Bruce Bingenheimer Memorial Photo Thread

Lorien

Nose to the Grindstone
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Please feel free to post any photos of Bing and/or his work in this thread.

VjwP31L.jpg

opjtjMa.jpg

wYbZCS0.jpg

j9gCAx0.jpg

dnkcSwW.jpg

bQVGZxV.jpg

4U1yklY.jpg

I got a call from Bing telling me I'd come up on his list and he asked what I wanted, and then we shot the breeze for another hour....:)

We've kinda had a theme going with more subdued knives in W2 with a hamon. I've got an Icarus in this style so it was going to be either an Ares or a Roundhouse. I told him, since he'd have it done in a week, that I really couldn't swing it but he just laughed and told me to send a check when I could....I sent a check on Wednesday. :(

I was blessed with Bing's friendship early on and have a number of his Damascus folders, some of his first....a departure was coming after Blade, a Vest Pocket Fighter, my first Bingenheimer Fixed Blade....it'll come on the other side.

With Bing's Perfection and Lorien's superb Design, a folder to be forever cherished....
standard.jpg

large.jpg

medium800.jpg

standard.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Lorien: What a great thread. TY.

Dudley: What a poignant experience. OMG. I'll bet that's the LAST folder which would ever, never leave your hands. Love the kind note.

True: He was the VERY first to find me at Arkansas two weeks ago. His is the first of 50+ names on my worksheet list. Dropped off this folder and then he was SO consumed by conversations and friends throughout, he left. I could not recall if he paid me cash or did I miss something? I'm busy too. So I sent him a polite note asking if my memory was cracked or what did I miss. He simply said "Nope. I screwed up and forgot, too. I'll send you a check ASAP." Truer than true, I got my check last week. (in 16 years of knife photography and tens of thousands of $$ transactions, I have never had a client who didn't pay. This is our community.)

orig.jpg

I'll add a few others in later.

I'm proud to say that I had the opportunity to meet and spend a bit of time with Bing recently. Bing was always so easy to talk with and even easier to work with. When I proposed an idea for my most recent flipper, Bing absolutely jumped on the idea. After several attempts (at something he had never done before) he produced this stunning piece of work. I'll always cherish my interactions with Bing. He set the bar for how other makers should interact with their customers. I sure will miss this guy :(

Attachments

• IMG_2691.JPG
    IMG_2691.JPG
    448.7 KB · Views: 60
He surely crafted some beautiful knives and it sounds like he was a beautiful craftsman.
His legacy will live on in his work and your memories. That's his gift and his reward.

Looking in from the outside -
Ray

I had an exchange with him on FB, I told him that I liked his job, he was happy that we think about him some part in the world, I think him at this moment I do not know if you do that, but if some flowers or an offering of all those who love him is possible, I will be honored to participate ...

thank you all so much for posting your photos and remembrances. I wish I had more photos I could post, but this is all I have.

I'd love to see more photos of his work...

Here's a knife that Bing made for me. This was his Chiron model, with s35vn steel, zirconium bolsters, and amber stag. A beautiful knife, and I'm honoured to own it.

RIP Bing

Back