Brush Demon Hossom Outdoor Edge?!?!

Does the passaround need to start in the pass section of can we start here ? I live in Columbus GA and can start if you guys want
Good question, I don't know. I would think it could start here.
Wherever it starts, I would like to be in on it.

I just got mine today and thought I'd chime in with a couple of comments. First, the fit and finish is very well done. The edge grinds are consistent, the spine is nice and square the full length of the blade, the blade finish is even, and there are no gaps or irregularities around the handle - the fit is perfect, and it comes nice and sharp. I like the two large torx screws securing the handle to the tang. There should be no concerns about that connection loosening, and the torx screws are set deep enough that you don't feel them when you are holding the knife. The finish on the handle provides good traction, but isn't so grippy that it can't move in the hand. Surprisingly enough, there were no ridges or flaws on the handle that needed to be sanded down, unlike on some of the other large knives/choppers I have purchased. I initially thought the handle felt a bit small, but I changed my mind almost immediately. It is a good size for me without being too large, the swells help it feel comfortable, and the hook (for lack of a better term) on the bottom ensures that the knife isn't going to slip out of your hand. The balance is superb and the knife feels light and quick in the hand - very much like an extension of one's hand and arm.

I did not do any cutting with it because the stitches on my cutting hand (courtesy of a runaway golok) are still a little tender, but from handling it a little bit and from looking at the blade geometry I am confident that it will do an excellent job at its intended task.

The sheath is well designed and very well executed.

Again, this is just my initial impression, but I think it is an excellent package that is much more impressive out of the box than some big blades that cost significantly more.

Update: I spent a few minutes outside cutting a range of small stuff: roses, lilacs, butterfly bush, pine, spruce, crepe myrtle, apple tree limbs, pear tree limbs. I kept the diameter small - nothing over an inch and mostly smaller than that since this is designed for brush. I was just using quick snap cuts. The knife handled everything easily and the handle provided a very comfortable and secure grip.

Last edited:
Popedandy, thanks for that feedback. We've heard good things from the field, but I'm glad folks here could hear them directly. Your initial impressions touched on some of the many details we wrestled with as this moved into and through manufacturing, especially with the handle. Whenever a knife gets made, the maker matters least. :)

He's just trying to stir up trouble with the koolaid drinkers. Anyone who thinks those blades are the same doesn't understand knives very well. As for the handle, I've been making that one since the '90's.

"I couldn't help but to put both together for a comparison..." Really? :)

You could put a picture of dozens of knives that they both kinda sorta look like. What exactly was that comparison supposed to prove? Shall we show a 200 year old Kukri and go see guys look at that. Or go back around 2 thousands years and go look those damn Greeks stole from Busse and Hossom! Just silly.

He's just trying to stir up trouble with the koolaid drinkers. Anyone who thinks those blades are the same doesn't understand knives very well. As for the handle, I've been making that one since the '90's.

"I couldn't help but to put both together for a comparison..." Really? :)

Hey Jerry, take it from someone who actually used your design before criticizing it...I like it so far I have been using it to clear brush on a walking path and its worked out fantastic for that job and lives up to its "brush demon" name :)
Looks are not everything, at first glance it appears it can be a $10 chinese wall hanger, but I would expect real knife enthusiasts to give something a chance before throwing it under the bus...Im glad I did!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOKGTEwlcqE&feature=youtu.be

You could put a picture of dozens of knives that they both kinda sorta look like. What exactly was that comparison supposed to prove? Shall we show a 200 year old Kukri and go see guys look at that. Or go back around 2 thousands years and go look those damn Greeks stole from Busse and Hossom! Just silly.

I agree 100% most knives these days are similar to knives of old, its just extremely hard to keep producing new knives that don't look just like something that already exists...

It always helps when someone knows how to use a machete or similar tool, and I notice that you do which always makes a knife work best. We've had excellent feedback from folks using it for a number of tasks, but especially from hunters clearing shooting lanes. Outdoor Edge has a long history (26 years to be exact) of making affordable but serviceable knives and tools for hunters, so those were the earliest adopters of the Brush Demon and they like it. Thanks for the evaluation and the video. I'm sending the link to Outdoor Edge and I'm sure they'll appreciate your review as do I.

It always helps when someone knows how to use a machete or similar tool, and I notice that you do which always makes a knife work best. We've had excellent feedback from folks using it for a number of tasks, but especially from hunters clearing shooting lanes. Outdoor Edge has a long history (26 years to be exact) of making affordable but serviceable knives and tools for hunters, so those were the earliest adopters of the Brush Demon and they like it. Thanks for the evaluation and the video. I'm sending the link to Outdoor Edge and I'm sure they'll appreciate your review as do I.

Thanks Jerry, Im sure I will have a full review down the road on this one as well once I have extended usage...

I'd probably try one since they're not all that expensive.
Looks a bit on the gimmicky side but my tastes tend to be more plain jane
Handle looks like it wont go flying out of your hand
Weight is pretty decent, but I wonder where the balance point is
Length is a little more than what I'd like like for a machete/chopper for my neck of the woods

Steel is nothing to write home about since its the equivalent of 1065 it'll be adequate as long as they have a decent heat treat
As always, I worry about the sheath. A bad sheath can ruin a cheap knife. Last thing I need to do is spend 40+ on a decent sheath...

Let me make some observations, Mr Cow. It's only "gimmicky" if it doesn't work and there have been a number of reports in this thread including the video linked above asserting that it does work. The blade shape has a good bit of thought and personal experience designed into it, to place the greatest curvature in the edge at the sweet spot for maximum power and penetration on heavier woods, while working as any other machete on light brush and grasses. But each of us has a different take on what that means based on experience, skill set and expectations. The handle won't fly out of your hand unless you want it too, and it also won't eat your hand with excessive texturing, depending instead on sound ergonomic principles. The balance point is about 3" in front of the handle. Length is shorter than most "machetes" which are usually 18" or longer, but longer than some "choppers" you might have experience with, which are usually shorter, heavier and not much good on brush. The 65Mn steel is actually bit closer to 5160 than it is to 1065, and was chosen for its toughness and sharpenability. We've also been pleased with its edge retention which surprised us a little, but convex edges do tend to hold up better and this one is. Heat treat is decent. As for the sheath, it's about what you'd expect with a knife costing little more including sheath than the $40+ sheath you speak of. It's nylon with adjustable carry positions for a high or low ride as you prefer. If you want a more durable kydex sheath they are available from RDR Holsters though I don't know the price, probably $40+.

Now, I'll add that it's been my experience that when someone approaches a tool with an expectation of disappointment, they usually fulfill those expectations.

Let me say some things about this knife and its construction. I've been working with Outdoor Edge for about 2-1/2 years on this and other designs. It took over 18 months, dozens if not hundreds of emails, countless phone calls, and three meetings with a factory engineer from when I handed the prototype for this knife to Outdoor Edge before it finally came to market. With other collaborations I've had (Ontario, Spyderco, Boker and a couple others), I never spoke to the company on the subject of construction after I gave them the prototype, and they were on the market in about 6 months, off the market in 2 years. That's how most knife companies work, a batch of new designs each year to be replaced by more new designs the next year. The Outdoor Edge philosophy is that if it's a good knife, a useful knife, there is little reason for it to not remain so forever. If it can be improved it will be, otherwise it's a tool like any other tool and should serve and be useful for many years. Nearly a year before the Brush Demon was on the market prototypes were being tested by Outdoor Edge in Colorado. David Bloch, the president of Outdoor Edge, did most of the testing himself, and came up with a parameter I'd never heard used for a knife before. Accurate. Huh? Well, it's something I'd never contemplated and I'd dearly love to claim I designed that into the knife, but I didn't, at least not knowingly. "Accurate" is when you swing a blade, intending to hit a spot on your target, and the blade unerringly hits that spot, not a spot nearby. With small knives this usually isn't an issue, with long blades it is and I can't count the times I've swung an Ontario machete and had it miss my spot and often deflect off the target because the angle of attack was off. If you've used a machete for any length of time, especially on hardwoods, you know what I mean. It's likely the result of handle design, but I think we got lucky because the Brush Demon is amazingly accurate in its cuts, and the next large knife we will introduce already has that as a requirement. This only happens when the knife designer, bringing his experience to the table, is matched with a knife manufacturer, who is also a dedicated knife user, and they work on each and every nit picking detail of a knife to make it as good as it can be. In David's and my case it's been a bit like ADD meets OCD. I'm fine when it's just good, David isn't happy until it's as close to perfect as he can make it. I don't do "perfect", he doesn't do "good". Together we're a great team. We have designs planned out for the next 2-3 years, and most are already in or through field testing, all have had changes made from what I submitted, all have had dozens of emails, countless phone calls and meetings with the factory engineer. All are better than the prototypes I gave Outdoor Edge to start with. With the Brush Demon especially this has been a serious learning experience for me, because I thought I really knew machetes, having swung one in the jungle with the Army for most of two years, but I've learned more about them in the past couple years than I did in that misery called Panama and the US Army Jungle School. Next out will be the Harpoon, a somewhat smaller chopper called the Saberback Bowie, and a sweet little neck knife called Le Duck. More to follow next year. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming... :)

http://www.outdooredge.com/Survival-Series-s/34.htm

Let me make some observations, Mr Cow. It's only "gimmicky" if it doesn't work and there have been a number of reports in this thread including the video linked above asserting that it does work. The blade shape has a good bit of thought and personal experience designed into it, to place the greatest curvature in the edge at the sweet spot for maximum power and penetration on heavier woods, while working as any other machete on light brush and grasses. But each of us has a different take on what that means based on experience, skill set and expectations. The handle won't fly out of your hand unless you want it too, and it also won't eat your hand with excessive texturing, depending instead on sound ergonomic principles. The balance point is about 3" in front of the handle. Length is shorter than most "machetes" which are usually 18" or longer, but longer than some "choppers" you might have experience with, which are usually shorter, heavier and not much good on brush. The 65Mn steel is actually bit closer to 5160 than it is to 1065, and was chosen for its toughness and sharpenability. We've also been pleased with its edge retention which surprised us a little, but convex edges do tend to hold up better and this one is. Heat treat is decent. As for the sheath, it's about what you'd expect with a knife costing little more including sheath than the $40+ sheath you speak of. It's nylon with adjustable carry positions for a high or low ride as you prefer. If you want a more durable kydex sheath they are available from RDR Holsters though I don't know the price, probably $40+.

Now, I'll add that it's been my experience that when someone approaches a tool with an expectation of disappointment, they usually fulfill those expectations.

Let me say some things about this knife and its construction. I've been working with Outdoor Edge for about 2-1/2 years on this and other designs. It took over 18 months, dozens if not hundreds of emails, countless phone calls, and three meetings with a factory engineer from when I handed the prototype for this knife to Outdoor Edge before it finally came to market. With other collaborations I've had (Ontario, Spyderco, Boker and a couple others), I never spoke to the company on the subject of construction after I gave them the prototype, and they were on the market in about 6 months, off the market in 2 years. That's how most knife companies work, a batch of new designs each year to be replaced by more new designs the next year. The Outdoor Edge philosophy is that if it's a good knife, a useful knife, there is little reason for it to not remain so forever. If it can be improved it will be, otherwise it's a tool like any other tool and should serve and be useful for many years. Nearly a year before the Brush Demon was on the market prototypes were being tested by Outdoor Edge in Colorado. David Bloch, the president of Outdoor Edge, did most of the testing himself, and came up with a parameter I'd never heard used for a knife before. Accurate. Huh? Well, it's something I'd never contemplated and I'd dearly love to claim I designed that into the knife, but I didn't, at least not knowingly. "Accurate" is when you swing a blade, intending to hit a spot on your target, and the blade unerringly hits that spot, not a spot nearby. With small knives this usually isn't an issue, with long blades it is and I can't count the times I've swung an Ontario machete and had it miss my spot and often deflect off the target because the angle of attack was off. If you've used a machete for any length of time, especially on hardwoods, you know what I mean. It's likely the result of handle design, but I think we got lucky because the Brush Demon is amazingly accurate in its cuts, and the next large knife we will introduce already has that as a requirement. This only happens when the knife designer, bringing his experience to the table, is matched with a knife manufacturer, who is also a dedicated knife user, and they work on each and every nit picking detail of a knife to make it as good as it can be. In David's and my case it's been a bit like ADD meets OCD. I'm fine when it's just good, David isn't happy until it's as close to perfect as he can make it. I don't do "perfect", he doesn't do "good". Together we're a great team. We have designs planned out for the next 2-3 years, and most are already in or through field testing, all have had changes made from what I submitted, all have had dozens of emails, countless phone calls and meetings with the factory engineer. All are better than the prototypes I gave Outdoor Edge to start with. With the Brush Demon especially this has been a serious learning experience for me, because I thought I really knew machetes, having swung one in the jungle with the Army for most of two years, but I've learned more about them in the past couple years than I did in that misery called Panama and the US Army Jungle School. Next out will be the Harpoon, a somewhat smaller chopper called the Saberback Bowie, and a sweet little neck knife called Le Duck. More to follow next year. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming... :)

http://www.outdooredge.com/Survival-Series-s/34.htm

The accuracy aspect may have just convinced me to pick this up. I find machetes tremendously useful for yardwork but I'm not terribly skilled with them. Added control would be a very pleasant feature.

Mr. Hossom, it is a pleasure to be in the same thread as you are. I love your knives and designs. Really, really love them. i just wish I could afford an original of yours. Now:
I've been wondering about the Saberback Bowie. I'd like to know what information or extra input could we have from its very Maker? I mean, Mr. Hossom, now that I see you are online, I can't think of anyone better to talk me about these knife I've been drooling over since it was announced months ago.
How does it stack against similar size choppers, and how would it compliment its bigger brother the Brush Demon? What chopping, slicind and cutting capabilites should we expect from a knife like this? Is the saw effective, or it's just there for aesthetics?
Sorry about so many questions, but I really want to know about this knife and your collaboration projects with Outdoor Edge.
I am a big fan of yours.

Thanks a lot!!!

Thanks for the kind comments. Let me mention the saw first. It wasn't my idea, but I'm told it does work. That said, I'd personally rather chop through something with a good blade than saw through something with a mediocre saw. :)

OK, having gotten that off my chest, lets talk about the knife. It's about 3" shorter than the Brush Demon using the same handle. That means it's a somewhat less powerful chopper, but a more useful knife for general cutting tasks, capable of many camp chores the Brush Demon would be poorly suited for. The design is based on a model I make called the Massive Retribution which has seen a lot of use in a wide range of activities, many of them in the military. It's lighter than similar "choppers" depending more on blade speed than mass for chopping, but it's also a lot friendlier to carry than most heavy choppers which have limited utility for other purposes. For brush it's fine, for larger wood, >2-3", I'd prefer the Brush Demon or an axe. I don't think it compliments the Brush Demon, I'd prefer a smaller knife for that, but it's a useful compromise that I'd pair with a decent pocket knife, whereas for the Brush Demon I'd likely choose a smaller fixed blade in the 4-5" range to go with it. Hope that helps.

Mr. Hossom, Thanks again for participating in this thread. I think, FWIW, when people use the word "gimmicky", they are referring to some of the aesthetic aspects of the knife, right or wrong, we all have our preconceived notions:). Maybe it's just me, but usually that's what pops into my mind when I see sharp angles and protrusions. I haven't tried the knife, so cannot at all speak to the function of these aspects, but I normally prefer smoother transitions and less points. I did a quick photo shop, and a very poor one at that so please excuse my very limited skills, which show what I mean.

OEBD10Cn.jpg

Hossom%20BD_zpsbdj2uuaa.jpg

The knife below would really interest me. Hopefully, I didn't violate any copyright issues:) I rounded the protrusions and added more belly in both directions. I also rounded the forward, tip end. As it had almost a tanto shape and I really don't like that, at least in smaller knives, for outdoors use. I really like khukuri and prefer a larger belly area. If I tried your design, I might totally change my mind, I just don't like a small, pointed belly. That seems a common compliant with the Becker patrol Machete as well. Anyway, FWIW, the bottom is more what I would prefer. That's just MHO. Again, thanks for joining in.

Well, I'm not really sure how to reply to this, so I'll be brief. If you like a khukuri then you should own and use one, as you probably already do, but that's just not what this is. We've had considerable feedback in this thread about how the Brush Demon performs in its role as a brush tool, which is the principle role for which it was designed, and for that I'm both grateful and gratified. As for aesthetics, I'm probably as enthusiastic about yours as you appear to be about mine, so I guess we'll have to call that a toss-up. :)

Since some folks seem to have difficulty with the point, let me speak to that. Within most of the knives I've designed for Outdoor Edge there is a tactical component. It's called the Survival Series because that's how the tools are intended to be most useful, but within Our definition of "survival" is the need for self-defense. It's never the primary role of the tool, but it's there and available if called upon. Most of the custom knives I make are tactical knives, most never used and gathering dust, but many are in the hands of people who do use such knives and some have indeed been employed in that role. One of the favored knives of military personnel in Afghanistan is my Combat Kopis. Having a 12" blade, it serves several purposes. As a tool, it clears brush, builds hides and shelters, and is a general cutting implement. It is lethal, capable of dispatching body parts in a single pass. But most especially, it is intimidating and that is one of its most appreciated features among those who carry them. The best way to avoid a fight is to point a gun at someone. Failing that, point something that makes it clear you won't be messed with. That usually ends it and life goes on, but failing that you are armed with a weapon that is far more deadly than a khukuri in the hands of an average individual. (No, you're not a Ghurka so don't go there.) The Brush Demon is light, fast, and lethal, as lethal as my custom Combat Kopis for a whole lot less money. The point added about an inch in length and negligible weight to the blade, and clearly it didn't diminish the functionality as a brush tool, attested by the above feedback. It added a tactical modality that could prove useful against a direct assault, but mostly it added Attitude that might well avoid a difficult situation should one arise. If the point offends your sensibilities or might provoke derisive comments among your survivalist friends that you don't want to deal with, there are a lots of alternatives that are more conventional in nature. But you might want to first ask yourself, what if?

This is the Combat Kopis. ($900-$1000, less for deployed military)

CombatKopis.jpg

I guess that was a bit longer than "brief". Sorry, but I think it needed to be addressed.

Back