Brush Demon Hossom Outdoor Edge?!?!

Thanks for that, guys. It's very frustrating to see two guys sitting on a log, bashing a knife, when they've never used it for what it was intended to be used for, and seem at a loss for words to find what else to say that's negative. On the point of handles, mine have been highly regarded as long as I've made knives, often cited for their comfort in hard use applications, but I'll have to assume that Mr Fire or Mr Steel have soft hands because I've used this knife for some very heavy chopping while I was testing the prototype and I had no trouble at all. But then I'm 74 years old and their hands are probably softer than mine.

Well I finally got to take my Brush Demon to the woods for a little more chopping and cutting than the few swings I did in the shop. I'm really impressed! I love the huge sweet spot when chopping :) it made short work of some poles we drug into camp working them down the firewood size. I even tried making some fuzz sticks and it cut nice smooth curls as thick or thin as you'd want. The handle was very easy on my paw and was comfortable in every position I held it in. I slashed some light brush and it cut just fine. Great compromise between a pure chopper and a lightweight machete. Gonna grab one of the Saberbacks as soon as I can :) Great job Jerry and Outdoor Edge!

cut a lot of brush today with the demon.
worked excellent on everything from wisteria vine to maple saplings, dead dry, hard as a rock,
doug fir branches and just for fun a 8 inch green pumpkin...
I am going to round off the pommel so i can choke all the way back to a three finger grip and really get some snap in my snap cuts.
yes Jerry, i am a Keating trained guy ;-) (inside joke i hope you get, think many moons ago when you last had a table at the eugene oregon knife show)

That was Many years ago, Ted, and that show is where I met Jim. Maybe I should have added a Spanish Notch to the Demon so you can more easily identify with it. :)

Glad to hear the Demon worked well for you.

I have yet to hold or use a Hossom design that didn't blow me away completely in ergonomics and efficiency. Jerry is one of the finest makers in the business.

I have to say that the last thing that I need is another chopper but I believe the looks are bad ass - especially at that price point. I may as well get one and give it a try.

I'm going to have an Outdoor Edge Brush Demon in my hands in a couple days for review, courtesy of Jerry. What exactly would you like to see and know about it?

The Brush a Demon has landed, and it is a beautiful, graceful beast. First impressions soon.

For those who were looking forward to the Saberback Bowie, at least one dealer (knifecenter) has it in stock.

I'll be posting some first impressions this week. Jerry also sent me a Harpoon, which is an ingenious set up at first glance.

I will say that the fit and finish on both items is the best I have ever seen on production pieces, especially in this price range.

The balance and ergonomics on the brush demon are everything I've come to expect from Jerry's outstanding design sense. It's the perfect weight, thickness and balance that puts it right on that versatile line between big knife or little machete. It's shorter than an 18" or larger machete, so wearing it on the belt is comfortable. The recurve of the blade also can function in many ways - especially controlling the brush you might be removing. (In the South American rainforest, there is some vegetation you don't want to come in contact with).

I know some people see a Jerry Hossom piece like this and call it a "fantasy looking" blade, because there are so many junk blades made that appeal to some folks' inner Klingon. Put that aside - this is not even remotely like those, at all. This pattern is based on a blade long established in history; a pattern that has been adopted either exactly, or similarly, and successfully by many cultures throughout history.

And, I love the design of the tip and point. When I get it out in the Everglades, I'll show you several reasons why it will make the blade more useful than a standard machete. It's like an extra knife on top of the knife. :)

Got a little time at camp to try out the new Saberback :) I am pretty happy with it! Did a little cutting and sawing with it around the campsite clearing some brush and chopping up some tough old branches. Pretty sure the limbs were a yew variety as they were very tough and dense. No damage at all to the factory edge even though I made maybe 75ish cuts similar to the one shown. Most were one hits when I did my part :) As a light brush cutter, this is a lawn mower for sure! The scrub brush just fell away without much effort. The saw was used just a few times to notch and break sticks. It wont replace a dedicated saw but it cut well on dry and fresh samples. The yew in the pic was notched on both sides and snapped in under 30 seconds. I poked around some stumps and even did some light throws into stumps and no damage showed on the fine point. It pierced the gas canister easily :) The blade also handle making curls with ease! It was pretty simple to cut them as thick or think as I wanted. The handle is the same as the larger Brush Demon so I expected the same feel and it was excellent as expected. Oh and I did wait to buy as you suggested Jerry and got it for under $50 :D It's easily worth twice that!

Back