Bruce Bingenheimer Memorial Photo Thread

I'm designing a new folder in honour of our friend, maybe I'll make it myself

Last edited:
Unlike most of you here, with immense knowledge and experience, I only came across Bruce’s work in Feb through a picture some one posted online.

His books were majorly closed but I thought just reach out, who knows?

His replies were always friendly and helpful, not one of those “I have a two year waitlist so shove off” type of maker.

He went so far as to explain he would be attending the Arkansas knife show and that should be return with any knives, he would contact me. Needlessly to say, everything sold.

It wasn’t actually if or not he would take an order (he did specify he would be able to make something in Sept) but the way he took the time to explain to me his prices, and how he would choose and sand his mammoth, what type of Damascus he intended to use etc.

I’m not even like most of you guys, established, knowledgeable. But he was gentlemanly enough to even thank me for reaching out. Some makers won’t even give you time of day.

I would be lying if I said I wasn’t the least bit sad about being able to commission a knife from Bruce. That being said, I was more saddened that a person (maker or not) whom I had the privilege of having a very pleasant ongoing conversation with, just passed.

My contact with Bruce was limited to just a few weeks, but I somehow I think I won’t delete that chat for a long long time.

I apologize, I realize this is a photo thread but I don’t have any. Just wanted to share an experience if that’s ok.

thanks for sharing that. I enjoyed reading about your experience with Bing, as it reminded me of all the long talks we had regarding knives and other things.

Bing would suggest you do it. He appreciated quality tools and an organized shop

Very sad to learn that this nice gentleman had passed.
Bought this beauty from him at Blade 2016.
dYpDUt40xJDvcziK_RefYx0JsKSSJXyp5N68Z6RPIhTi0o1V4vcPtsDaGWrFF-csnFrrrTt67V9Y6t2QOMq80sTRci98HRAL8yyUQgo0tgYgRchU7BJUIKLBG61fDhSl9pJ9BPVOOei24k1dEcF9x_91Eaxh1t-GSJo4v4ynRgJgMiBX-PNhhbigto_ROa8Ki2EfPeN_MIftn-h8J4G5FqPAS7Tn6ye2sUmmrsQvvtNweLDLRsGjR6tQ1QbGHgt4o-g7E_o-hzDzVVcSIBrkQbN_bjTZnqJ1sxgOu_CQ7kq0AM_VRsdZA9TjrNtGVvvZrpAOFsBkrrtSS7mQ09a1rTKnP0t1V640ONk6wkxjv-MIshqaDNCXphdc-k0AsLiDoBUxBLO3pZcFvDv02HSgNpBmjtMQyCaJCJgcA6hgSlyleuKD80RFeqNwILb6Tn6lUpdeK5ipnJn3THU1GqDIiRC_lIv-6jfx9vAak7i8UvBz4e0xLRPqGzTeIlh19TPmhTR4gPEP_lQRYK5d_OSOzLPMx2_83PW9HBd2uG4qvgnekrr7LuI-9vzQqkzYkC0ENEldvQICBa-lp0aQFGzS2hrH3JOrw9L-XMiw6eF2hxb7qTxDocsmYbeRYTEH0V53Y4Y9DE5jPrMipFheJ2eLf-paSSwP92UveA=w1443-h959-no

WuFu0GaCE_V6FXd7RDsmgNb73W9-XbLQKuA6lIi6w34geDV1qvuzGCtWiAYshEHuuyfu5uz33aqNuWPJyYPr73ZrY7_x0ddCLVJpwgaWySM7Oukb-eOsotNoiyrnccLICjrydK8jvaQBxsI8CnlapydjOsW-fOI-eAOqesw6fz2S9K07Cz1Nbc-PIxNNxX9FiP5vzhp2KWdXN5ec0oRQVxWcX4diuW4zM73zzqIs5fuqlHODvrOvS001VKLleHXfwd9VyZlRW8P0hBpigFif8kA6v5sTfzTFvOk4HqpW9q2QM86XZn-ZXmEp1Rb69-TWcHU5uKAhA7FEseVnJNLlzoU87CrlOhcTf-hXCgP42PGaI4Hjez-1K43H6Ln-xjDpp0Fv8xCelOvs3YxKnwNRA877PnVkY6ijxXtg_lH9EgA_j-4aghap2gWHR8aIlz4hbKHZAjksLKeAQKWQN05ef37Va-fWT-Pp_aXfWA4N9PeBaPUEwFuKX9wgqHOvcUYmtjdQnbU2GuLsRkMHfF7osgUkvttNP6xWpCvxeDueCzbOUuQd9u31fLLA8a_abVVx58lAscwnrczuApGtjNFYIm6Hi0ToRthlhOrfNVUhiGXh5NiIK58p1HTd9dAMQ9jNmzec6aATViGODUMkfSDaRBloL6bm1xinCQ=w1443-h959-no

He is very much missed. I talked with Ed Caffrey a week or so ago and asked if there would be a memorial on Bings table this year at Blade. He said he was told yes by the Blade show organizers but, sounded like he wasn't completely confident in that answer. Can anyone confirm that this will happen??

Bob

He is very much missed. I talked with Ed Caffrey a week or so ago and asked if there would be a memorial on Bings table this year at Blade. He said he was told yes by the Blade show organizers but, sounded like he wasn't completely confident in that answer. Can anyone confirm that this will happen??

Bob

The exhibitor's listing from Blade Show shows a "Bruce "Bing" Bingenheimer Memorial" at table 13 O

The 2019 Boker catalog arrived today.

This was an experience that I was so excited to share with Bing, over the phone. I miss talking to him, I always felt encouraged, inspired and generally better after we talked.

I was thinking back on conversations we had about his desire and plan to go full time- giving up a solid and lengthy career. All things being equal, he took his destiny in his hands, made confident strides in the direction that he wanted to go, and was super brave. I have so much admiration for him.

YF9Mvg5.jpg

xUBAQTv.jpg

In the conversation I have with Bing in my mind, I remark on how cool it is that our project release coincides with Boker's 150 anniversary. He laughs, and then we move on to discussing the project we were working on for our next submission- a pattern I dubbed the 'Mensch'. I regret not telling him I named it for him.

^wow! I never saw that particular Bingalor, thanks for posting it

Bing left us on March 9, 2018, and the memory of the phone call from Mike that day is still so vivid. Yet a year ago feels in some ways to have taken much longer to pass. It's hard to get a handle on the passage of time these days, and markers left by losses such as this add to the bewilderment.

I was thinking of Bruce this morning and thought I would google to check out his latest work. I was sad to see that he had passed on to his glory home to be with Our Lord. I never had the opportunity to personally meet Bruce. I came to know Bruce by email. In fall of 2016, my husband and I were hunting near Mountain city. Located in our home state Nevada. We were driving down a muddy road and found this beautiful knife in it’s leather sheath. The knife had been out in the weather for quite some time. I googled the knife maker and was able to get Bruce’s email. I was hoping he would had known who the owner of the knife was so we could return it. Bruce and I emailed back and fourth talking about this particular knife. I knew by the emails that I received from this gentleman ...that he was a God’s man. I could tell Bruce was a blessed and caring man. And he made some of the most beautiful knife’s. To this day, I still have the knife Bruce made that my husband and I found. I will cherish it! Thank you Bruce for the beautiful work you have left behind for all of us to cherish and admirer. And prayers to your wife and family.

I was thinking of Bruce this morning and thought I would google to check out his latest work. I was sad to see that he had passed on to his glory home to be with Our Lord. I never had the opportunity to personally meet Bruce. I came to know Bruce by email. In fall of 2016, my husband and I were hunting near Mountain city. Located in our home state Nevada. We were driving down a muddy road and found this beautiful knife in it’s leather sheath. The knife had been out in the weather for quite some time. I googled the knife maker and was able to get Bruce’s email. I was hoping he would had known who the owner of the knife was so we could return it. Bruce and I emailed back and fourth talking about this particular knife. I knew by the emails that I received from this gentleman ...that he was a God’s man. I could tell Bruce was a blessed and caring man. And he made some of the most beautiful knife’s. To this day, I still have the knife Bruce made that my husband and I found. I will cherish it! Thank you Bruce for the beautiful work you have left behind for all of us to cherish and admirer. And prayers to your wife and family.

That is a very cool story. I'm sure Bing enjoyed hearing of your find and visiting with you after that. Do you have any pics of the knife?

Back