Brush Demon Hossom Outdoor Edge?!?!

yay or nay?

OEBD10Cn.jpg

The Brush Demon was designed as the ultimate outdoor/survival tool by custom knife maker and big blade expert, Jerry Hossom. This rugged, high-speed chopper is constructed of tough 65Mn carbon steel and protected with a durable black powder coat finish. The rubberized ergonomic TPR handle ensures an extreme, non-slip grip for extreme conditions. The Brush Demon includes a quality nylon scabbard with multiple grommets for tying to a pack or strapping to the leg. The quick-release belt loop can be modified for both low-ride and high-ride carry options. Total weight is less than 23 ounces with sheath included.

Jerry Hossom, is a full-time custom knife maker based in Duluth, Georgia. Jerry specializes in hand crafting highly functional and precisely balanced fixed blade knives used by military, law enforcement, martial artists and knife aficionados.
Specifications
Blade Length: 13.5" (34.3 cm)
Overall Length: 20.0" (50.8 cm)
Blade Steel: 65 Mn Carbon Steel
Coating: Black Powder Coat
Handle Material: Non-slip Rubberized TPR
Sheath Material: Nylon with Grommet Attachments
Weight: 17 oz. (488 g) Knife Only, 22.4 oz (635 g) with Sheath
Made in China

Quite surprised by this one. I vividly recall Jerry saying on another forum, in response to the “what would you take on a desert island type question”, a SAK and an Ontario machete. Despite some nods to his design theme I would have bet that he didn't actually design this, more like just stuck his name to it. Glad I didn't have money riding on that.

I think it sucks. It looks like a lot has been sacrificed in order to make it good at defensive plunging. And although it is a minor thing, 'cos it could easily be removed, the font looks like it was done to harvest kiddies with a zombie killing fetish.

Although the handle portion isn't to my taste I expect it would work fine on a utility sized knife. On this though it doesn't look like it would afford a range of grips I prefer. Worse, although some birds beak or other bulbous pommel ends can work well that looks like a killer on the little finger.

The thumb ramp is just misplaced. It belongs on some goofy harpoon tipped thing ideally. I know that kind of a ramp isn't always a problem but here it looks like it was added for no other reason than as a marketing catch.

What's with the hard dogleg spine. It looks like someone was making a knife that terminated at that junction originally. Then in a moment of brain-fart it was decided to add another length out the front to make some bitch hybrid thing. Given some of the stuff I know that he has made I wouldn't be surprised that in the future a sense of shame or embarrassment crept over him. If it was in your CV you'd ablate it, wouldn't you?

The tip section looks of very little use other than as a weapon. I'm sure some bright spark might excuse it on the grounds that it can bore holes. I'm not in the habit of boring holes so we can safely file that as a gimmick along with silly sharp spines that dig into your hand, just in case your life depended on being able to strike sparks off it. To my mind the entire blade needs to be shifted so it angles to offer a low delivery relative to the handle. And by doing that the entire spine of the blade could be once long unmolested arc. And sort that silly point out.

I'm just not ninja enough for this one. A Martindale #2 weighs this, and I wouldn't trade one of them for a skip full of these.

Well, I did design it and I'm truly not sure how you can possibly judge a blade without trying it for its intended use(s). But hey, enjoy your Martindales. :)

I don't find it at all difficult. In fact, I use an identical kind of ability to always select the correct shape of hammer.

For sure I hope you are lucky with them. I enjoyed tracking you progression up to the release to the Spyderco stuff very much. I am just very surprised at this offering.

A question if I may. Do you recall saying what I wrote about your comments on preferring a SAK and an Ontario machete over on Knife Forums? If so, how do you reconcile the difference between something as obviously purpose driven as the Ontario machete, and all other big stabby knives available at the time you said it, only to later release this? Would you now prefer the Ontario machete shape over this one for machete type tasks? If not, in your opinion what advantages do you think this shape offers to a non-combatant?

:)

I don't find it at all difficult. In fact, I use an identical kind of ability to always select the correct shape of hammer.

For sure I hope you are lucky with them. I enjoyed tracking you progression up to the release to the Spyderco stuff very much. I am just very surprised at this offering.

A question if I may. Do you recall saying what I wrote about your comments on preferring a SAK and an Ontario machete over on Knife Forums? If so, how do you reconcile the difference between something as obviously purpose driven as the Ontario machete, and all other big stabby knives available at the time you said it, only to later release this? Would you now prefer the Ontario machete shape over this one for machete type tasks? If not, in your opinion what advantages do you think this shape offers to a non-combatant?

:)

I remember saying that very clearly, BUT in today's world there is a new dimension to survival that must also be addressed. You've responded to this blade assuming it won't chop and cut efficiently because it has a point. In fact it cuts and chops very efficiently and at 13" is much handier than an 18" Ontario for a host of general purposes. That it has a point simply deals with another need and interest that you perhaps don't share or recognize.

I remember saying that very clearly, BUT in today's world there is a new dimension to survival that must also be addressed. You've responded to this blade assuming it won't chop and cut efficiently because it has a point. In fact it cuts and chops very efficiently and at 13" is much handier than an 18" Ontario for a host of general purposes. That it has a point simply deals with another need and interest that you perhaps don't share or recognize.

Could you elaborate on what that new dimension to survival means? That sounds rather like circumlocution for “today's survival requires stabbing”. Is that what you mean?

OK, I'll try from a different angle than the Ontario machete. Do you think it would be reasonable to anticipate a golok or parang profile, offerend in an equivalent length to the what you have here, would be a vastly superior chopping shape, because of what we know about mass and physics [supposing equivalent thickness and so on]?

Further, why do you suppose agricultural tools, that are the closest you will find to true primitive survival tools, don't tend to look like this? Is that because this is pricicpally designed to be a weapon?

And those would be vastly superior how? Do you know anything about the handle, blade, edge geometry of this knife, and how they work together?

I think you're responding emotionally to this tool. And yes, it has a point too...

And those would be vastly superior how? Do you know anything about the handle, blade, edge geometry of this knife, and how they work together?

I think you're responding emotionally to this tool. And yes, it has a point too...

It is clear you are unwilling to grasp the nettle. I'm not going to push it any further because my questions were very clear and it is obvious why you are trying to evade them. You're trying to make a profit and I enjoy straight answers. There is a clear mismatch, and emotion is not a factor.

Toodle pip.

Let me suggest something. Superimpose your golok or parang profile over this blade and tell me how much cutting is done by the area that is occupied by the point on this knife. What does the spine shape have to do with function? What makes you think the handle would abrade your pinky? Have you held it to know? Most of the assumptions and opinions in your opening post are uninformed nonsense, based on nothing but having seen a photo of a blade you've never touch, used or know anything about.

The Brush Demon looks like it could be used as a knife. I have seen far worse "survival" knives. Here is an example:

Stabbing can be useful sometimes. I don't see why the concept should be avoided.

I have one of the Spydie Foragers. The handle design does tend to put a lot of stress on my pinkie when chopping. The Brush demon handle looks similar. Sometimes the unseen details make all the difference, though.

Unfortunate that some feel the need to be rude with their comments. Mr. Hossom is a MASTER craftsman, and I am confident that this design will work exactly as he intended. If it's not for you..., simply say so, and move along. The Outdoor Edge products that I have tried have all been excellent.

10 years ago or so, I followed Mr. Hossom's work, read many reviews and asked lots of questions. He impressed me quite a bit and I'm convinced that the man knows what he is doing.

The first thing I thought of when I saw the picture was "It's a Khukri/Hossom Hybrid machete, interesting!". I can see this used as a Brush blade, a draw knife, a defensive tool and any other outdoor tasks that someone would need a blade of this size for. Yes, it does have a bit of that Fantasy knife look to it, but most of Mr. Hossom's knives do and they flat out work. I for one think it's kind of cool.

Mr. Hossom, how thick is the blade stock?

The steel is 0.160".

Allow me to observe that most working machetes, Ontario and Martindale included, have a hook at the rear against which your pinkie rests and pivots when chopping. This is also a handle design I've used on more than half of the knives I've made in the past 20 years and most have found it comfortable and secure, including those who have used them in real world situations. I'll add that I spent most of my Army years in the jungle hauling and using a machete and have some familiarity with the tool and its use. This design, which is based on my Combat Kopis, does indeed have a defensive capability that is meaningful and can be used against man or beast as needed. I make no apology for that, and based on the fact that many in the military have chosen to carry my Kopis for both its utilitarian and defensive capabilities, and with excellent feedback, I'm comfortable with the design. In fact, I'm pleased that others in the military can now have access to it at the nominal price of ~$50 compared with $1000 for my custom version.

I've also been pleased with how well Outdoor Edge has executed the design, and more than any other knife company I've worked with they have consulted with me on virtually every detail of its construction. This is the first of several of my designs they will be introducing over the coming years in what they are calling their Survival Series, and I'm happy to be part of that effort. They are not a company focussed on attracting the mall ninja crowd as many are. As Wicked Sharp observed they are a company that makes utilitarian knives, mostly for hunting, and have an excellent reputation for good quality at a reasonable price, and all their knives come with a lifetime warranty.

http://www.outdooredge.com/

the blade shape does not 'speak' to me at all. Probably a well made blade, but it's not for me.

The handle design might be something that takes practice to get used to. Thanks for the comment.

In part it's a matter of getting used to it. In this case the inside of handle is more flat in that area than it was on the Spyderco knives, so it's a bit more gentle on the pinkie. The benefit of the pinkie drop at the rear is that you really don't expend much energy holding onto the knife and don't need to grip the handle as tightly as you would without something to keep your hand from sliding rearward. That's why you see that projection on most working machetes, those used by people who spend entire days swinging one of them. There is also some technique involved in using any machete or chopping blade, using more wrist snap and less arm swing is a big help, both in reducing fatigue and improving chopping efficiency. Light blades depend on speed for cutting force, whereas heavier blades depend on their mass. This is a light, fast blade.

Edited to add: It's not entirely about design, but also execution, and that's where I've found working with Outdoor Edge to be especially helpful in ensuring that what I intended in a design is actually what ends up in the box. Important subtleties are often lost otherwise.

Back