Brut de Forge?

Norbert, that Branson piece gets me everytime. It is a prime example of how when done well it can stir emotion. It brings a big silly grin to my face.

Just like using great fossil ivory or nice Damascus, it is a design feature that improperly done decreases the effect of the knife. It has to be a design that incorperates and "works".

Chris

Last edited:
It's the rough and ready, handmade look that appeals to me. Occasionally I even try. Its not very easy to get it to look right especially when I haven't mastered the use of the hammer. This is my best attempt so far:

A feature or finish alone does not, for me, determine whether I will like a knife or not.
Design is king.
A well designed knife always looks and feels amazing, regardless of its embellishments or finish. The opposite is also true.

I enjoy them, if done well as Karl states, because of the skills necessary to forge such a blade and have it really stand out with the integral guard and such.

I have one of Karl's and he done good! :D

standard.jpg

Whenever someone mentions the term "brut de forge", it is this design with the attendant features that comes to mind, and I don't care for this design, nor do I care for it when the vast variety of makers have these elements, ESPECIALLY Don Fogg, but for some reason when Raymond Richard, Murray Carter or David Mirabile do satin grinds with forged flats I sort of like it.

Go figure.

If it was a high dollar knife, I would most likely pass, and have in the past.

When it is a user design, and I plan to use it, am more likely to be accepting of this style.

Hope this makes some degree of sense.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

I didn't know there was a fancy name for it, but I too like it when it is well executed. I like that it shoes the knife was forged not stock removal made. (not that I mind stock removed, but if I were to pay for the work of a forged knife I wouldn't mind it showing off that work).

Red

I agree. I love the way Stuart Branson and Lon Humphreys do theirs up. I've always been a fan.. ever since I saw my first genuine medieval forged weapon. I've been hooked ever since. I love when things don't look so sterile or assembly line pretty.

I love the raw elemental ancient look pieces like this give you

Timeless

d8464086c6614c30afc2554336953a0f.jpg

c309b0ac.jpg

mirabile003.jpg

bowie-064-large.jpg

KnightCombat010-1.jpg

Last edited:
Some amazing examples so far, I find it a love hate relationship. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I have done one to date, it pales in comparison to the examples posted.

RyanWSanMaiChopper.jpg

Here is a cool EDC Don has done a few of. Always look forward to strapping this one on for the day.

HansonEDC1.jpg

HansonEDC3.jpg

- Joe

What Joe said... Also the fact that you don't have to 'baby' the steel as an imperfection won't stand out at all.

7268189174_2d396fb1bc_z.jpg

I like them very much especially on a user

For me kinda makes you want to use it :)

Love the ancient look

Attachments

• 7268189174_2d396fb1bc_z.jpg
    7268189174_2d396fb1bc_z.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
One area where the brut-de-forge finish looks ever so right is on period pieces such as this warhawk, which would look almost absurd with bright shiny steel:

orig.jpg

I'm not a real big fan of "Brut-de Forge", however there's no denying it works on some knives such as the one below and other's shared here.

A Don Hanson piece similar to but a little smaller than Joe's above and also of Howard Clark's 1086M.
001c.jpg

This is awesome! I love this knife, that perfect blend of elegant and usability. Who made this one? I gotta say that's the kind that would be hard for me to pass if I saw it for sale, I'd be cracking my daughters piggy bank and trying to sell anything in the garage not bolted down. :)

Red

Back