Brush Demon Hossom Outdoor Edge?!?!

Thanks for the response. It explained a lot. If it works, then it works and there's no issue there. I wasn't going to claim to be a Gurkha or ninja. I'm not interested in knife fighting. There is a Kopis or khukuri aspect to your design, that's why I mention khukuri. With your stated goal for the blade, I think it turned out very well.

Thanks. BTW,

Edited to add: I wasn't directing the "Ghurka" comment to you in particular, but to those who might believe the Khukuri is a more effective weapon in the hands of an average person. Sorry if you felt I did.

Last edited:
I like it. I cherish my spydie forester and one of these days might muster the courage to ACTUALLY use it :D this one I could use without guilt, lol. One question, what grind is on the demon? Is it hollow or flat? It just went to the top of my wishlist.

The above image is an illustration, this is a photo of the Brush Demon and its little brother the Saberback Bowie. Both are flat ground with convex edges.

CatalogDemon-Bowie.jpg

When is the Saberback being released? I love my Brush Demon and want to try out the smaller version.

The Bowie should be out this month, Bill, but you might want to wait a month or so, allowing the online sellers to become competitive so the price drops a bit. It should get down into the low to mid $40's.

nice to see this thread still going. Looks like my pictures were scrambled. Anyway good work on the blade Jerry

sold on the demon! love flat grinds. That bowie would be sooooo cool...without the serrations...

Mr. Hossom, Your explanation above answered any questions about the tip and handle plenty well. Aspects of both were designed for thrusting and penetration. I'm curious about the belly though. You mention in one post about the belly being concentrated at the sweet spot. Is that what led to the comparatively small (lengthwise) belly? Have you found it superior or is it that you've found it equivalent and that it flows better with the combat features (like, a bigger belly and tanto type tip would be problematic design wise)? To be clear, I don't want to appear antagonistic at all. I'm curious about the design. I watched the video and it appears to work well as a machete type blade, which I believe is much more useful than heavy dedicated choppers for general use, with the added features designed for fighting. I'm also curious why you feel it's so superior to the khukuri for fighting. Again, I've no dog in that fight as I'd be more likely to hurt myself in a knife fight:D, just curious about that. Thanks again.

PS. What happened to the pass around? I'd love to see some field comparisons to other blades. My go-to brush blade is a very old Cold Steel LTC khuk. It proved to me years ago how efficient a well designed, thin blade can be.

The handle was not designed for thrusting or penetration. It was designed for security in any use. The belly on the Brush Demon could have been wider but at a price. Adding width to the front moves the center of balance out and makes for a longer day when using it. The farther out you are on your cuts, the more power you deliver to the cut, and that's where the belly is. I suppose more belly could have been added further back as you've drawn, but again that still adds weight ahead of the center of balance (~3" in front of the handle) and more weight overall. As for it's tactical use compared with traditional khukris, it is lighter and faster, which is vitally important to someone not specifially trained to use a heavier weapon. Your Cold Steel Khukri uses 2mm steel to achieve the same weight in the same length as the Brush Demon which uses 4mm steel. In my judgement 2mm is too thin. Traditional machetes like the Ontario use 3mm steel for their standard machete, with 2mm only in their economy model. 2mm might be OK for weeds, but it would be a hard go against wood.

As for the pass around, my offer stands. Find several people who want to participate and I'll contribute the knife as well as volunteer to resharpen it during its travels. Someone will need to buy me a beer when it's over though... :)

The pronounced and almost hooked front and rear handle guards (not sure what they're called) had me thinking it was extra support during a rapid thrust or withdrawal.

I understand about the forward weight. I also prefer a more neutral and lighter weight blade for everything. I think it makes a more usable blade, and when combined with a thin or FFG blade, adds versatility as well.

The CS LTC is actually 3.2 mm and 17 oz. It's the original model and hasn't been made for years. It's Carbon V and handles the nastiest oak and mesquite with ease;) I looked up the specs on the Brush Demon and it's actually the same weight as my CS Gurkha khuk. The BD is also longer than any blade I have at 20".

I'm surprised that no one has signed on for a pass around with as many people as posted their interest. A dedicated pass around thread would probably garner enough interest though. I'm recovering from a really nasty shoulder surgery, but if nothing gets started up by next month, I may just start the thread. I've got a buddy nearby who has tons of blades and we could give it a good comparison test on brush and light chopping.

I own several Hosson designs. Everything from Ontario folders to Fox and Spyderco fixed blades.

They all work very well. They tend to look mean as hell which is just a side benefit.

I seem to recall that the Spyderco Forester won a chop off amid several other mainstream manufacturers several years ago. The entire design, (steel, geometry, weight, etc.) beat out all the others. Unfortunately the Spyderco Hossom series had just been discontinued when this test was published. I wish I could remember the source but I can't.

Mr Hossom doesn't just get drunk and scribble designs on a napkin every now and then. Like most, not all but most, successful knifesmiths, he does a lot of testing and design/redesigning on prototypes to see what works before the final products are released.

Like Bill Harsey told Cliff Stamp one time; "Hey Cliffy, if you think you can do better, then by all means design one yourself and prove the rest of us wrong!"

Nuff' said.

Ouch, that was painful watching. Thankfully, the other video used it in the manner and purpose intended and didn't just have a couple guys spending 15 minutes trying to think of bad things to say. Ah well, can't have everyone saying nice things... :)

Back