretty heavy duty knife for about 50.00! I use it as a work knife and don't baby it at all. Not sure I'm as bad as your brother though!

Reactions: Mo2
Amazon Dash Button+Mora Basic
giphy.gif

My brother really uses his pocket knives, sticking to the mentality of "every tool is a hammer". He typically carries at best a CRKT and usually a no name brand that lasts 6 months tops.

He wears out pivots and all his screws loosen as fast as his knife dulls. When I sharpen them I end up cleaning out a ton of gunk too.

I'm looking to get him a decent tough knife. Nothing too expensive but I'd like a thinner edge that'll cut after it dulls a bit in a decent steel that isn't as soft as his usual 440A knives.

I found the Kershaw Barge which would be great but it's 8Cr13MoV:

View attachment 1125103

Anything similar in a better steel?

Cold Steel Pocket Bushman

cold-steel-95fbc-pocket-bushman-jm.jpg

The lock takes some gettin used to, but I'm not sure it can be beat in the inexpensive abuse resistance category.

I feel that if he treats them unlike a knife is supposed to be used, then just keep buying cheap stuff. Knives are just going to break on him, no point in trying something better. Walmart has cheap knives between 3 and 5 dollars. They are kinda jenkey but they work for your brothers uses.

Otherwise "cold steel" makes tough locks. And has varying price points.

KA-BAR Dozier Folding Hunter is an affordable lockback that's a good user.

As mentioned above the KA-BAR Jarosz Folder. It's bigger and heavier than the Dozier. Also a decent user.

I'd avoid those Kershaws. They arnt built for hard use imho.

You don't want a super hard steel, they will just crack. Too soft and it will bend and not return to true.

Benchmade have a 3v steel now and have 3 models in this steel, 2 folders and a fixed blade. They can bend and go straight again but pretty pricey, and can be chippy depending on the abuse. But yea... Might be a good choice for a non knife guy.

This one doesn't have a tip. The other is a tanto tip and the fixed blade is a puuko

Last edited:
I just saw Wranglerstar give his opinion on the new Gerber Fastball.

That one could be an option

Pretty much anything Cold Steel, if he's hard on knives and has that 'every tool is a hammer' mentality as you said, he might do things that could put a frame or liner lock in a situation that your fingers might not like....You won't have to worry about any of that with a Tri-ad lock. Recon, Voyager, AK47, Lawman, all bulletproof workhorses that actually cut well.

Buy him a hammer. Maybe he’ll take the hint. (Google hammer knife there are actually some combo options.)

Just kidding sort of. You have to break a few things to learn their limits. Even hammers have limits. It’s an expensive way to learn. It’s seems he’s not learning the lesson.

Some people should only have utility knives.

Last edited:
If he is going to abuse them, as his job requires, maybe it is best to stick with inexpensive users, not cheap, but decent quality and not hard to replace. Several around in different places, maybe, that way there will always be one handy. I do like a Buck 110 or 112, or other Buck knife. I also agree this situation is better suited for a fixed blade, like a Mora, maybe simple carbon steel like 1095 or 5160, the RAT 3 or ESEE knives. Or another idea, a Glock field knife or an old bayonet.

It seems to be all about what is most cost effective. If he trashes 2 knives in a year vs 1 knife in a year that costs twice as much....what's the difference?

He sounds happy with his cheap knives. Dance with who brung ya.

Back