Browning black label?

I've seen that their knives are okay quality for the price, but they have a major drawback in they kinda vague materials. Specs show most of the models using 440 but no grade specified. Specs also show 59-60 Rockwell, but 440A and 440B don't go that high, and if you use 440C you want to advertise that.

I'm gonna say, get a dedicated seat belt cutter and put it in your car or your pocket and get a decent budget blade for your everyday cutting needs. I wouldn't trust that Browning thing to do either well enough.

IME, when you buy Browning labeled gear, you generally pay a hefty premium just to have that name...

Idk they have atleast one knife I thought looks kind of cool. There definitely aren’t any threads posting about their amazing qualiy. They are expensive considering they are actually $15 Chinese knives with the word Browning stamped on them. (The ink that spells browning is special ink that costs 7$ per letter obviously)

This is kinda cool though still. Browning Black Label Vanquish. Krudo Knives design.
317PKIRlNVL._SY355_.jpg

The general rule is that knives branded by firearm companies are promotional scrap metal, and you'd be better off buying a knife branded by an actual maker.

There are a few exceptions that I know of:
  • Beretta (knives sourced from Maserin, Fantoni, and others, not fancy but quality)
  • Oberland Arms (not sure of the maker/s, but generally competing in the midtech space)
  • Wilson Tactical (collaborations with Chris Reeve, Les George, etc.)

The general rule is that knives branded by firearm companies are promotional scrap metal, and you'd be better off buying a knife branded by an actual maker.

• Beretta (knives sourced from Maserin, Fantoni, and others, not fancy but quality)
  • Oberland Arms (not sure of the maker/s, but generally competing in the midtech space)

Another exception;
Colt x-1 tomahawk, made in El Salvador from 1055 and toughest $20 sharp tool I’ve ever had!

Cool thanks

This is kinda cool though still. Browning Black Label Vanquish. Krudo Knives design.
317PKIRlNVL._SY355_.jpg
I had one of those. Two actually since they were cheap.

They come set up like you see, right hand carry, tip up, blade facing into the pocket. Meant to "open" as it's pulled from the pocket, which you can get it to do. Mine just opened in my pocket and I got cut. Moved the pocket clip to the other side and not it just sits in a drawer. I covered it's bases by getting a fixed blade karambit and a Spyderco Singh Khalsa for the "small everyday carry" (which obviously feels like and is a better little knife.) Anyway, not a bad knife, just not super well thought out, or at least requiring better detent for how it comes set up - although I would guess stronger detent would keep the gimmicky opening from happening. For a budget knife, it was no better or worse than other budget knives.

I had one of those. Two actually since they were cheap.

They come set up like you see, right hand carry, tip up, blade facing into the pocket. Meant to "open" as it's pulled from the pocket, which you can get it to do. Mine just opened in my pocket and I got cut. Moved the pocket clip to the other side and not it just sits in a drawer. I covered it's bases by getting a fixed blade karambit and a Spyderco Singh Khalsa for the "small everyday carry" (which obviously feels like and is a better little knife.) Anyway, not a bad knife, just not super well thought out, or at least requiring better detent for how it comes set up - although I would guess stronger detent would keep the gimmicky opening from happening. For a budget knife, it was no better or worse than other budget knives.

You have to be careful with knives that have a wave feature like that. They are obviously designed to open when draw. If you want to draw the knife without opening the blade just block the opening by putting a finger on the spine of the blade.

You have to be careful with knives that have a wave feature like that. They are obviously designed to open when draw. If you want to draw the knife without opening the blade just block the opening by putting a finger on the spine of the blade.
Sorry, might not have been clear. For the "wave" feature to work, the blade is tip up, spine facing the inside/groin side of the pocket (i'm sure you know this part). I put my hand in my pocket, and because the detent was not good or whatever, the blade was half open in my pocket and I got cut. It was not an error in it doing what was intended (the draw), it was a problem with it doing something unintended (just coming partially open in my pocket.

I'll stick to normal tip up/tip down blade towards the hip from now on.

Pretty much true.

It's best to stick with a manufacturers specialty products. A firearm manufactures specialty is producing firearms. I can't imagine Chris Reeve lending his name Hi-Point to manufacture a pistol with his name on it so he can get some extra profit by selling CR branded products outside of his expertise. If he did, I am sure he would would not let his name be associated with a $99 pistol manufactured by Hi-Point. Not sure why top quality firearm manufacturers do the same with knives. Some of the low quality knives being put out cheapens the brand name IMO

Back in the day Browning had knives made in the U.S., then Germany and Italy, then Japan. Like so many other brand names, they have gone the way of so many other names in terms of low cost production and country of origin.

hattoricollector.com/2015/09/28/browning-hattoris/

Beretta also had knives made in both Italy and Japan. Even Smith & Wesson had some beautiful knives made in Seki, although the exact contractor is unknown.

http://hattoricollector.com/2015/10/01/beretta-and-valor/

Absolutely true that in general, today it isn't worth even considering knives with firearms maker brand names.

Back in the day Browning had knives made in the U.S., then Germany and Italy, then Japan. Like so many other brand names, they have gone the way of so many other names in terms of low cost production and country of origin.

hattoricollector.com/2015/09/28/browning-hattoris/

Beretta also had knives made in both Italy and Japan. Even Smith & Wesson had some beautiful knives made in Seki, although the exact contractor is unknown.

http://hattoricollector.com/2015/10/01/beretta-and-valor/

Absolutely true that in general, today it isn't worth even considering knives with firearms maker brand names.

I always thought the Beretta Avenger and Avenger II knives were pretty awesome. Never got a chance to try them.

Avenger II
DSCN0637.jpg

That lockup looks pretty scarey though. Not alot of room to travel. On Warren Thomas’s custom knives the steel is an L shaped when viewed from this angle with the bottom of the L making a wider lockface.
tu61xxr.jpg

Strangely I have never even seen a picture of the Beretta Avenger I. I am curious as to what it looks like.

Sorry, might not have been clear. For the "wave" feature to work, the blade is tip up, spine facing the inside/groin side of the pocket (i'm sure you know this part). I put my hand in my pocket, and because the detent was not good or whatever, the blade was half open in my pocket and I got cut. It was not an error in it doing what was intended (the draw), it was a problem with it doing something unintended (just coming partially open in my pocket.

I'll stick to normal tip up/tip down blade towards the hip from now on.

Where is the "Wave" feature on the knife? I don't see a Wave, is the 'flipper' supposed to act as a 'Wave'?
If in was "opening" by accident in your pocket, it most likely was due to the 'flipper' coming in contact with something which pushes the blade out.
If the 'flipper' was meant by them to also act as a 'wave'... it is not the optimal wave design as it's too big and too straight up.
This is the optimal wave design/size/shape:

2_zps07c52efb.jpg

Last edited:
Back