Brother is really hard on knives, looking for an inexpensive tough knife in a decent steel

+1 for fixed blade or Cold Steel
I don't like carrying either for EDC because they end up being unnecessarily bulky for me, but they oughta hold up if you're using a knife for non-knife things.
I use my flat blade screwdrivers for chiseling and prying when you're not supposed to but they're only 5-10$

Buy him a small fixed blade if he’s primarily into folders for their length and ease of carry.

I suggest you purchase a used carothers edc knife.

Well, what did you finally get him?

This was a perfect opportunity to test some of these highly touted so called "tough" steels, like cruwear and 3v darlings. :cool: :D

These might suit his needs. A CRKT fixed blade Razel, an Estwing Roofing hatchet/hammer, and some protective eyewear.timthumb.jpegs-l300.jpgmcr-safety-safety-goggles-mcs2028-64_145.jpg

Folding boxcutter and a smallish pry tool. I like the ones from EOD Robotics.

Stanley makes an adjustable wrench now that has a striking face, and a pry-tip on the butt. Between those three (and some instruction on which tool is for what), he should be set.

Now, the jaw on the wrench is very sloppy, but I don't think your brother is ready for "good" tools, just yet......

Back