Brother is really hard on knives, looking for an inexpensive tough knife in a decent steel

Kershaw Blur in s30V or a Buck Pro Vantage in the same steel.

Agree.
Get the best cheap alternative, the Rat 1. Has been a good work knife for me, but I don t abuse my knives. I do use them hard.
Thin ground and keeps a working age for a long time. D2 blade is a good choice.

+1 to this

Buck 110 / Forever Warranty ;)
Tga5vh9.jpg

IMO:

#1. Make him sharpen his own knives.
#2. Show him how to repair his own knives.

You didn't describe what he does with his knives... unless he really does hammer things with it. If that's the case, get him a hammer. If not, why not have him get something that is actually used for whatever he is doing?

I'm thinking it's between the Steel Will Cutjack and Ontario RAT-1... Anyone have the Steel Will?

You could buy him a Byrd and have decent quality for not much money. Of course, you could buy him an Izula. I carry one in my pocket quite often. He can't tear that up!

Considering you can find the Kershaw Barge for about $15, you won't do any better then 7-8-or maybe 9crXmov steels out of china, which aren't "bad" persay if the Heat Treat is ok. Some company's are more consistent then others.

Next best value, ESEE Zancudo in D2, framelock with better steel for about $35...

If everything to him is a hammer, get him a hammer and a cheapo razor knife with a lot of replacement blades.

Make sure you slowly explain which one’s for smashin’ and which one’s for cuttin’ stuff.

honestly cheap, sharp and idiot proof
well. not unless one is downright careless ...
be sure to get the spare blades too,

Last edited:
I have an A.G,Russell rancher, great little knife and not expensive. Have a look at one, i think it is on page 5 of their knives page, with a video about the knife.

Currently the best cheap beater knives around are coming from Ganzo's Firebird line. In fact they just released their first knife to top $50.00, a OTF automatic. Most can be had between $15-$30 with free shipping. Like a razor right outa da box, bargain basement? yes. a good knife? Most assuredly. Testing against similar more expensive American blades prove that in most cases the blade steel in the Ganzo is superior. Unless of course you opt to spend a extra $150.

Victorinox Pioneer. He can use the bottle opener for prying and the awl for poking, when the pivot gets a bit loose just hit the pins with a hammer a bit to tighten them up. Steel is soft so won't crack easily and you can bend it back into shape (I was a lot younger and used the blade for prying), also means it's very easy to sharpen even from completely dull. Metal body for light hammering. It's also cheap to buy and replace.

Back