Browning black label?

They do make some high end Browning Black Label knives. I have one of their lower end models and it seemed decent for the price. One day I reached my hand into my pocket and when I pulled it out the knife came out too due to the flimsy pocket clip and hit the floor. The frame screws stripped from the impact and the knife is ruined.

Re: Browning black label, they are inexpensive budget knives.
A knife that is correctly kept sharpened to a very keen edge will get the job done no matter if being applied to cardboard, rope or flesh.
Personally I'd never buy a Browning black label knife, the only reason I have that Browning black label Hawk is Amazon wound up giving it to me for free... I would not depend on it getting me through a steel door in the event of a fire, whereas the RMJ 'Jenny Wren' shown next to it I can depend on 100%.
Never go by how a knife looks or is marketed as.... the Browning black label Hawk name/model is called/marketed as the "Shock n' Awe" LoL.
I do think it would be functional and fun at the campsite.

'WeAllJuggleKnives' did several reviews of it, this is one:

Last edited:
Where is the "Wave" feature on the knife? I don't see a Wave, is the 'flipper' supposed to act as a 'Wave'?
If in was "opening" by accident in your pocket, it most likely was due to the 'flipper' coming in contact with something which pushes the blade out.
If the 'flipper' was meant by them to also act as a 'wave'... it is not the optimal wave design as it's too big and too straight up.
This is the optimal wave design/size/shape:
I used the term "wave" because someone else did, although obviously the knife is not an Emerson.

The opening action is generated by the long thumb studs catching on the inside top of the pocket, where the material is folded over and hemmed. I think you can see a video on KnifeCenter. You are supposed to be able to draw using the ring and the studs catch and the knife starts opening in the pocket and you kinda finish with a sharp tug.

I think it just came open because it's a budget knife. No shot at them, just not for me.

I would add the HK Axis to the list of gun brand knives that are good. Possibly the upcoming Hogue ones too

Personally I don't carry anything that requires extra steps/techniques/moving parts that must engage correctly with the edge of a pocket to deploy rapidly.
I have followed the "KISS Principle" for many years.

Browning, like many "name brands" found associated with knives that are NOT actually making their own knives, sells off the rights to their brand name to different knife manufacturers to make a series of knives on their behalf.

That said, "Browning" knives are typical budget China made mass production knives.
Browning "black label" is their "higher end" lineup of knives.
Some are still made in china, but with higher end materials, others are made in Taiwan, Japan, and even America depending on the model...

I've had mixed experiences with them, both Browning and Black label.
I've gifted quite a few Browning Prisms over the years, a decent budget knife, doesn't hold an edge well (440a), but takes a very sharp one with ease, and their black label line have been overall better quality through and through, (though not 100% qc). Some models have been great, others still left plenty to be desired.

Can't speak on the model in the op, but just food for thought.

Another exception;
Colt x-1 tomahawk, made in El Salvador from 1055 and toughest $20 sharp tool I’ve ever had!
H&K is in there as well. Barrett has that branded collab with Emerson. Old Winchester slipjoints are good too.

HK knives are really good. Everything made with Benchmade is very high quality, aside from the occasional QC lemon. The new HK knives are being made by Hogue but haven't been released, but I have no reason do doubt that Hogue will only put out good quality knives.

Back