i t was a rather odd project.
or maybe it just doesn't look exciting.
and lacks details.
perhaps they could done away
with the bolster and bore holes
in to the tang.
and do a fixed blade 560..
Probably why it’s discontinued

I’ve always thought a 110 fixed blade would be nice. The 101 didn’t match what I had in mind. I guess in my original vision I had it pictured with the standard black phenolic handle aluminum guard and pommel. But I suppose it would have been too close to the 102.

If they had used the drop point 110 blade shape, and the standard phenolic/aluminum handle it would be a neat addition to the line up and not a redundancy.

I hope I’m not being too negative on the 101. It’s still a neat little knife I’m sure it’s handy. The kind of odd ball conversation piece that makes for a well rounded collection

I’ve always thought a 110 fixed blade would be nice. The 101 didn’t match what I had in mind. I guess in my original vision I had it pictured with the standard black phenolic handle aluminum guard and pommel. But I suppose it would have been too close to the 102.

If they had used the drop point 110 blade shape, and the standard phenolic/aluminum handle it would be a neat addition to the line up and not a redundancy.

I hope I’m not being too negative on the 101. It’s still a neat little knife I’m sure it’s handy. The kind of odd ball conversation piece that makes for a well rounded collection
naw, youre making absolute sense. everything ya said makes sense to me. that said I still like it. its a good overall size and I dont care about a guard for some tasks. even the cutout on the front bolster like the 112 would be useful as a limited hand guard for certain tasks, if they made it that way. course wouldn't be a 110 fixed then really.

its strong being fixed and while I like the folder, sometimes I grab one of my 101s when i want a smaller fixed blade.

For me I went with a 117 small special. It’s the same overall length as a 110/101but has 3/4 inch more blade at 4.5 inches. And I like the handle better. The 212 is very similar as well but has a bit more stocky build with about the same blade length as a 110/101 but I think a bit thicker.

Nice score!

The old Macassar ebony was real black. The newer ebony from Taylor guitars is lighter and streaky. I’m surprised you didn’t buy them all.

I bought 2 of the 5 they had. $100 each is out of my budget for 5 knives.They gave me a 10% military discount then said because i rode up Monday and their web site did say they were open made it 15%. We plan on going back up for more wifey’s shopping. What you wanna bet at least one more comes home with me?
DN

Nice score!

The old Macassar ebony was real black. The newer ebony from Taylor guitars is lighter and streaky. I’m surprised you didn’t buy them all.
Ed, what I read was the old ebony was real black because during that time they only selected the real black to use. They left the streaked on the ground to rot. Today they use all that is harvested.

I know that is true for the streaks, but I’ve never seen new Ebony that is as dark as the old. But maybe it got darker with age too. I also remover them saying the old bony came with huge cockroaches! I don’t think Buck has ever put a bad handle on a knife.

PD70CFE7C-3CA6-4627-B2FC-ADD78CB3C7EE.jpeg
Going to open one and leave the other one sealed. Problem is which one do i open? The all mostly brown top one or the black and brown?
The other 3 they had consisted of two similar to the two tone in this picture and one with all black wood. Almost got the black but the plain brown was tugging at my heart strings.

Last edited:
PView attachment 1595646
Going to open one and leave the other one sealed. Problem is which one do i open? The all mostly brown top one or the black and brown?
depends. I prefer the black and blond mixed one myself. both are nice though. so decide which ya like better and whether to hold the one ya like better, or use the one ya like better. youre call.....

Yes exactly. Wish i could tell which one had the least blade play and better lock up. Why i hate blister packs. Also can’t see the other side but what i can see from the top and bottom they look fairly well matched.

Yes exactly. Wish i could tell which one had the least blade play and better lock up. Why i hate blister packs. Also can’t see the other side but what i can see from the top and bottom they look fairly well matched.
🤣🤣you're being funny there on blade play and lock up.

I'll help ya. sell me the mixed blond and dark and ya buy another and make it easier picking for ya. plus ya get to ride the bike again on the blue ridge.😁

Back