Brown G10 Stretch 2

Variety is never bad and Spyderco definately has it.:)

Never taken a Stretch apart - they have what - partial liners than don't run the length of the handle?
I probably should have said full-flush liners. The FRN Stretch has full liners, but they're about 1/16" smaller all around than the FRN scales and are nested inside them. Same construction as used on the FRN Delicas and Enduras. Weight saving compared with full flush liners is trivial, but having them nested makes it much more difficult to make replacement scales.

How is it peel ply g10? I mean... what would be under the brown g10?
On top of the G-10, actually. Peel-ply is the surface texture Spyderco uses on almost all their G-10 scales whether they're black, blue camo, brown, grey, etc.

Here's a shot of the prototype that I had the honor of playing with for a week last year. You can see the peel-ply texture...

G-10%20Stretch_Prototype%20Color.JPG

I'm just guessing this high price may somewhat reflect this variation as more like a trial run, just to guage it's consumer reception and performance... then maybe get refined and put into higher production volume in FRN and another steel and MSRP will drop.

Has it ever been mentioned the quantity in which these initial Brown G10/ZDP-189 Stretches will be produced?

Might be a sought after blade after some time.
I will be getting one. I like ZDP-189, and peel ply G10. :)

I'm just guessing this high price may somewhat reflect this variation as more like a trial run, just to guage it's consumer reception and performance... then maybe get refined and put into higher production volume in FRN and another steel and MSRP will drop.

Has it ever been mentioned the quantity in which these initial Brown G10/ZDP-189 Stretches will be produced?

Might be a sought after blade after some time.
I will be getting one. I like ZDP-189, and peel ply G10. :)
Based on Sal's comment in this thread that the maker can only produce 100 of them a month, coupled with its appearance in the 2015 Spyderco catalog as a regular production item, I think it's safe to say the brown G-10 Stretch will fall into the "Limited Production" category but won't be a Sprint Run style "limited edition of nnn pieces".

I probably should have said full-flush liners. The FRN Stretch has full liners, but they're about 1/16" smaller all around than the FRN scales and are nested inside them. Same construction as used on the FRN Delicas and Enduras. Weight saving compared with full flush liners is trivial, but having them nested makes it much more difficult to make replacement scales.

On top of the G-10, actually. Peel-ply is the surface texture Spyderco uses on almost all their G-10 scales whether they're black, blue camo, brown, grey, etc.

Here's a shot of the prototype that I had the honor of playing with for a week last year. You can see the peel-ply texture...

So the same as the Calypso Brown G-10 Sprint?

The Brown isn't that bad - I think a Blue G-10 would look good on this knife though.

So the same as the Calypso Brown G-10 Sprint?
I think so, but it's been a year since I had both available to compare. Two different makers, so no way to know for sure if the G-10 comes from the same source but, if the color is not exactly the same, it's definitely very close.

The Brown isn't that bad - I think a Blue G-10 would look good on this knife though.
I'd be happy with a dark blue, less so with the 'Smurf" blue G-10 Spyderco seems to love. As for the brown, I think it will look much better once smoothed down and polished.

I was fairly excited to try out ZDP-189 in a G10 Stretch. I have the blue Nishjin version and love the ergos. At $200+, that won't be happening. I realize that it's a fairly low production item, hence the costs are higher, but at the over $200 price point there are a lot of other knives I'd choose first. That includes a fair number of Spyderco's Taichung models. I could also scratch the ZDP itch with one of the Caly 3.5's for a lot less money. Hopefully the price comes down as more of them enter the market. I'd pick one up at around the $150 mark.

how could one have "peel ply" g-10?

Peel ply is the process of applying an external textured ply on the outside of the G-10 or carbon or whatever before it's set, then peeling it off to reveal the texture.

I've reread this thread several times and I don't see any comparison made to the original CF Stretch. I pulled mine out, and with the exception of the serrations on the back of the blade, the "new" G10 version looks exactly like the old CF model. Even the same peel-ply texture, and skeletized liners. Just a different color scale color, since the CF scale is really G10 with a paper thin Carbon fiber veneer.

What I am missing in this new G10 Stretch?

BTW, I have no blade play in my CF Stretch

I've reread this thread several times and I don't see any comparison made to the original CF Stretch. I pulled mine out, and with the exception of the serrations on the back of the blade, the "new" G10 version looks exactly like the old CF model. Even the same peel-ply texture, and skeletized liners. Just a different color scale color, since the CF scale is really G10 with a paper thin Carbon fiber veneer.

Look closer at the lines and proportions. The shapes have all been slightly altered. Most notable to the eye at a glance is the choil area.

The Caly 3.5 that is a ZDP clad blade is basically $200 but has carbon fiber scales. You trade G10 for cF BUT trade clad ZDP for a solid ZDP and the price sounds right in line with the C3.5 ZDP. Do I wish it were cheaper? Of course but still had to point out that C3.5 comparison

You might want to read this thread of mine over on the Spyderco Factory Forum for a more detailed description of the changes, and some comparative photos, but here's the jist of it.

Compared with your CF Stretch, the brown G-10 Stretch 2 will have a slightly deeper finger choil and a slightly longer handle that will appeal to the folks with larger hands who found the older ones cramped. It will also weigh a bit more, and ride a bit higher in your pocket.

J
You might want to read this thread of mine over on the Spyderco Factory Forum for a more detailed description of the changes, and some comparative photos, but here's the jist of it.

Compared with your CF Stretch, the brown G-10 Stretch 2 will have a slightly deeper finger choil and a slightly longer handle that will appeal to the folks with larger hands who found the older ones cramped. It will also weigh a bit more, and ride a bit higher in your pocket.
Thanks for the info. I think the CF Stretch is perfect, but happy to see that a non-FRN version will again be available.

Mr Glessers comment about 100pcs a month give me some insight on why this knife would come at a premium.

I'm actually more excited now about this knife than when I originally posted in this thread. I think a deeper finger choil will make this one an even better user.

But...what I'm really excited about...Brown G10 looks badass, reference the S35VN PM2, plus the shape of the Stretch blade in general....I bet some black Cerakote on the blade one make one helluva looker. Yeah, okay, sign me up.

But...what I'm really excited about...Brown G10 looks badass, reference the S35VN PM2, plus the shape of the Stretch blade in general....I bet some black Cerakote on the blade one make one helluva looker. Yeah, okay, sign me up.

Something like this color scheme:
2015-04-06%2003.36.25_zpsgz0l9vz4.jpg

I agree, I dig the brown.

The Caly 3.5 that is a ZDP clad blade is basically $200 but has carbon fiber scales. You trade G10 for cF BUT trade clad ZDP for a solid ZDP and the price sounds right in line with the C3.5 ZDP. Do I wish it were cheaper? Of course but still had to point out that C3.5 comparison

Maybe after the new Stretch has been out a while it will get to the point where the price is in line with the Caly 3.5 CF, but right now the Caly can be had for under $160. That's a better value to me. That said, I don't have a Caly and haven't handled one, so I can't say I'd like it better than the Stretch, but I think it's a better value just based on features.

Back