Bubble BURST! Arrrrr! re: Authentic Trade Spike Tomahawk or vintage Ice Axe ?

FINALLY! Able to post my photos. I'm also trying to edit/update this old (2014) thread with new (hopefully accurate) information.

I still say this old Spike Tomahawk Head looks/measures/weights etc. more like an authentic "Trade Hawk" vs. an Ice Hatchet judging from the photographs shown on this awesome site depicting authentic and NOT authentic/fake Spike Tomahawks. You be the judge!

https://www.furtradetomahawks.com/spike-tomahawks--continued--4.html

173459909_203388921277925_1850736912539278081_n.png

Hi all,

The following link has a picture of a Spike Tomahawk (circa late 18th.C Spike Tomahawk from New York State) that looks VERY much like the Spiked Tomahawk Head I recently acquired. This much I can tell you.....this Spike head was dug out of the ground some time ago. The Tomahawk's Eye hole was filled with Earth that was really packed in hard as cement. I removed the dirt. The Tomahawk is rusted and pitted yet still in solid condition. I have little doubt that it's condition is such that it COULD be re-handled, re-sharpened and used. The following site also has a picture of another Spike Tomahawk which they describe as "obviously dug" with pictures (labeled Spike Tomahawk dug 9.25) My Spike Tomahawk has this same type of rusting/pitting. I am at a loss trying to figure out if what I purchased might be an authentic Spike Tomahawk or a vintage (circa 1880's) Ice Chest Axe. According to the information at "Fur and Trade" this Spike Tomahawk confuses me as it has features of both an authentic Spike Tomahawk as well as a Spike Ice Axe. At any rate, for those who might be interested, this Spike Tomahawk measures just a bit over 9.75" in OAL. The RECTANGULAR Spike is about four inches long (from the Eye) and the Blade length measures 4.25" (from Eye). The blade width is approx. 1 3/4" wide (which if I understand correctly is pretty wide for a Spike Tomahawk). However, unlike a Spike Ice Axe, this Tomahawk Head weights only (WRONG INFO @ 0.8 ounces).

NOTE/UPDATED 4/16/21

In regards to the weight of Tomahawk Head (above) TYPO.

The follow is the weight of the Spike Tomahawk Head :

0.780 lbs./354g/0.354kg/12.50 oz.

I purchased this Spike Tomahawk Head from a Gentleman/Shop owner along the Maine Coast (Sagadahoc Country). I "suspect" this Head might of been un-Earthed from this general area. Even if it turns out to be a vintage Ice Axe, I like it a lot!

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/...BzedMLStRYJ48z3jpqrd2_PnW2SJrMKCViFU_HsP31iJK

Regards,
HARDBALL

http://furtradetomahawks.tripod.com/id6.html

Last edited:
Hi all,

After many hours of additional research.....I believe this is NOT an "Ice Axe" but rather an authentic Spike Tomahawk circa 18th. Century. Of course I will continue my research and (at some point) show this item to experts known to me who are Historians of 18th. Living History. Several of these gentleman are Blacksmiths as well. The Spike Tomahawk I acquired looks almost identical to the one pictured here : https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/...BzedMLStRYJ48z3jpqrd2_PnW2SJrMKCViFU_HsP31iJK

HARDBALL

You need to post some pictures of your hawk head.
Follow this link, look almost at the bottom of the page. There is a picture of two heads that look very much like what you describe.
http://furtradetomahawks.tripod.com/id20.html

this Tomahawk Head weights only 0.8 ounces
How is it that an 8" head only weighs .8 oz? I have heads that are significantly smaller (6") and they weigh about 9 oz.

Hi Arathol,

Man, I wish I could get my NEW computer set up proper like so that I can post pictures! It's driving me NUTZ being unable to post pixs.
Regarding the pictures you linked.....I have seen those two pixs before and it IS possible it could be one of those two ICE Axes as it does look almost identical however, my Spike Tomahawk looks even closer (nearly identical, perhaps even the same) as this picture : https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/...BzedMLStRYJ48z3jpqrd2_PnW2SJrMKCViFU_HsP31iJK
The ICE AXE you listed has more rounded (I believe they are called Ears ?). Mine on the other hand comes to more of a "V" (if you will) more pointy Ears as depicted in the image I posted. Also, the SPIKE on my Tomahawk has a slightly more graceful "downward" curve than the ICE Axe. The SPIKE looks more like the SPIKE in picture 52.A labeled (SPIKED TOMAHAWK CIRCA 1730-1770 Neuman book) on the same page you linked (about middle of page). Arathol, this is why I said I was confused. My Spike Tomahawk seems to have features of BOTH an authentic Spike Tomahawk and a ICE Axe. Since each Tomahawk is hand made, I figure that would account for "slight" differences in shape/size (i.e. a bit more downward curve on the Spike of my Tomhawk vs. the image I posted). As to your question about weight.....I don't know how to answer that question. Perhaps if this were buried in the ground for well over a hundred years it has lost weight due to slowly rusting away ? I dunno. The OAL of this Spike Tomahawk Head (Blade to Spike tip) is 9 3/4 inches long. I just now (using a digital scale) again weighed the Spike Head....and it reads O.812 lb. It is this 0.812 reading that (pardon the pun) is tipping the scales in my thinking that this is perhaps an authentic Spike Tomahawk (which if I understand correctly) weighs less than an Ice Axe. Arathol, I will do my best in the future to figure out this darn Computer/Photo software interface problem and post pictures. Believe you me, I want to know if what I have is truly an authentic Spike Tomahawk. Thanks Arathol for the link you provided and your help. I want to be challenged on this Spike Tomahawk head.

Regards,
HARDBALL aka Tom

Last edited:
The following link has a picture of a Spike Tomahawk (circa late 18th.C Spike Tomahawk from New York State) the HEAD 8.3" long & weighs a mere 7.2 oz.

(seven point two ounces). My Spike Tomahawk OAL is about 9 3/4" long and weighs a bit over 8 ounces so.....this seems to be correct.

HARDBALL

http://furtradetomahawks.tripod.com/id6.html

Hi all,

I had a Maine State Scientist check out my (AUTHENTIC) Trade Spike Tomahawk today. Long story short.....it IS an ICE HATCHET. Arrrrrrr! Oooh well....it was fun to have had (at least in my mind) a real Trade Spike Tomahawk for the last week lol. That being said....it STILL is a cool little (circa 19th. Century) old rusty and pitted Tomahawk (style) Hatchet with a SPIKE! On the "up side", I won't feel guilty if I now clean it up, have sharpen, re-handle and USE this little Axe. This old Axe Head provide me a LOT of entertainment/education/fun for the last week and only cost me ten dollars! Could be worse.

HARDBALL

But it could be used as a tomahawk. I sure wouldn't want to be wacked upside my head with it.

Hi Wolf,

Absolutely! Nor would I want to be WACKED with this bad boy (either end) especially after I get it sharpened. So, not an (authentic 18th. Century Trade Spike Tomahawk) but no doubt a "Tomahawk design" (and a neat NASTY one at that). This (now I.D.'ed) Ice Hatchet/Tomahawk really confused me because it LOOKS so much like the authentic Trade Spike Tomahawk pictures I researched i.e. (size, weight, shape, area) I know this is kind of odd but, I really like the pitting on this old thing. It gives it a (well) rustic look. I suspect this Axe was lost in the Woods/buried a looong time ago. I believe this Axe dates back to late 1800's early 1900's. Like I said early on in my original post, even if it turns out (as it did) to be a Ice Hatchet/Tomahawk, for the ten dollars it cost me, I LOVE it!

Regards,
HARDBALL

You need to post some pictures of your hawk head.
Follow this link, look almost at the bottom of the page. There is a picture of two heads that look very much like what you describe.
http://furtradetomahawks.tripod.com/id20.html

How is it that an 8" head only weighs .8 oz? I have heads that are significantly smaller (6") and they weigh about 9 oz.

Ugggh, not sure how I screwed up. NOTE/UPDATED 4/16/21

173459909_203388921277925_1850736912539278081_n.png

The "New" Spike Tomahawk was a copy of the old (above) Spike Tomahawk Head as made by Jarrod of H&B Forge. Awesome job Jarrod!

HARDBALL

Ugggh, not sure how I screwed up. NOTE/UPDATED 4/16/21

It only took you 7 years to spot the mistake!!:thumbsup::D:D:D

UPDATED JULY 26, 2021

Ah ha! My bubble has NOT Burst! I have been researching this "Spike Tomahawk" Head for several years! (A quick recap) : I found and purchased this Hatchet Head at an old "Junk Shop" on the Mid-Coast of Maine several years ago. The "Head" was covered with baked on Earth throughout and was no doubt "dug" out of the Earth. The "Eye hole" was filled with Earth and was as hard as Cement. I cleaned this old "Spiked Tomahawk" Head and since have spent countless hours trying to figure out exactly what I purchased.

Well, after many years, I finally got my answer! I took this "Spike Tomahawk Head" to Mr. Jeff Miller who is a renowned Historian and Blacksmith now living here in Maine. The amount of knowledge inside Mr. Millers Brain on things Historical is unreal! All along, my "Guts" told me (despite being told otherwise by others) this "Head" was NOT an old "Ice Hatchet".

I have always suspected this might be an old "Indian Trade Hatchet" however, I was unsure. What I did learn today from Mr. Miller was this "Spike Tomahawk" was indeed forged as a "Weapon!" It is made of "Steel" and the Eye Hole is "punched". I was hoping this "Tomahawk" might have been older (French and Indian War era) however, Mr. Miller said it most likely is circa 1840's (which is still pretty old).

To the best of my knowledge, most of the Indian Wars/Conflicts in Maine had ended around this period of time. The "Pork & Beans War" was happening during this time period and I have little doubt that smaller (unrecorded) "conflicts" took place here in the Wilds of Maine in the 1800's. I believe it is quite possible this "Spike Tomahawk" may have once been owned/used by an Native Indian Person here in Maine. The O.A.L. of this "Spike Tomahawk" Head measures (just a tad) under ten inches long. The Blade is about four and a quarter inches long and the Spike is about the same length. The width of the Blade Head is 1 and 3/4" wide. The weight of this "Spike Tomahawk Head" is 12.45 oz. which makes this basically suitable as only a "Weapon". This "Spike Tomahawk" Head would of most likely have be attached to a Wood handle about 14" to 16" in length for generating speed as a weapon. It's just TOO COOL!

HARDBALL

Last edited:
Back