Brown G10 Stretch 2

Who else is super excited about this one? I haven't yet gotten in to the per order an wit for months for a knife thing, but with this one it might change. I really liked my VG10 Stretch but isn't care much for the frn or straight choil. This one fixe both.

It's peel-ply G-10, so I have a hard time getting "super excited" over it. :eek:

Still, it's one of the only two of Spyderco's announced offerings that keep me checking my dealer's "What's New" page in hopes it will appear and I figure I can find someone to remove the peel-ply texture and polish the scales, or replace them altogether, so I'm at least "moderately excited". :)

Very interested and for sure will get one. Where did you see the price, by the way?

This is one I'll have to wait to get a feel for in person. I like G10 as much as the next guy, but, I love my British Racing Green FRN first gen zdp stretch. I'll reserve judgement on the price difference. On one hand I have to acknowledge that's a big gap in price between the two knives. On the other, I've never felt buyer's remorse on any Spydie I've bought before.

We can only make 100 pcs per month. They've started coming in but we have to wait until we have enough to begin shipping.

sal

Thanks for the update, Sal. I've been looking forward to acquiring this one since it was first announced.

Sal, are the Japanese makers incorporating the latest greatest CQI on the locking mechanism, that the Native 5 has, on this new Stretch?

Ill probably get one. Im not crazy about these screw clip holes around the pivots though. I understand why they do it but I dont like it. Its really obvious on the brown G10. Im thinking about turning and threading some little brass pins to cover up said holes on my more premium knives. Like the fluted ti native for example. These holes kinda ruin the look.

Retail: $350.00

$209.95

people will still buy it

I can get a brand new Benchmade 940 and a Delica 4 for the same price. I for one, cannot/will not justify the price. Looks great from all angles, aside from the price tag.

I doubt it will stay $200+ for long. As much as I want one I would never pay that much for It.

I'd like some opinions here if I may? I just ordered/ returned a VG-10 sample Stretch because it didn't seem right to me. I love the looks, and blade shape of it. I want one of my own. But I really didn't care for FRN too much, and the real kicker for me was the up and down blade play of the knife.

I like a locking blade to lock up tight. So, are all of the back lock Spyderco knives going to have that blade play?

I am still pretty new to the better quality knives, but I did buy a Bradley folder and a PM2 and they both lock up like a bank vault. Of course, the PM2 was another 30.00, and the Bradley was 60.00 more.

Is the Brown G10 sample likely to lock up like either one of my other two knives, or will there always be up/down blade play in back locks.

200.00 seems really high to me, trying to compare value against my other two Spydercos

Any thoughts to share?

Sal, are the Japanese makers incorporating the latest greatest CQI on the locking mechanism, that the Native 5 has, on this new Stretch?

WHat is the change you are referring to? I missed any sign of it.

I'd like some opinions here if I may? I just ordered/ returned a VG-10 sample Stretch because it didn't seem right to me. I love the looks, and blade shape of it. I want one of my own. But I really didn't care for FRN too much, and the real kicker for me was the up and down blade play of the knife.

I like a locking blade to lock up tight. So, are all of the back lock Spyderco knives going to have that blade play?

I am still pretty new to the better quality knives, but I did buy a Bradley folder and a PM2 and they both lock up like a bank vault. Of course, the PM2 was another 30.00, and the Bradley was 60.00 more.

Is the Brown G10 sample likely to lock up like either one of my other two knives, or will there always be up/down blade play in back locks.

200.00 seems really high to me, trying to compare value against my other two Spydercos

Any thoughts to share?

My understanding is that it's not unusual for lock-backs to exhibit some (minor) degree of up/down blade movement. The $200 price is a lot, but the cost of materials compared to an FRN VG-10 model is higher, and the full-liner/G10 construction is more robust and requires more final finishing steps.

Any thoughts to share?

I believe and I will be corrected if I'm wrong.... that all Spyderco's with that style lock will have a bit up/ down movement, it is just inherent of that design. All mine do it if used hard but I have never had a situation where I felt it was a issue.

Any thoughts to share?
Slight vertical blade play is not universal in Spyderco midlocks, and I wouldn't call it normal, but it's not uncommon either. If it bothers you, and you have a dealer you do business with regularly, you might consider asking them to check.

As for the price, I have to agree. I trust Sal and Spyderco enough to assume there's a legitimate reason why the G-10 Stretch will have an MSRP $100 higher than the Police 3, but damned if I know what it is. I know ZDP-189 adds something to the cost, but that much?

It might get me interested if it was something other than brown.

Back