Brown G10 Stretch 2

Great pics gear guy!

How do the liner/scale edges feel? Not sharp I hope.

I know this completely changes the knife, but if they had converted this to a liner lock, with the new G10 scales. I would Instabuy.

Great pics gear guy!

How do the liner/scale edges feel? Not sharp I hope.

You can't feel any transition from the scale to the liner, they're perfectly smooth. The edges of the scales are nicely rounded. No sharp edges at all. Overall the machining is very well done. The pivot was a little tight and had to be opened and closed a bunch before I could flick it open with any consistency. Now, after about 400 openings it's feeling nice and smooth and flicks open much more easily.

Is the handle noticeably longer than the previous Stretch? That is mainly what is making me hesitate currently. I don't need my Stretch to be longer in the handle.

It's a little longer. Since the handle sort of fades back at the end now instead of wrapping down I don't feel where it ends in my hand anymore. For me it's an improvement, but it is a little longer.

Is the handle noticeably longer than the previous Stretch? That is mainly what is making me hesitate currently. I don't need my Stretch to be longer in the handle.
Depends on what you consider "noticeably larger". Personally, I'd say the difference in the size of the grip areas of the is more easily noticed than the difference in closed length, but as with all comparisons involving weight, length, or thickness, while the measurements are objective their significance is at least partly subjective. In this case, the objective answer is that the Stretch 2 handle is about 3/16" longer than that of the CF, FRN, and NG versions. Whether that's a noticeable difference or merely a trivial one is going to vary from user to user.

G-10%20Stretch%20Shape.JPG

3%20Generation%20Stretch%20Compare.JPG

Note too that the handles of the CF, FRN, and NG versions of the Stretch are slightly longer than the handle of the original SS/Kraton Stretch.

Rocky Patel Cigar and a Spyderco, hard to argue against that.

Thanks for the pics, Deacon. Shows the size relation really well. I didn't really notice the more pronounced upsweep in the blade on the newer version either until I saw your pics.

Pics intrigue me! I think this knife could replace my PM2 - easily! I guess I'll keep an eye on prices, but I have no need for it. Lol.

Pics intrigue me! I think this knife could replace my PM2 - easily! I guess I'll keep an eye on prices, but I have no need for it. Lol.
You got me thinking about how the PM2 compares with the Stretch so I thought I'd put up a couple of comparison pics.
xNcE0f9h.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
fiwRBtGh.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
NvUepYJh.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
M7CmV0zh.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

I know this completely changes the knife, but if they had converted this to a liner lock, with the new G10 scales. I would Instabuy.

HO YUP total instashoppingcart. Linerlock and G10 is, surprisingly with all the fads these days, still my favorite combo. My Spyderco Sage 1 is the closest to perfection that i have seen in my collection. All my spydercos have a small quirk to each of them that i despise.

The price tag on this stretch really is steep. The competition is fierce, even from lower-priced competitors. We could take Sal's advice and "stop looking at the wrong end of the knife" and grab the ZDP189 FRN Stretch. ;)

Normally I am a stickler for saying stuff is too expensive when it starts going over $200. In this case I am not. ZDP-189 is expensive steel and I'm pretty sure it is hard to work with. I think $200 is acceptable for this knife. I hope to get one. :)

Wow..I just saw Knifeworks put these on sale for less than $190. That's a darn good deal for this piece of quality...

Normally I am a stickler for saying stuff is too expensive when it starts going over $200. In this case I am not. ZDP-189 is expensive steel and I'm pretty sure it is hard to work with. I think $200 is acceptable for this knife. I hope to get one. :)

I can buy Zdp Delicas for $75-$85 it isn't that exotic. I'd rather see it in 204, Elmax, m390, or S90v for that kind of money.

I decided to take the Stretch 2 out into the Superstition Wilderness in Arizona and see if it was really as tough as they say...:)

Yep. Sure enough, I can honestly say that the Stretch 2 did not collapse under that rock and the entire time the Stretch 2 was there the rock didn't even budge. That is one tough hombre. :D
XVF0MVGh.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
YlIXwxUh.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Truth is, I finally got a chance to take the Stretch out into the wilderness for a few hours and I had no need to cut anything other than my apple this time. I look forward to using it in a way that fits the knife but for now, it made a great (and tough) apple slicer. :thumbup:

Just put in my order for one. The price is slightly more then I wanted to spend, but I wanted this knife since I first heard of it's upcoming release. So I justified it as we all know we are apt to do.

The stretch, being my very first Spyderco way back when I was a babe in the woods, holds a very special sentimental status to me.

Hopefully it will arrive later this week. Thanks again Sal for putting this knife out there for us.

Back