Buck 110 Auto Now available!

Status
Not open for further replies.
......Came with Buck's forever warranty. Two excellent examples of the 110 with a very nice auto feature.
They (BHQ) said no warranty due to being modded by third party. Darn things sold out fast.

Last edited:
They (BHQ) said no warranty due to being modded by third party. Darn things sold out fast.

KnifeCenter https://www.knifecenter.com/item/BU...de-macassar-dymondwood-handles-leather-sheath
Features

• Fast, One-Hand Opening Automatic
  • Clip Point Blade for Detailed Tasks
  • Macassar Ebony Dymondwood Handle with Brass Bolsters
  • Durable Construction
  • Leather Sheath
  • Cryogenically Treated Blade for Great Edge Retention
  • Buck's Advanced Edge2X Technology
  • Forever Warranty
  • Note the warranty card included with each knife
  • IMG_0367_zpssto6vdz2.jpg
  • Pic taken by Oregon

Last edited:
A note about the sheath. After taking the knife in and out a few times I noticed lines in the brass. After a week the rivet that holds that extra piece of leather in place is scratching the knife. That might bother some folks. It does not bother me, as I will be using this knife. I have carried this knife everyday since Friday. I will carry it off and on in my normal rotation of everyday carry knives.

I just noticed a moderately deep groove on both sides of my bolster from just inserting the knife twice in different directions to check how well it fit. I would caution anyone who wishes to keep the knife pristine to not use or even check the fitment of the sheath.

I expect to get scratches on my knife, but not from the sheath!

KnifeCenter https://www.knifecenter.com/item/BU...de-macassar-dymondwood-handles-leather-sheath
Features

• Fast, One-Hand Opening Automatic
  • Clip Point Blade for Detailed Tasks
  • Macassar Ebony Dymondwood Handle with Brass Bolsters
  • ge2X Technology
  • Forever Warranty
  • Note the warranty card included with each knife
From BHQ:
"Note: All of these are converted to an automatic by a third party and are not covered under warranty. They may have small blemishes from being machined to be automatic knives."

Interesting that Knife Center is a pre order and BHQ is sold out.

So who does warranty repair? BHQ says Buck won't do it.

The knife I'm referring to is in fact made by Buck. There is no warranty disclaimer attached to this knife. They will honor their forever warranty.
http://www.bladehq.com/item--Buck-110-Automatic-Lockback-Knife--51274
Covered:
Buck-110-Automatic-Lockback-ebony-dymondwood-satin-BHQ-51274-er.jpg

The knives BHQ are referring to that aren't covered are aftermarket conversions by a third party which voids the Buck forever warranty.
http://www.bladehq.com/item--Buck-110-DA-Automatic-Knife-Brass--50021
Not covered:
Buck-110-Brass-Rosewood-Filework-BHQ-50021-jr.jpg

I hope this helps explain it to you B BBuser . If not just give Buck a call. 1-800-326-2825 ext. 3. Let us know what they tell you.

Last edited:
Brass is soft. Every 110 and 112 I own is scratched from going in and out of the sheath. It happens. Use em enough and that will be the least of the dings and marks life dishes out. Enjoy!

Zieg

I saw these at the Mystic knife show today. Great knives! Jay Parker from SMKW had a booth set up with them as did another dealer. There were going for $125 cash

Lots of places have one price for cash and another, slightly higher price for credit card. Heck, the gas station down the street does it.

Yeah, that's a problem in 2017. It indicates a lack of business acumen. Although in the case of a corner gas station in a remote, rural location, it could be a charming naiveté, or even some kind of local pagan rite.

Last edited:
I like the knife a lot. Don't like that the sheath that comes with it has a snap tightly pressed against the knife which is going to scratch it up quickly.
I'll use a standard factory 110 sheath and risk the knife somehow opening in it rather than deal with the factory one that came with it in this case.

Couldn't that piece of leather have been sewed into place which would protect the knife?
If you haven't seen the sheath it may be hard to understand the situation, it is VERY tight, much more so than a factory 110 sheath but still has the steel snap riding/scratching against the knife.

To me the sheath is trash. Even without the added panel it's made and formed like a hollow brick. I imagine it would break in over time but by then the brass bolsters will look like a French road map. I'm gonna keep using an old softer sheath.

yep my sheath scratches the brass badly as well. a flaw in design without a doubt. these are deeper scratches not light ones that can polish out quickly.

Most of the show was "cash" sales. I didn't ask if he would take another form of payment. I am 57 years old and always assume you bring cash to shows.....I do know several dealers don't take anything but cash. I also know credit card companies charge you from 1 to 3% so it makes sense for a dealer to take cash. Finally he works for SMKW and gave out his business card...Nothing fishy going on if that's what you mean.....

Nope. Not accusing him of anything fishy without more information. But cash is the first red flag when there is something fishy going on.

A trained businessman would raise all his prices enough to defray the cost of a credit card service. That would raise all his prices from 1% to 3% depending on the percentage of his business that is cash. It only raises all his prices the full amount if all his business is credit card business. The standard varies from business to business. Then he would welcome all customers, make a higher (gross) profit, and not lose business from people like me, who don't deal in cash.

That means that from a hardcore business standpoint, dealing in strictly cash is a straight up bad business decision. A businessman who makes one bad decision at such an elemental level will make others.

From a strictly business point of view, cash has two key attributes: it's anonymous and it's irrevocable. The first means you can't prove you paid, the second means it's done. Taken together they mean no one trusts anyone, and that there are no further promises about the deal in question. That means that that warranty you're holding is worthless unless the seller is having a good day and doesn't have a headache. Cash means your only appeal is to the talk shows.

Credit cards are the exact opposite. Credit cards bring both reputations into play, in a very real way, and give both sides a hard reason to make sure no one is ripped off in any way. Credit is not just based in the concept that a buyer's word is good, it's based in the concept that the word of both parties is good, and that any dissatisfaction in the future will be addressed in good faith.

At the minimum, from a customer's point of view, dealing in cash puts all the power after the sale squarely in the merchant's hands. There's almost always a reason a businessman wants it that way.

Dealing in all cash is choosing to deal without trust, dealing in credit is choosing to deal in trust, demonstrating that you can be trusted and demanding that a seller do the same.

There is an argument that there is a difference between a seller who charges the cost of credit card sales only to credit card customers and a seller who won't take credit cards, although I tend to disagree with that. Such a seller is vastly preferable, however, to a seller who won't take a credit card at all.

Finally, if 3% means you haven't got enough money, look for a knife that is 5% cheaper. (No insult intended, there's a point where everyone, including me, will say "no, that's too much money" for any given knife.)

Oh, and I'm sixty.

Last edited:
The vendors I have interacted with at gun shows take cash or credit. They give you a price break for cash, but are happy to pass that 3% charge on to you to use a credit card. The cash option actually creates sales. I've also seen plenty of modern gas stations in modern cities do the same thing. This existed long before Trump.

visa mastercard used to threaten to pull your merchant agreement if you offered a cash discount. then under obama era they allowed a cash discount and allowed minimum fees on under a certain charge amount to use a credit card, and we saw lots of cash discount offers in thos period....now visa mastercard are back to threatening pulling merchant agreements with them of you do this. not sure if the laws changed again or of they are just being corporate hammers and getting away with it.

yep way off topic.....

Off topic sort of, but Buck is selling a product that is illegal is some areas of this country. My State is one of them. So, to Jammer Six's point, yes some people in some areas would prefer to make a cash sale/purchase to keep things anonymous and this point is relevant to thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back