Brush Demon Hossom Outdoor Edge?!?!

To the naysayers who were criticizing based solely on pics, this thing slices so cleanly it almost scared me. I may never go back to a standard machete again. It's uncanny. I did clean the blade after use so it looked nice for the photos again. More soon.

What would you like to know about it?

The handle is the same as that on the Brush Demon. Same steel and edge, just different blade geometry.

Last edited:
Same 1/8" thick?
How is the saw cut?
How long is the saw? 6"?
Where does it balance?
This looks like a blade I could put to work.
Thank you.

Both the Brush Demon and the Saberback Bowie are 5/32" thick, which is the same thickness I use for most of my custom knives.

The saw? Well it works as well or better than any saw back on a knife. The teeth are cut in a pattern to maximize its cut, but at 4" long I'd probably use the blade to chop through most of what the saw could saw through.

The balance point is just in front of the thumb ramp. It's a handy knife for one with a 10" blade and whether you choose it or the Brush Demon probably depends on how much brush and limbs you plan to chop in a day. The Bowie makes a pretty good camp knives, paired with a folder for the little stuff. It would be a great knife to have behind the seat in a pickup for whatever comes along, and it rides easier on the belt than does the Brush Demon, simply because it's smaller. And like the Demon it has a very serviceable convex edge that I've been pleased with. It holds up well, is durable, and the 65Mn steel at Rc54/55 is easy to sharpen with most any sharpening device.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, 5/32" is great. I thought they were 1/8".
I think the saberback is the one for me. It should work well for most of what I want.

anybody got the saberback yet? Seriously considering getting both very soon.

I got a Le Duck this week will do a write up after some use. After a few days got to say it is a pretty darn nice blade for $20.

Sorry for the necro, but felt like I had too. As so often happens in this hobby of ours, it's pretty much "look...squirrel!!!", and you forget about stuff, only to re-discover it later. I completely forgot about this blade until I saw it again a couple of weeks ago, and I got one. First thing I did was go hack stuff with it. I was pleasantly surprised, the best way I can describe the brush demon is that it feels natural. I grew up swinging machetes, and it feels like a beefy machete without the added weight of so many choppers out there. The kukri-esque downward angle makes chopping with the sweet spot an effortless action. I thought the bird beak pommel would be a problem, but no, it just snugs against the hand, while the contoured handle remains neutral, not too thick but not too thin, just right. Light, yet strong, mine was used against thick vines on cyclone fence, hacking at roots and saplings, and after I ran out of things to hack, the edge only needed a light touch up with a diamond rod, even after hitting the fence and rocks on the ground. This one might kick out my condor boomslang as my truck companion, or they might live together in harmony. Thanks for a very well designed blade, Mr. Hossom.

A little late the party however I did see this at fleet farm and scooped it up about a year ago. Let me tell you. I love it. It’s a beast. Has a great swing feel to it. I’ve cut down small trees split wood, just plain beat the hell out of it. Solid performer my favorite small machete/big chopper(?) at that price. And especially for the price. I don’t feel that guilty at beating the hell out of it knowing it was only around 50 bucks. Enough in price where you expect reliability but also not to expensive to where your questioning why your beating the hell out of 150 chopper or machete. But then again I beat on all my stuff. Why not? I can’t helo it. I bring my esee 6 or arvensis and look for things to cut stab and split with them. It’s second to my Ontario chopper. They’re about the same price but this feels lighter and harder swinging. 10 outa 10 would recommend.

Jerry a question for you if your reading this... is it full tang all the way through to pommel? I just got a really nice new back pack and I wanted to saw off the ferry last .75 inches of it just enough to fit in there. It’s already beaten and no longer pretty so might as well.

For the re rod I usually go with a hatchet a saw and small knife or I’ll go with a machete/chopper and medium knife when I go adventuring.

Back